| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let Them Eat Vegan!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:59 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Need to try those Mediterranean lentils soon!

I made the anise and coriander infused lentil orange soup today. Mmmm mmmm mmm! Really comforting, tasty and filling. I actually hate the taste of anise but it's really just a hint and it's add a nice little something something I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:36 am 
Saggy Butt

The kale curry salad is super yummy, although I increased the curry powder as I didn't think it was enough. I didn't have fennel so I just cut up the rest of a cabbage I had in the fridge, it added a nice crunch.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:29 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I'm a bit disappointed in this book overall. I don't find it to be very balanced; it's very heavy on desserts, baked goods, dressings and sauces. I'm finding it hard to actually make a meal out of it. And the ingredient lists look really long because there's too much unnecessary description in them (like every time veg broth is mentioned it takes up a couple of lines). Can anyone recommend a really yummy main meal that will restore my faith in it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:06 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I really enjoyed the chickpea basil tart, with the spices amped up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:48 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

So far I've made the smoky sweet potato/black bean salad and the bbq sunflower tofu (with tahini instead of sunflower seed butter). Wasn't impressed with any of them. They were just edible. Hopefully I'll have more luck with this book in the future, because a lot of the recipes look really good.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:57 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I just made the anise coriander lentil soup again. So yummy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:56 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Raspberry Swirl wrote:
I have my copy of Dreena's new book in my hands right now. It looks great! I'm a big fan of her recipes. My first try will be the Jerk Chickpeas.

I like that it was published in March 2012. I don't know if it was intentional, but the title of the book recycles part of phrase used for a vegan hating web site. I really like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:13 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

yay my hold at the library is finally available and I get to pick up this book today! Can't wait!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:58 am 
Chard Martyr

Efcliz wrote:
I'm a bit disappointed in this book overall. I don't find it to be very balanced; it's very heavy on desserts, baked goods, dressings and sauces. I'm finding it hard to actually make a meal out of it. And the ingredient lists look really long because there's too much unnecessary description in them (like every time veg broth is mentioned it takes up a couple of lines). Can anyone recommend a really yummy main meal that will restore my faith in it?

I don't really understand the theme of the book. Is it kid-friendliness or allergen-free or both? Why so few entrees and SO MANY desserts?

I really like ED&BV, but this one is falling short for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:28 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

vijita wrote:
Efcliz wrote:

I don't really understand the theme of the book. Is it kid-friendliness or allergen-free or both? Why so few entrees and SO MANY desserts?

I really like ED&BV, but this one is falling short for me.

The dessert chapter does indeed take up a lot of space. Kind of a bummer for me, I never eat dessert...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:11 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Kale-Slaw with Creamy Curried Almond Dressing
Thought it was good but not really a fan of creamy dressings with kale. It was good, not great and I think the dressing would be better with other greens. I tried to massage the dressing into the kale to help wilt it, too.

Jerk Chickpeas
Super easy. Very tasty, nice combo of flavours. Used only 1.5-2 cups of chickpeas (1 can).. who writes recipes for 2.5 cups chickpeas??? :P

Thai Chickpea Almond Curry
Used peanut butter. Very easy to make... I made it but didn't eat it since our red curry paste isn't vegan but R loved it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:17 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I just got this book from Amazon. I'm so excited to start trying some of the recipes. This book seems healthier then her last book, and going from the introduction it seems like that's what she was going for. That's a great change for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:45 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Made a few more things from this book recently:

The Quinoa Corn Chowder Casserole was good but not great. Easy to make and healthy, just needed the spices ramped up a bit and wasn't as creamy as I had hoped. Is on the make again list though.

The Creamy Kale Salad was good, although I despise nut and fruit in my salads (don't flame me!) so I didn't add those and used cucumber, celery, carrot, and peppers. The dressing was good but needed more curry (i added a ton more but that is just me) and still was slightly bland per my husband. Nothing that a few extra spices won't fix.

The "Vegveeta" is to die for-especially when you add the salsa. My husband, who has been vegan for well over 20 years now, declared it his favorite queso dip to date. Nice, thick, flavorful, and easy to make.

The Sugar-Free Chocolate Cake was yummy. I subbed dates for the prunes since we didn't have prunes on hand. It was nice and moist had a 'healthy' taste to it (not a bad thing-just not overly sugary) which I counteracted with her Coconut Cream Cheese frosting (love that stuff even if it is a tad pricey to made due to the coconut butter).

The Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream is delish! The consitency is nice and creamy, holds up well in the freezer (doesn't turn rock solid or icy). Adding cookies (or graham crackers too I am sure) pushes it over the edge. I have made Isa's ice cream from V-Con too and I would say they turned out equally well in terms of consistency after being put in the freezer.

The Cocoa Cookie Balls weren't my favorite. Still totally edible but the raisin flavor came through too much for me and made them taste too healthy (not a huge raisin fan over here)-maybe adding the chocolate chips next time would help.

