| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oh She Glows Recipe App
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:49 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I suh-wear I searched for this before posting-I suspect it's been discussed before but I didn't find anything, so I apologize if this is a duplicate thread!

Anywho... Did anyone get the Oh She Glows app? I love her recipes and am considering downloading it, but I usually test drive cookbooks from the library before buying... obvi not an option here. If you have it, do you like it? Are the recipes new & substantially different from her existing recipes? Are they weeknight-friendly? Any insight appreciated!!

Post subject: Re: Oh She Glows Recipe App
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:14 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Most of the recipes are from her blog and book. There are some bundles that were free when I signed up (but might be paid now) that I don't think are on the blog, but the recipes are very similar to the kind of thing she usually makes. Favorites from the books and blog are there, like the avocado pasta, 10 vegetable soup, and chili, as well as most of the new recipes she puts on her blog. I like the app because the interface is much easier to use when I'm in the kitchen actively cooking than scrolling through Safari or Kindle on my phone, plus the ability to favorite things is great. I don't remember how much it cost, but overall I wouldn't recommend purchasing it for recipes specifically. I would recommend it for a great user-friendly way to access her recipes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:08 pm 
Naked Under Apron

About how many recipes are there, compared with the cookbook? Does it have all the cookbook recipes or only some?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:24 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

yaylentils wrote:
Most of the recipes are from her blog and book. There are some bundles that were free when I signed up (but might be paid now) that I don't think are on the blog, but the recipes are very similar to the kind of thing she usually makes. Favorites from the books and blog are there, like the avocado pasta, 10 vegetable soup, and chili, as well as most of the new recipes she puts on her blog. I like the app because the interface is much easier to use when I'm in the kitchen actively cooking than scrolling through Safari or Kindle on my phone, plus the ability to favorite things is great. I don't remember how much it cost, but overall I wouldn't recommend purchasing it for recipes specifically. I would recommend it for a great user-friendly way to access her recipes.

Super helpful-thank you!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:35 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

80 recipes, similar in distribution to the recipes on her blog (some main courses, baked goods, and soups, with many smoothie recipes, oatmeals, and other things you might not follow recipes for). Not all of the book recipes - just a few favorites. The attraction is really the UI rather than the recipes. It's easy to get to the instructions, ingredients, and tips, every recipe has a picture, and an extensive set of filters that can be applied on top of each other (including some handy non-standard ones like season and budget friendliness).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:15 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I love the app! You don't have to search the blog and the interface is wonderful- your phone doesn't sleep while you're cooking. It's also fun just to have it on my phone so I can browse through beautiful pictures and recipes for inspiration- it's always at your fingertips. She keeps adding recipes and the ones that are there are well chosen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:01 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm into it. The interface is really nice and intuitive. You can also cross out the ingredients and directions with one touch and it adds a strike-through. I also like that it keeps your phone from going into sleep mode. Super-helpful! I would say that if you cook from her blog often (or want to make recipes from her blog!), then it is worth it.