| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 637 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Oh LisaPunk, I'm so sad you don't like Chloe's Mac for some reason, it's one of my fave recipes! I only cook it off the website though, and heard the cookbook version is baked? I found, the other day, that baking my no-tuna casserole made the sauce lose some major flavour. I have no idea why this is, as the sauce was o tasty in the pot. I wonder if just doing it stove top would help you?

Also, when I make it, I use a pile of minced garlic instead of garlic powder in the sauce. Wonder if that makes a difference.

Don't get me wrong, it is a mild flavour over all. I just want everyone to like it as much as I do lol.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:06 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm not a fan of her Mac either, instead I prefer this one: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?catId=10&pageId=40

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:08 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Moon wrote:
Oh LisaPunk, I'm so sad you don't like Chloe's Mac for some reason, it's one of my fave recipes! I only cook it off the website though, and heard the cookbook version is baked? I found, the other day, that baking my no-tuna casserole made the sauce lose some major flavour. I have no idea why this is, as the sauce was o tasty in the pot. I wonder if just doing it stove top would help you?

Also, when I make it, I use a pile of minced garlic instead of garlic powder in the sauce. Wonder if that makes a difference.

Don't get me wrong, it is a mild flavour over all. I just want everyone to like it as much as I do lol.

I'm with you Moon....I like it just fine, but my kids LOVE it. I think it's the mild flavor (and I use the one out of the cookbook).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:09 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

my favorite is the one in the Vegan Table. it's got cashews and nooch and is baked.
yum yum

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:19 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Made the Chipotle Chop salad for Thanksgiving. It was great - even the omnis loved it (although they did ask what the quinoa was...). I thought it was a bit of a pain to saute the garlic, beans, and spices together (and I put in about 1 tsp chili powder). I think that next time I'll just add drained beans to the salad, and add the chili powder and garlic to the dressing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:06 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I just made the country meatloaf again but since I only had one packag of tempeh, I subbed a cup of reconstituted tvp for one of the packs of tempeh. It turned out quite well!

It was also the first time I've ever made the golden gravy (the last time I wanted to make it I discovered bugs in my flour) and I'm pretty sure this is now my favorite gravy! (Or at least tied with the miso gravy from reFresh.)

The beauty is, I've now got several days worth of leftovers for lunch.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:51 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the mocha almond fudge cake or whatever it's called for New Years day.
SO GOOD!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:29 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Good to know about the cake. I've had my eye on that cake for over a year now but have yet to make it. Will try it soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:39 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

the only advice i have is definitely follow the advice about adding the espresso mix to the frosting SLOWLY and tasting it to see your preferred level of espresso flavor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:11 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the Mocha Almond Fudge cake last May for my husband's b-day. it was my first foray into vegan baking. and my first thought that "I can really do this vegan thing"...baking is my hobby and I was afraid that I would have to give it up. since then I have realized that pretty much anything can be vegan-ized.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:52 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

J_Rice wrote:
Moon wrote:
Oh LisaPunk, I'm so sad you don't like Chloe's Mac for some reason, it's one of my fave recipes! I only cook it off the website though, and heard the cookbook version is baked?

I'm with you Moon....I like it just fine, but my kids LOVE it. I think it's the mild flavor (and I use the one out of the cookbook).

Needing some serious comfort food tonight, so whipped up Chloe's mac n cheese from the cookbook, although I have another go-to mac that I really enjoy - because I remembered the discussion here.

My subs were:
3 tbsp ketchup in place of 2 tbsp tomato paste/agave (no tom paste on hand)
white rice flour instead of AP
corn elbow macaroni (GF)

*book says to bake, but I didn't take that step, nor did I include the broccoli suggested in the online version

Very mild, indeed! Mildest vegan mac n cheese I've had (since many contain miso for the depth/cheesiness), and I can see why kids would like it (will test on teenager when he returns home from beach bonfire). It is reminiscent of the ol' Kraft version, IMO - and the sauce is thick and smooth from the roux, really nice mouth feel.

(ETA: the color is nice! could have been the 3rd tbsp of ketchup, but a pleasing hue: not too orange-y nor too pale)

I will be rotating this with my other old stand-by, depending on my mood. It's a nice pantry-friendly version with few ingredients.

