| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let Them Eat Vegan!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:46 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I really like the Winter pistachio basil pesto (don't remember the name) and the spinach pizza cheese (which seems more to me just like pesto rather than a cheese but still yummy!). I have made the Winter pesto like once a week and put it on pasta and Trader Joe's pizza dough. This book is so great, the recipes really fit my lifestyle of needing to get dinner made fast with minimal fuss.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I don't remember if anybody has mentioned the BBQ Sunflower Tofu yet.

Millenijen's post inspired me to try to find a quickie dinner idea since I hadn't used this book yet;it was part of my kindle cookbook binge last month.

I really wasn't sure about this at first. Wasn't thrilled when I tasted the uncooked sauce, and first bite didn't thrill me either, but this is one of those things that seems to get tastier with each bite.

Even better, it takes 5 minutes to get in the oven and clean up! I ate it with a baked potato and some canned collards, so it was a super tasty dinner with almost zero effort.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:58 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Yesssss! I love the BBQ Sunflower tofu - but i've never done it with sunflower seeds, only other nut butters. So yummy and doesn't taste virtuous. The sauce really needed that time to bake to become delicious.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:21 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I baked it about 45 minutes. Baked story recipes never seem to cook long enough.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:53 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

It was very good! (The No-Fu loaf)... I have leftovers for lunch today and I cant wait.

This morning, I'm making the Wholesome Oat Snackles. But I subbed half the applesauce (I ran out lol) with a banana. I guess it will make it sweeter for my son to enjoy?

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:28 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Glad to be an inspiration, Lavawitch! You have inspired me to try the bbq sunflower tofu!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:11 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I got this book for Xmas & I finally got round to making my first recipe from it. Fragrant kidney bean & lentil dhal. I used black beans instead (which is actually given as an option.) It was okay but felt it lacked something so I added extra garlic, salt & some lemon juice. Very nice.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the chocolate-dipped strawberry pie yesterday. Delicious! I used oreo cookies for the crust and topped the pie with more sliced strawberries and pomegranate seeds.
I can't post the picture but if you go here http://instagram.com/p/V7fQ1FhgFq/ you can see a picture! I would definitely make it again, maybe with a coconut whipped topping.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:39 pm 

ComradeSquirrel wrote:
I made the chocolate-dipped strawberry pie yesterday. Delicious! I used oreo cookies for the crust and topped the pie with more sliced strawberries and pomegranate seeds.
I can't post the picture but if you go here http://instagram.com/p/V7fQ1FhgFq/ you can see a picture! I would definitely make it again, maybe with a coconut whipped topping.

Wow. That looks awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:30 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

The other day I went to the grocery store near my motherinlaw and walked out with a one-quart crock pot, Veganomicon and LTEV. I was very pleased with myself. This was a LTEV weekend and I made the following:
Mexican soup - excellent, especially reheated, quick and easy
Chipotle Avocado cream - excellent again, rich and creamy, makes a lot
Vegveeta dip - nice too, it's better freshly made than reheated
White bean artichoke dip - really nice too. Next time I'll use a blender instead of FP, didn't get it smooth enough
No-Fu loaf - I looove this, omni hubby liked it too. But I needed a lot more liquid than indicated
(also uses bulgur and as GF replacement, steel cut oats. Cooking time for these two are totally different
and that has to be accounted for if going that route, with no indication in the recipe)
Rosemary gravy - really really good, deep, rich flavour. A great gravy to make for omnis, hubby says it has a
"meaty" flavour to it
Thai almond chickpea curry - great again, though I didn't taste the almond butter at all in it. Really needs more spices

That being said we like our food spicy and I had to add extra to all the dishes to our liking. But as previously said she cooks for kids and we usually have to kick up the spices for most recipes.

By the way the chipotle avocado cream keeps very well, I made it 3 days ago and today it tastes as good as right after it was made.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:51 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

For dinner tonight I made the French Lentil Soup with Smoked Paprika (again) and the Kale Slaw with Curried Almond Dressing along with a corn bread from a different book. While both recipes from LTEV are good, the Kale Slaw is absolutely amazing. I think it is the best salad I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy. It's great!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:58 pm 
WELFARIST!

weaver wrote:
For dinner tonight I made the French Lentil Soup with Smoked Paprika (again) and the Kale Slaw with Curried Almond Dressing along with a corn bread from a different book. While both recipes from LTEV are good, the Kale Slaw is absolutely amazing. I think it is the best salad I have ever had the pleasure to enjoy. It's great!

I've missed that recipe somehow! Must make soon!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:10 am 
Saggy Butt

weaver wrote:

I must be the only person that doesn't like that kale slaw. I don't like nut-based creamy dressings with kale and I found the dressing under-flavoured.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:16 pm 

Eating the sweet potatoe, black bean and quinoa croquettes right now with the chipotle pumpkin seed cream. Both recipes are really delish. The cream is soooo good, would make a great sandwich topper too. I heated the croquettes in a sandwich maker at work, I don't think they would be great reheated in the microwave.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:58 am 
WELFARIST!

Made the Kale Slaw with Curried Almond Dressing. I added more curry powder and a little cayenne for some heat and subbed red bell pepper for the fennel. It's good, but next time I will just use almond butter because I do not have a high powered blender and it is a little gritty. I even soaked the almonds all day, and it didn't do much good. I would also massage the kale, because it did not wilt down like the directions said it would and it's kind of hard to eat this way.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:26 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

The sauces and dressings chapter is solid. Made the raw-nch dressing yesterday, which was delicious (my dad also put some on his salad), and I've previously had the cumin spiced dressing, the velveeta cheese sauce, the kd dip, and the citrus tahini dressing. All fantastic. I should try something else from this book though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:00 pm 

Finally tried the curried almond dressing and it's my go to salad dressing from now on, love it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:51 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Loved the thai chickpea curry. I used peanut butter and red peppers instead of almond butter and zucchini. This is one thing I really love about Dreenas recipes, that she suggests substitutions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:05 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I made the Kids Cheesy White Bean and Chickpea Soup for my baby. He really liked it and so did my Mom. (Unfortunately, the soup gave the baby a rash. I hope he's not allergic to nooch.)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:51 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

This arrived earlier in the week. I'm so looking forward to cooking from it in the cookbook challenge. I probably wouldn't have thought about this book if it hadn't come up in the challenge.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:32 pm 
WELFARIST!

Love Child wrote:
Loved the thai chickpea curry. I used peanut butter and red peppers instead of almond butter and zucchini. This is one thing I really love about Dreenas recipes, that she suggests substitutions.

I love that too! I did mine with red peppers (but almond butter) too. Nom.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I bought this about a month ago in a fit of 'I'M GOING TO BE HEALTHY NOW' excitement and then never made anything. But! This week I made the jerk chickpeas. They were really good, much quicker than other 'jerk' stuff I've made before, and I liked that there was no marinating time so I didn't have to get anything organised in the morning. Made me realise that I need to eat chickpeas as a main dish way more often than I do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:40 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Dreena's thai chickpea curry with capsicum, mushrooms, and peanut butter is my life food

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:22 pm 

Lentil and walnut burgers - delish. Wish I'd made one of her dipping sauces to go with it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:30 pm 

I just made the thai almond chickpea curry. I use courgettes & red pepper & added plenty of chili flakes. I have never baked a dish like this before. It is gorgeous. I love chickpeas I do! This was the recipe that made me want to get the book in the first place.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next