| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let Them Eat Vegan!
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:12 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Love the things I've tried/tasted from this book:
Quinoa Corn Chowder Casserole - worried it would be bland, but it was creamy, comforting, homey, and all things delicious. Not bland.
Cocoa cookie dough balls - SO EASY! SO HEALTHY! SO YUUUUMMMY! Love em, straight out of the freezer.
Thai Chickpea Almond Curry - new favourite recipe. Absolutely adore it.
Didn't love the scented Dhal and indian-spiced rice, but that was cooked *for* me, not by me.
Loved the sweet potato croquettes with chia and flaxseed. So delicious.

Loving the book, and the fact that most things are simple enough to make, and require minimal cleanup.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:03 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Has anyone tried the blueberry muffins?

I was pretty impressed with the Quinoa Corn Chowder Casserole, I made it because it looked pretty quick and easy but the flavour was fantastic! Much more delicious then I had anticipated.
I tried out the Mushroom pecan burgers, they weren’t my favourite burger recipe but they were pretty still mighty tasty, I like the addition of the balsamic vinegar. I tried cooking a few in foil on the BBQ and failed miserably, so I don’t recommend attempting this.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:11 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I've made the Mexican Soup and the Chipotle Avocado Cream sauce. Both were fantastic. For the soup, I used less liquid and it was more of a stew. I served it over rice with the Avocado Cream on top. Yummy!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 7:18 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I made the white chili. It was delicious!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:17 am 

Absolutely loving this the more and more I try. The berry patch brownies are pretty amazing, and I tried one of the vegie burgers (non nut, mildly spiced) and they held together *brilliantly*. And I mean *brilliantly*. I have never had a vegie burger hold together so perfectly.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:27 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Cashew chive spread is delicious. Will be great on a bagel if it lasts until morning, which is doubtful.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:46 pm 

Last night, tried the lemon infused mediterranean lentils & the sunshine fires (sweet potato fries with big chunky salt flakes & rosemary), so incredibly delicious but so, so simple and minimal clean up. Loved 'em both.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:58 am 

I made the Applesauce Oat Muffins over the weekend. They tasted like what I remember donuts to taste like. Very good and my super picky toddler loved them too. Bonus!

I also made the Smoked Paprika French Lentil Soup, it was very yummy and my picky toddler loved it too. I pureed his though.

I am lovin this cookbook!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:01 am 

mattomic wrote:
Last night, tried the lemon infused mediterranean lentils & the sunshine fires (sweet potato fries with big chunky salt flakes & rosemary), so incredibly delicious but so, so simple and minimal clean up. Loved 'em both.

I want to try those Lemon Mediterranean Lentil so badly. They sound so good. Good to know they are, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:29 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Finally made the Thai Chickpea Almond Curry, really yummy! The sauce didn't thicken as much as I expected but it was still really tasty! I used zucchini but I'd really like to try it with some different veggies.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:24 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Made the Mac-oh-geez tonight. Deeeelish. Creamy and decadent. Loving this cookbook!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:05 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the Blueberry Coffee Cake yesterday and it was great! I think this is my now go-to coffee cake recipe. I don't know what it is with me...everytime I get a new cookbook the first thing I always make is a dessert. Can't wait to try others.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:45 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

PorshaJo, I am exactly the same. LTEV does not disappoint :) I've had it two days and already put sticky notes on 7 of the dessert recipes!

Yesterday, I made the coconut banana muffins. So good! They are made with half spelt and half oat flour resulting in a really nice texture - just enough bite to be hearty but still light. I don't feel bad munching them for breakfast either since they have minimal fat and not too much sugar.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:16 am 
Saggy Butt

ComradeSquirrel wrote:
PorshaJo, I am exactly the same. LTEV does not disappoint :) I've had it two days and already put sticky notes on 7 of the dessert recipes!

Yesterday, I made the coconut banana muffins. So good! They are made with half spelt and half oat flour resulting in a really nice texture - just enough bite to be hearty but still light. I don't feel bad munching them for breakfast either since they have minimal fat and not too much sugar.

Ha! I also tagged a number of cookie recipes. Though those muffins sound really good too. I love anything with coconut. I might have to check them out next.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:15 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I just put a hold at the library. I have a couple of other of Dreena's books, and while I don't use them much, I like them a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:14 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks for all the recipe experiences from this book. I have ED&BV and enjoy a lot of the recipes but don't find myself picking it up often enough. I went back to realize many ED&BV recipes require ingredients I don't often have on hand or require using a food processor which I don't have at my apartment. I'm keeping LTEV on my list of cookbooks to purchase, though. Keep the reviews coming!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:14 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Made the Mexican bean soup and pumpkin seed chipotle cream. Yum, both delicious and I would make them again.
I also made the Troll cookies and they were good. I would make them again for travelling or keeping at work. They'd make a great mid-morning or afternoon snack I think. And hopefully help keep me away from more sugary fatty treats!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:38 pm 

I made the Kids Cheezy Chicpea and White Bean Soup. I totally pureed it but she says to try it chunky if you want to. I love pureed soups and this one was very delicious too! I will be making this again and again for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:39 pm 

Oh, I want to add that I put about 1 tablespoon on white miso in the soup....it makes everything taste more cheesy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Made the Three's Company Pie (banana, PB, choco) and omg omg omg. So forking good! I'm at my parent's house today and there is already only one slice left in the fridge!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:15 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

enjoying this book a lot so far. i have made:

date nibblers- turned out well, yummy and healthy!

berry patch brownies- made them last night, gone in 24hr. needed a little more time in the oven, otherwise 2 thumbs up.

carrot miso dip- not bad, but a little too thin. the coriander and carrots went well together. would make again omitting some water and adding it in as needed.

we are making the thai chickpea curry dish this week that i am excited about.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:25 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I am not having very good luck with this cookbook -- Saturday I made the Too Good to be Tofuburgers and they were piles of burnt goop in my pan. I also struck out with one of her tahini dressings -- it was too strong to be palatable. There are a few other recipes I want to try and if they don't work out, I'll just keep it for the cookie/dessert recipes.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:58 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Made the falafel on the weekend, I ended up burning the ones in the pan, so I baked the rest. Really great flavour, although husband wasn’t a huge fan of the cilantro. I think I’d bake them for a bit and finish them off in the pan next time. Had them with the smoky tahini sauce, which I really liked.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:19 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

made the almond chickpea curry last night-subbed potatoes for zucchini, added red,yellow,and orange peppers, omitted the ginger (none on hand, what?!?) on top of orzo (out of rice too). pretty good although i think the potato and orzo sucked up too much flavor. will definitely make again with ginger and rice as it is a pretty tasty, easy weekday meal.

made the banana chia muffins and they were fantastic! moist, dense but not too much so, healthy but doesn't taste overly healthy. i used black chia instead of white and did not grind them first and it still turned out great. my only complaint is that they went too fast.

the bRAWnies were fantastic too. instead of coconut butter, i subbed half coconut oil half almond butter in the frosting and topped it with cacao nibs. definitely needs to be eaten from the the fridge.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:49 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Made the lemon infused mediterranean lentils but opted not to cook the lentils with the oil and juice, fearing my lentils would never soften. Well, my lentils turned kind of mushy instead.... Still SUPER tasty, though. So my tip is to actually follow the recipe or drain your lentils so they don't turn to mush (I even used du Puy lentils).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next