Finally, I have been into making raw desserts this summer and made a few of hers. The raw Banana Nut Squares were just amazing. The banana layer turned into this creamy delicious center and the frosting was perfect with it. The Chai Bars were great as well-better with the frosting added. Be sure to keep both in the fridge otherwise the frosting gets melty.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:29 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the warmly spiced quinoa chickpea stew with figs today for dinner. I hate fennel so replaced it with celery.
After the quinoa was cooked, it tasted quite bland which surprised me since it used so many spices and herbs. I added a little more salt and pepper and a couple extra pinches of curry powder and basil and left it to sit while I got my side dishes together. When I served it, it seemed like the flavours had developed more and the figs sort of melted in and gave it a nice subtle sweetness. Good stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:06 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I made the chia banana muffins and the festive chickpea pie over the past couple of days, and I really like both. The muffins turned out really well, and I love the chickpea pie, though I made mine without a crust. I actually could see that working as a replacement for stuffing around the holidays, since I'm trying to eat less gluten.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:07 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I made the chia seed pancakes today for breakfast, with the strawberry sauce. The pancakes were really light and fluffy, and the sauce went really well with them, and was super easy to make.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:29 am 
Saggy Butt

I made the Thai chickpea almond curry last night subbing 3/4 cauliflower and 1/4 red pepper. I've made quite a few recipes from this book, but this was the best by far. My nonvegan adult son ate 3 servings for dinner and is now eating the leftovers for breakfast. Chia banana muffins (added walnuts) were good, too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Really liked the red lentil, orange, coriander and star anise soup. Thanks for the tip!

Also enjoyed the tomato, lentil and dill soup.

The green onion cashew cheese was a bit underwhelming so added more spices, miso, etc.

I found the warmly spiced quinoa and chickpea stew with figs to be too sweet with the figs. I also found it more akin to curry with all the spices.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:49 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Has anyone made the white bean sweet potato pasta? I thought I'd make this for dinner today. Don't have any high expectations though, everything I've made from this book, except the citrus tahini dressing, has just been "ok" or not even that. But I want to give this book another chance.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:29 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

The white beans sweet potato pasta was actually very good. But the texture was more like a thick soup than a pasta sauce. I could definitely see myself thinning it out and eat it as a soup, but next time I make it for pasta I'll sub cashews for some of the beans to make it creamier. I was quite generous with the nutmeg, and also added some sage and onion powder. Really tasty.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:43 pm 
WELFARIST!

I'm just making my first recipes from this book. Quinoa Nicoise: Nicoise is probably my favorite type of meal/hearty salad so I've tried many and this is pretty good. Not my fave, but very good and tres healthy. Like someone upthread, I balked at the 1 tbsp. Dijon and I did put it all in and it is bordering on maybe too-Dijony but I think it may settle in and be fine in a few hours, we'll see.

I'm debating making the "cream cheese" brownies (the cream cheese part is a cashew-based filling) for sis's b-day tomorrow and I haven't yet started soaking my cashews and it's getting late so I dunno. I might wind up boiling cashews at midnight. Also, I don't have a plain decent quality dark chocolate bar the recipe calls for but I have chocolate mint. Think I should just use that and skip the salting part? I think they should be all right with a choco mint topping. Still not sure if I'm making these but my all time favorite brownie recipe is actually one of Dreena's from ED&BV so I have supreme faith (the maple walnut pecan brownies--but it must be cooked in my brownie edges pan to be my fave because the edges pan carmelizes it to perfection) and so I'd make these brownies in my edges pan too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:36 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My partner's Mum made the Quinoa Nicoise and I loved it.. I haven't tried the salted cream cheese brownies, but the berry patch brownies are LOVELY.. and yes, my all time fave brownies are Dreena's too (but the fudgy ones from Vive Le Vegan)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

The cream cheese brownies came out really well. I did worry about the cashews coming out "creamy" enough and I didn't want grittiness in the filling and I've never used my immersion blender to pulverize them before, either, but it seems to be a non-issue in the end and the cashew cream cheese actually came out awesome. It baked well, it mimics cream cheeze nicely and isn't a problem at all in this recipe. I whirred them with my immersion blender for a full five minutes to be sure they were really well ground.

The hardest part of this recipe for me, and I knew it would be, was neatly managing the top layer in my edges pan which never did patch together too completely in the oven. Next time, I'd flatten the top sections a little more beforehand before globbing the dough strategically on the cream cheese layer. The top was very patchy when I put them in the oven, and pretty much stayed that way though the oven heat helped a little bit, especially with the topping chocolate. I also used an orange chocolate bar which is a nice choice for the final topping. I wasn't 100% sure I liked these when I tried my first brownie about 45 minutes after taking them out of the oven but when they had a couple of hours to settle, after about two hours, all the flavors had settled in and the texture was right and I liked them then and decided this recipe was a keeper.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:14 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Moroccan Bean Stew with Sweet Potatoes - Not my favourite. A bit heavy on the fennel although it mellowed out as leftovers. I omitted the blacks beans as there were enough beans already!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:15 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made the moroccan bean stew with sweet potatoes and really, really liked it - ended up using dates instead of figs, however.

Perhaps it was a bit heavy on the fennel because you removed a pound of beans from the ingredients? They would have soaked up a bunch of flavour.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next