| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed May 25, 2016 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eaternity
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:00 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Just received my copy today. Thumbing through and it looks gorgeous and well thought out. It's one of those cookbooks I want to sit down and read - lots of interesting information in each section. More later when I have time to mark out and try some recipes!!

Post subject: Re: Eaternity
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:15 pm 
WRETCHED

So how is it on the woo scale? I saw it was endorsed by Kris Carr, Vani Hari and David Wolfe, which turned me off on it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:14 am 
Not NOT A Furry

It's woo, but I've seen worse. It's more, "nutrient x is important for y to function properly, which may help with z....here are some recipes containing x," rather than "nutrient x is THE cure for z." That said, skipping the page or two at the beginning of each chapter should help. The little paragraph before each recipe reiterates which nutrients in the ingredients are supposed to be helpful with whatever the chapter is about, (better skin, heart health, supporting muscle growth, better sex, etc.), but no reasonable person is going to count on the melatonin in brown rice helping them get to sleep.

His background is in raw food and that comes through in some of the "superfoods" used. Cordyceps, chlorella, mesquite, lucuma, and more...they're all here, mostly in smoothies, and easily left out. I've only made the hazelnut horchata, which would be hard to mess up, so I can't judge the recipes yet other than to say that if you take away the special ingredients and ideas about eating certain foods to help with certain conditions, you're left with what appears to be a basic beginners' cookbook with an emphasis on fresh ingredients put together simply.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:04 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I've been considering this! Would you say the recipes are fairly easy and straightforward? Though the odds of me ever buying cordyceps are only a bit higher than the odds of me buying a nuclear warhead, the few recipes I can see in the Amazon preview do look pretty good...

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:28 pm 
Tofu Pup

I have tried quite a few recipes from this cookbook and the are really easy to make. The butternut squash mac and cheese was divine! The jackfruit tacos was super easy to make and delicious! There are superfood ingredients but not every recipe calls for them. And I enjoy reading the information provided in the book.