| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
 Post subject: Re: Chloe's Kitchen
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:53 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I haven't noticed anyone mention the Tropical Island Kebabs with Cilantro Rice.

I did a mashup of her seitan recipe and the IDI seitan, and on it's own it was a very bland recipe. But the kebabs, once assembled with the sauce, were so good. We also really enjoyed the cilantro rice. The sweet and sour sauce was maybe just a bit too sweet, but still super yummy. Next time I will cut the sweet just a bit.

Served with her lemon grilled asparagus. Not exactly revolutionary, but made a nice, fresh side.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:36 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Stella wrote:
1) I can't seem to find tamarind paste, only in a bottle and 2) I don't eat cauliflower.

can you clarify what you mean here?

the tamarind paste i have is in a bottle.

i found mine at an Indian grocery store and i think ive since seen it at Whole Foods (i live in the US)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:28 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Mine is in a squirt bottle; I think it's more of a tamarind sauce than tamarind paste per say. That's why I was wondering if it's the same thing, or if it's too liquid/tastes as strong for the purpose here, because there exists some in jars and in plastic wrap in a more solid form.

But then again, for the small amount the recipe calls for, maybe it's not such of an issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:07 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I got mine in an asian supermarket. It is quite thick and dark. If you can't find it I'm sure a pre made chutney would be fine and it would also cut the amount you needed to do.

I must say the cauliflower wasn't too noticeable. The flavour is masked by the spices. It wouldn't be a vegetable I would eat on its own but it worked nicely in the curry. It was mostly noticeable in appearance but it is so small that you won't even know it is there in the panini.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:11 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Thanks for the info! I will probably replace the cauliflower with another vegetable then.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:11 pm 
Saggy Butt

dragonssister wrote:
I just made the alfredo sauce and I CANNOT believe how good it is.

My surprise is that her recipes are so simple yet so wonderful. Most of her recipes do not call for a lot of ingredients and seem fairly simple to put together... but omg this sauce! HOW?! I have tried so many and none of them quite hit the mark. This one goes above and beyond. No nooch, and so creamy!

Amen, amen! I was driving home and trying to figure out what to cook - will be hitting the store later this evening, but dinner can't wait that long. I did have some cashews pre-soaked and in the fridge, so I was delighted to see Chloe's recipe was SO SIMPLE: a no-cook sauce with very few ingredients.

As minimal as the ingredient list is, I still had to make a few subs/omissions: used rejuvelac + a pinch of citric acid (in lieu of lemon) and onion powder/garlic powder (to replace the sauteed onions and garlic) because, as mentioned above, my pantry is BARE: no onions, no garlic, no lemon...! <blush>. I added just a bit of thyme and a spoonful of nooch (couldn't resist), then blitzed my cashew alfredo sauce with a bit of extra miso (because I adore it).

Even COLD out of the blender - it is PHENOMENAL. I am beyond thrilled I don't have to dirty a saucepan! Just a blender and a pasta pot, and it's a done deal.

Naturally, I find after jumping on PPK forum, others have already discovered its simplicity and majesty - so I'll just add to the accords!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:36 pm 

So I finally made the chipotle chop salad and it's REALLY GOOD. I edited the recipe slightly: chipotle Tabasco sauce instead of chipotle powder and I doubled the quinoa (or more) knowing hubby's appetite. I also only eyeballed the amounts in the dressing because lazy.

I was really hoping there would be enough leftovers for a decent lunch salad but that appears to not be a thing. Oh well. Yummy dinner for two all the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:55 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Is that one spicy or ok for a total spicy wuss? It sounds intriguing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:59 pm 

I really didn't find it spicy at all - even with a ton of chipotle Tabasco tossed in the beans it was only mildly (super mildly) warm. It would also be good with black beans tossed with mild chili powder or even just cumin and onion powder. I would probably add way more spice next time but that's just how we like things. The dressing is the predominant flavour and not at all spicy, more just agave/lime and SO GOOD

ETA: I went for the last scrapings in the bowl and the chipotle was not super hot. Again, it would all depend on what you use for seasoning and could easily be done to taste. I really wish there was leftovers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:30 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I just made the chopped salad for the first time last week and also thought it was delicious. I used chipotle chile powder,not Tabasco and it did not seem very spicy to me. There was extra leftover salad dressing (bonus). The bean/quinoa mixture would also be great as a taco filling.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:46 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

lavawitch wrote:
Is that one spicy or ok for a total spicy wuss? It sounds intriguing.

ive made the chipotle chopped salad several times but i never have chipotle powder so i just sub reg chili powder which is not spciy at all. (i am a total spice wuss)

i top the salad with the chimichurri tofu from AFR to make it a meal.
SO GOOD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:29 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Last night I made the BBQ Pineapple Pizza. It was amazing! The yeast didn't bubble at the beginning as the recipe said, so I was worried for my dough, but it turned out great. I used store-bought vegan BBQ sauce and canned pineapple. I love the combination of a sweet element (pineapple) with savory dishes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:49 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

So this past week I made two great recipes for the first time from this book. The pasta in the no-cook spinach sauce. Wow that sauce is amazing. My whole family devoured it. So easy and so good.

