| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Made a few new recipes from this book recently.

Tomato basil bisque : Easy and tasty! Nothing special to add here, just a good solid tomato basil soup. I didn't bother with the croutons, since we were having croutons on our salad.

Caesar salad : I've had better, but it was pretty good. Definitely does NOT need the added salt she calls for. It already calls for miso and capers, and with the added salt, it ended up unpleasantly salty for me. My husband said it was salty, but not bad, so I guess it depends on your salt preference.

Chipotle chop salad : Really good and easy, but the serving size is way off. She says 6 as a side salad or 4 as an entree, but the two of us easily ate the whole thing for lunch, and that was after snacking on hummus and chips while prepping.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:56 pm 
Tofu Pup

Lately I made:

Wontons with Apricot-Mustard Sauce

Didn't like them. I thought the mushroom and cashew filling was good. Apricot-mustard sauce was alright. And the recipe called for way too much oil than needed. The wontons was super greasy and it tastes like it was drenched in oil. I ate two and felt yucky.

Classic Roasted Vegetables

The roasted vegetables was good. I also added mushroom and zucchini. But again, I would use less oil next time.

Drunken Noodles in Cashew-Shiitake Broth

Absolutely love this noodle soup dish. The broth was sooooo flavorful. Just love it!

Toasting Nuts

This is from the Basic section. Just pop the nuts in oven in 350 degrees for 8 minutes and it's done.

Teriyaki Wok Vegetables

This one was great as well. The teriyaki sauce tastes so much better than store bought one or even the ones I had in restaurants. I like all the crunchy veggies, too. The sauce is great with rice.

Warm Spinach-Artichoke Dip

I know a lot of people have high rave for this recipe, but I didn't like it. Most of her dishes please even non-vegan. But this one tastes like it was "veganized". I just tastes strong flavor of tofu. Maybe it's the brand of tofu I used? I might try again with another brand of tofu.

Peanut Butter Dog Treats

My puppies Teddy and Twinkle LOVE it! I also gave some to a co-worker. She told me her little one also loves it. It's so easy to make also. Here is them trying it for the first time: http://eileenlikestoeat.com/2013/06/04/tt-tuesday-chef-chloes-peanut-butter-dog-treats/

Orecchiette in No-Cook Spinach Sauce

Nope, didn't like this one, either. Felt like it was lacking flavor. I do like the vibrant green color though.

Phew... I made a lot... haha.. and there are more to come!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

Great pictures! Yeah, the drunken shittake noodles is the one I make most from the book. Super love it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Those are lovely photos! I'm really interested in trying that soup now that I've seen it!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:20 am 
Nailed to the V

I made the tomato bisque for my mom because she is a huge fan of tomato soup. She said that I could make it for her every single time she comes over. :) She absolutely loved it. I couldn't find pumpernickel bread at Whole Foods (which was so weird) so I didn't make the croutons.

And I made the warm spinach artichoke dip again - with Mori-Nu lite firm tofu. I think it's my favorite recipe of all time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:15 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

made the spinach and artichoke dip (used medium firm tofu) and it turned out great!

the thyme cashew cream potatoes were also really good.

The avocado pasta was a bit to "guacamolely" for my tastes, although my avo's were large, which probably explains this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

The tropical island kebobs with cilantro rice were delish!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:39 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

otherdimension wrote:
the thyme cashew cream potatoes were also really good.

I like these potatoes a lot! I find that they're a good solution when I'd really like to make the recipe Isa posted on the blog a while back, but don't have the time for the extras in that recipe. This one is like a quick and dirty take on those, for me.

This cookbook...for some reason I kind of wanted to hate it, I think it was after flipping through it in the library and being bombarded by all of Chloe's glamour shots with the food. Also, my friends and I joke a lot about her "recipe" for avocado on toast. But, I finally had to buy a copy last year after I had renewed my library copy about 10 times, and stained a few of the pages with food (oops). And then, I just bought a replacement copy last month when an overwatered plant dripped down on my copy overnight and it got totally destroyed. I think I've become more dependent/in love with it than I realized!

My favorite recipe from it is the tempeh piccata, which we just had again for dinner last night. That recipe alone is worth the price of the book for me. It's just so quick and easy and perfect and comfort-y over mashed potatoes. Other favorites/hits - the orange tofu, the thyme cashew cream potatoes, the penne vodka (although I kind of mash up the one and the vcon one) & garlic bread, the buttery biscuits and the apple cake (although I find the amount of oil in this to be way off - I keep meaning to try with some apple sauce subbed, has anyone had success with this?) As I'm scanning the recipe list I'm realized there is still so much in here I haven't made! I think the piccata stands out so much for me that it ends up being my default for using this book. The one thing I made that I didn't care much for was the mongolian bbq seitan. It was waaay too meat-centric for me, although my meat eating husband liked it a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:42 pm 

I just scrolled around a bit and saw some posts about people not thinking to do avocado on toast before seeing it in chloe's cookbook, I guess my friends and I are just jerks! I guess it's something that either you know about eating or don't

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:53 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

seitanicverses wrote:
Great pictures! Yeah, the drunken shittake noodles is the one I make most from the book. Super love it!