Thanx for the commentary, friends! Always fun to make a new-to-me recipe that is someone else's tried and true. ☺

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:27 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I made my first Chloe's Kitchen recipes today.
Cheesy Broccoli Soup (Not in the bread bowl.)
The Indian Trio: Saag Aloo, Chana Masala & Veggie Biryani. (Not the garlic naan tho!)
Garlicky Greens. Subbed cavolo nero for the kale.
I found the recipes easy to follow & fairly quick & simple.
I'm looking forward to exploring this book some more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:02 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

i got the baking book from the library.

i want to make the brownies - do you think they can stay in the fridge for a few days as we eat through the pan? not much of a sweet tooth lately...i don't want to make them and they go to crepe the next day.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

for brownies it usually takes us at least a few days to eat them. i always just leave them on the counter with saran wrap over the dish. i dont take them out of the baking pan i just put the saran wrap right over that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:30 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

good to know - thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

missmuffcake wrote:
i got the baking book from the library.

i want to make the brownies - do you think they can stay in the fridge for a few days as we eat through the pan? not much of a sweet tooth lately...i don't want to make them and they go to crepe the next day.

My technique for storing baked goods is to put a few in the fridge & most in the freezer. Assuming you don't mind heating them up to eat. I like em warm.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

Made the Mushroom Stroganoff pasta dish today and threw some asparagus and tofu into the mix. Oh, and some toasted walnuts. It was very good! I was pleasantly surprised, because it just seemed like it would be blah or something. It's been a while since I pulled Chloe's Kitchen off the shelf, but it's taking up residence on my counter now while I revisit it!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Tonight was my first time cooking out of this book. I had to skip the biscuits (sad!!!!) but thoroughly enjoyed the southern black eyed pea skillet. I agree with others in that I don't know how southern it actually is, but I enjoyed the sweetness more than I thought I would. The sweet and spicy combo was nice and different from the flavours I tend to make.

I will use a bit less brown sugar next time because you folks seem to prefer it that way, and I guess that amount of sugar isn't necessary. But this will absolutely be made again!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:01 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we made the skillet once before and it's actually on deck for tonight because we liked it. i also like the biscuits with it! yum!

i have no clue if it's actually southern or not but it's quite yummy!

next time definitely make the biscuits and the maple butter! (i think i do a half recipe of the maple butter)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:08 am 
WRETCHED

I made the tempeh piccata last night, it is very yum although I bought earth balance for just this recipe but I think it can be eliminated. I don't usually buy/use margarine so now I have to figure out what to do with a tub of it.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:12 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

baked goods?

the biscuit recipe in this book?

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:18 am 
WRETCHED

Well I make bread so I could use it with that since I usually either use other oils. I also do like biscuits but with the humidity, I'm trying to avoid using my oven (I bake bread in a bread maker)

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:29 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

EB keeps for a pretty long time, I'd just hold on to it and use slowly on toast with nooch, pancakes, etc and whatnot.

Just had my left over southern skillet stuff for lunch. So yummy, again.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:30 am 
WELFARIST!

I love this book. One bonus is most of the recipes are easy and quick to prepare. One dish I tried a while back that I don't think I posted about was the barley casserole. Simple and good! I make the Chipotle Chop frequently every summer (having it today for lunch, in fact). The orange-glazed tofu and cashew drunken shittake noodles broth are other ones I make a lot from this book in my regular rotation.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:34 am 
WELFARIST!

Oh, I have to try the Southern Skillet soon! The only recipe from this book I remember not really liking was the apple cake. It was kind of greasy and I've had better apple cakes (the one from mbm's book-caramel apple cake from Don't Eat Off the Sidewalk is my standby--it reminds me of the fall and Alfred Hitchcock movies because I made it during an Alfie TCM filmfest one time--that apple cake reminds me of The Birds, specifically--and The Birds reminds me of mbm's apple cake and tempeh wingz) but Chloe's version of apple cake did improve in the fridge overnight. It seems to need to rest a day to settle into it's texture.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 637 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next