The second recipe was the L.A. style chimichurri tacos. They were really good as well. My husband was skeptical about the not so familiar taco fillings but he ended up really liking them as well. It was a nice change to the traditional tacos fillings.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:13 pm 
WELFARIST!

Moon wrote:
I haven't noticed anyone mention the Tropical Island Kebabs with Cilantro Rice.

I did a mashup of her seitan recipe and the IDI seitan, and on it's own it was a very bland recipe. But the kebabs, once assembled with the sauce, were so good. We also really enjoyed the cilantro rice. The sweet and sour sauce was maybe just a bit too sweet, but still super yummy. Next time I will cut the sweet just a bit.

Served with her lemon grilled asparagus. Not exactly revolutionary, but made a nice, fresh side.

I've made this before. It was really good but I'm just not a huge seitan fan.

Also, the chipotle chop is one of my total mainstay recipes. I make it often! So easy, fresh-tasting and good. A nice filling lunch salad. I always double the quinoa, too--I cook up 1/2 cup dried quinoa and use that in the recipe.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:53 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I made the Tropical Island Kabobs last night. I didn't use seitan but added zucchini to the kabobs. I have tons of fresh veggies from the market so served with fresh wax beans and a green salad. Great meal. The combo of the cilantro rice, grilled veggies and sweet and sour sauce was awesome. I especially loved the pineapple. Next time I'll add extra pineapple because it was so good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:22 am 

A few nights ago I made the mu shu vegetables with home made pancakes. This was a really fun change of pace for taco night! I had to very diligently flour my cutting board and rolling pins to keep things moving forward with the dough.

I don't know if hoisin + soy sauce is an authentic mu shu flavour but man! mine was mouth burning lay salty. Maybe it depends on the brand of hoisin. Alas, I will fiddle with it next time.

Finally, I used IDI seitan instead of tofu, sliced really thin and browned well and it was so meaty tasting in the end result.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:54 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Made the Pineapple Not-So-Fried Rice yesterday, but with some exclusions (raisins and cashews), and I used brown rice instead of jasmine. I don't know why I waited so long to make this; quick and easy, and so flavorful. Didn't serve it in a pineapple boat though... that would've been awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:58 pm 

On the weekend I had a glut of very ripe tomatoes and friends coming for lunch so I made a quick quinoa salad and the tomato basil bisque from this book.

The soup was really tasty but I had to add some water to get four reasonably sized portions. Like, it worked for that day but I'm used to soups making quite a bit. So I will have to keep that in mind for the future.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:53 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

has anyone made the happy birthday cake with the frosting? ive made the cake a few times (so yummy!) but never the frosting that goes with it. i usually make a frosting from VCTOTW but i was thinking of making the corresponding frosting this time.

sometimes i feel like Chloe's frostings taste like shortening but since this one has melted chocolate in it i thought it might taste more like regular frosting.

any reviews?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:47 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I made the Indian Buffet tonight. It was great!

Garlic Naan - this was super easy and I love fresh bread
Chana Masala - this was pretty solid. I liked the brown sugar added at the end, but Isa's version is a little better in my opinion.
Saag Aloo - this was delicious, creamy and filling. I really liked this addition.
Vegetable Biryani - this was the star of the show in my opinion. I was skeptical with the spice profile and the raisins, so much so that I almost left the raisins out. So glad I followed the recipe and I am sure that I will make this again and again. I could also see myself sneaking bites of the leftovers with a spoon at 2am this morning.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:39 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Lunch today was the lentil, butternut squash and apple stew. I baked some fresh ciabatta to have with it. It was the perfect blend of sweet and spicy (from the curry) and super simple. Will definitely make again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the pasta bolognese tonight and neither me nor my husband really liked it.
it was just kinda meh to us.
i was surprised because it seems like a lot of people on this thread really liked it but maybe it was a different recipe everyone liked?

i like mushrooms but this tasted overly mushroomy to me and i also thought i could taste the flour you mix in.
i dunno it just wasnt our thing i guess

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 647 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26