Dang, I really wanted to love it - but it was iffy for me. Granted, I used rice noodles and dried/rehydrated shiitakes out of pantry necessity. It had a good flavor (and yummy texture from the cashews), but it got "old" fast - I had my one big bowl, and ended up throwing away the rest today (boo). Just wasn't interested in leftovers, for some reason.

Because it's so well received, I'll try again with the two correct items and see if it makes the dish!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

heatherkelly wrote:

the buttery biscuits and the apple cake (although I find the amount of oil in this to be way off - I keep meaning to try with some apple sauce subbed, has anyone had success with this?)

If I recall correctly, I used half oil and half apple sauce when I made that cake last fall. And it was very yummy, but still a touch oily. I think you'd even be ok subbing like 3/4 of the oil with apple sauce. If you try it let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:17 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

otherdimension wrote:

I keep meaning to try with some apple sauce subbed, has anyone had success with this?

We don't cook with oil and I've replaced the oil with applesauce in several of the recipes (cupcakes and cakes) and they turn out just fine. And in the Caesar dressing recipe, we replace the oil with water and it's still killer :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:45 am 

beethecookie wrote:
heatherkelly wrote:

the buttery biscuits and the apple cake (although I find the amount of oil in this to be way off - I keep meaning to try with some apple sauce subbed, has anyone had success with this?)

If I recall correctly, I used half oil and half apple sauce when I made that cake last fall. And it was very yummy, but still a touch oily. I think you'd even be ok subbing like 3/4 of the oil with apple sauce. If you try it let us know how it goes!

This is good to know! That cake is such a mystery to me. The first time I made it I (like everyone else who's made it, I'm sure) thought the batter was waaay too thick and that I must have done something wrong. The recipe says "batter will be thick", but it was like a dough almost. But then it came out perfectly, and I was amazed & we really enjoyed it. I think the next time I made it I had a similar result, but then each subsequent time I made it it came out oilier and oiler, with the last time being so oily and gross that a few bites made me feel ill and we pitched the whole thing. I'm excited to try it with applesauce because it's such a quick and easy way to use up apples that are way past their prime for eating fresh.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:46 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I tried the thyme potatoes, I didn't think they were that great. I'm not sure if it was the recipe or something I did, but that's the first disappointment out of many recipes I've tried from the book.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:42 pm 
Nailed to the V

heatherkelly wrote:
This cookbook...for some reason I kind of wanted to hate it, I think it was after flipping through it in the library and being bombarded by all of Chloe's glamour shots with the food. Also, my friends and I joke a lot about her "recipe" for avocado on toast. But, I finally had to buy a copy last year after I had renewed my library copy about 10 times, and stained a few of the pages with food (oops). And then, I just bought a replacement copy last month when an overwatered plant dripped down on my copy overnight and it got totally destroyed. I think I've become more dependent/in love with it than I realized!

My favorite recipe from it is the tempeh piccata, which we just had again for dinner last night. That recipe alone is worth the price of the book for me. It's just so quick and easy and perfect and comfort-y over mashed potatoes. Other favorites/hits - the orange tofu, the thyme cashew cream potatoes, the penne vodka (although I kind of mash up the one and the vcon one) & garlic bread, the buttery biscuits and the apple cake (although I find the amount of oil in this to be way off - I keep meaning to try with some apple sauce subbed, has anyone had success with this?) As I'm scanning the recipe list I'm realized there is still so much in here I haven't made! I think the piccata stands out so much for me that it ends up being my default for using this book. The one thing I made that I didn't care much for was the mongolian bbq seitan. It was waaay too meat-centric for me, although my meat eating husband liked it a lot.

Have you tried to Ooh La Lah Whatta Lasagna yet? That was soooo good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:10 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made the spinach and artichoke dip again, but liked it slightly less this time. I did eat it cold with some vegan mayo mixed through it, which elevated it and took away some of that tofu taste.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:51 am 

LFL wrote:
heatherkelly wrote:

Have you tried to Ooh La Lah Whatta Lasagna yet? That was soooo good.

Not yet! I always flip past that one. I'll have to give it a try!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:08 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ive made a bunch of stuff from this book since my last post.

the most recent thing i made was the mac n cheese and i was really disappointed. it was just flat out bland. my favorite mac n cheese recipe is the one in Vegan Table and it has a cashew/nooch sauce but it's more involved. i thought this one might be a quick alternative but i probably wont make it again.

other things ive made in semi recent history:

jalapeno cornbread poppers: they were ok. the name is super misleading. they are nothing like a jalapeno popper and more like a fritter

caesar salad with maple croutons: i think this is the only vegan version of a caesar salad ive ever had since i was never big into caesar salad but i REALLY like it. i love the dressing and the whole thing is super simple to make

california chipotle chop: i love this and we usually make the tofu chimichurri from AFR to go with it to make it a meal and it's a favorite in our house. the only thing i do different is i use regular chili powder since i dont have chipotle chili powder

mandarin peanut crunch salad: so yummy i just need to find vegan wonton wrappers. the time i made it i was so surprised to find any wonton wrappers at my grocery store i forgot to check the ingredients til i got home and they had egg in them. i used them but havent tried it since

we really liked both the pasta italiano and the penne alla vodka with the garlic bread

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:04 am 
WELFARIST!

LisaPunk wrote:
ive made a bunch of stuff from this book since my last post.

the most recent thing i made was the mac n cheese and i was really disappointed. it was just flat out bland. my favorite mac n cheese recipe is the one in Vegan Table and it has a cashew/nooch sauce but it's more involved. i thought this one might be a quick alternative but i probably wont make it again.
california chipotle chop: i love this and we usually make the tofu chimichurri from AFR to go with it to make it a meal and it's a favorite in our house. the only thing i do different is i use regular chili powder since i dont have chipotle chili powder
we really liked both the pasta italiano and the penne alla vodka with the garlic bread

I think Vegan Table's my fave mac and cheese too (with the, again I think, Veg News one with the potato, carrot and shallots a close second).

California chipotle chop is one of my faves and is in regular rotation for me and the garlic bread from her book is my mainstay garlic bread! I think I liked the penne alla vodka all right too but I've never gotten overly excited about any version of that dish, but yeah, I liked Chloe's version well enough.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:06 pm 

Finally tried the apple cake (iced apple squares, I think is the real name?) subbing applesauce for most of the oil. I used 1/4 cup oil and 3/4 cup of applesauce. The applesauce was some homemade canned, slightly chunky sweetened apple sauce, and the cake came out ok, but a little...thick and gluey tasting, although the more bites I had the better I liked it. It was for sure an improvement on the times it came out oil soaked and dripping from following the recipe, and didn't give me a stomachache after two bites. Next time I'm going to try and make it with commercial unsweetened (not chunky) applesauce, I bet I'd have better luck with that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:28 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I made the cinnamon-espresso chocolate chip cookies tonight. They taste good, but not great. They weren't as sweet as I would hoped, but that's my fault as I omitted the sugar coating because I didn't have any granulated sugar on hand, and I chopped an 85% chocolate bar instead of using sweetened chocolate chips. Came out kind of bitter. Maybe I'll try this recipe again without so many deviations. I'm not an experienced baker and I probably took a few too many liberties with the recipe.

Also, the dough was way too dry, I ended up adding 6 tablespoons of water to make it stick together. I also had to bake them for an extra 6 minutes as the inside didn't seem fully cooked.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:09 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

kidsdoc wrote:
I made the cinnamon-espresso chocolate chip cookies tonight. They taste good, but not great. They weren't as sweet as I would hoped, but that's my fault as I omitted the sugar coating because I didn't have any granulated sugar on hand, and I chopped an 85% chocolate bar instead of using sweetened chocolate chips. Came out kind of bitter. Maybe I'll try this recipe again without so many deviations. I'm not an experienced baker and I probably took a few too many liberties with the recipe.

Also, the dough was way too dry, I ended up adding 6 tablespoons of water to make it stick together. I also had to bake them for an extra 6 minutes as the inside didn't seem fully cooked.

Interesting! I've made those before, but I found them very, very sweet! I did use the sugar coating and chocolate chips though. I think it would definitely be the 85% chocolate bar contributing to this bitterness. Use semi-sweet chocolate (chopped or chips). I don't think the sugar coating is necessary, but it's really delicious. I should really make these again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:15 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Thanks for the feedback, bodhi. I'll definitely try the semi-sweet chocolate next time like you suggested.

Interestingly, I took the cookies to a group of medical students and they gobbled it all up in half an hour. They seemed to really like all the bitter dark chocolate flavor. So I guess they were better than I thought :) They raved about the cookies and had no idea they were vegan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:50 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Chloe announced on Facebook today her next cookbook is all Italian recipes. Yum! Some of my favorite recipes in this cookbook are the Italian ones

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:03 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Yay! Looking forward to that and hoping it isn't too mushroom-heavy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 640 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next