| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 63  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:34 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1561
Location: santa cruz!
Hey everyone, I have this book, but I've been too intimidated to bust into it yet. Now, I have a big party coming up in a week, and I want to make a veganized version of this feta-cream cheese spread (http://thepomegranatediaries.com/2012/1 ... se-spread/)

Are there any suitable recipes here that I could make in just 6 days? I know I could sort through it all again, but I'd love some tips from those of you who've done it already. thanks!!!

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:45 am 
Offline
Hearts James Cromwell
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:35 am
Posts: 56
I made the air-dried emmentaler and it came out tasty. I've been using potato flour/starch instead of tapioca lately and it has improved the taste a lot.

All the air-dried cheeses I've made have cracked horribly, so they are not very pretty to present. I wonder if the temperature's not right? Now in the winter my kitchen is about 68F/20C (when the oven/stove's not on) but the spot I air-dry the cheeses in is probably like 66F/19C. I haven't had any problems with mould.

Here's a few photos I just snapped of the emmentaler:

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:17 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 1200
Location: ATX
My air-dried cheeses have all cracked so far too. I've been serving them in quarters so it doesn't look so lame.

Ameyfm, try either of the chevres, boursin, sun-dried tomato basil, brie, gruyere, sharp cheddar or mozzarella. (The beginning part of the book has the faster cheeses.) You should be able to do any of those within 5 days. If you can purchase rejuvelac you'll probably be able to cut the time in half.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:50 am 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Berkeley
mandycoot wrote:
So I did it! I made cheese! I managed to troubleshoot my mold issues and made a bunch of cheese for a get-together I held. I did the lemon peppercorn chevre, boursin, cheddar, gruyere, and air-dried gouda, and I'm working on air-dried cheddar right now. Everyone at the party was omni and everyone loved them. I'm pretty proud of the result. Sure wish I'd thought to take pictures!


great! what was the cause of the mold?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:55 am 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1561
Location: santa cruz!
mandycoot wrote:
My air-dried cheeses have all cracked so far too. I've been serving them in quarters so it doesn't look so lame.

Ameyfm, try either of the chevres, boursin, sun-dried tomato basil, brie, gruyere, sharp cheddar or mozzarella. (The beginning part of the book has the faster cheeses.) You should be able to do any of those within 5 days. If you can purchase rejuvelac you'll probably be able to cut the time in half.



Thanks mandycoot! It seems like maybe a chevre would work best for a spreadable type thing. Where on earth does one buy rejuvalac??

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:29 pm 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:31 am
Posts: 224
Location: sf bay area
I live in the Bay area (peninsula) and I can buy Rejuvenation Company's rejuvelac (wheat-based) at my local Whole Foods in the large bottles, and at least one of the health food stores locally carries it in the tiny bottles.

_________________
@tpat35
woefully neglected blog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:30 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1561
Location: santa cruz!
Ok! I tracked down rejuvelac. It's all very exciting.

I do have one more question for you artisan cheeze pros though - when she says to put the cheese in glass bowl and "cover" for 3 days ... does she mean tightly covered? saran wrap? totally sealed? covered with a dish towel?

thanks!

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:34 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 1200
Location: ATX
lululuv wrote:
mandycoot wrote:
So I did it! I made cheese! I managed to troubleshoot my mold issues and made a bunch of cheese for a get-together I held. I did the lemon peppercorn chevre, boursin, cheddar, gruyere, and air-dried gouda, and I'm working on air-dried cheddar right now. Everyone at the party was omni and everyone loved them. I'm pretty proud of the result. Sure wish I'd thought to take pictures!


great! what was the cause of the mold?


Well, the mold levels in the air went down, so I didn't actually have to do much! But I started stopping my rejuvelac and cheeses a little early compared to the book recommendations and that kept anything from growing. It's already pretty hot here so they still fermented within the time I gave them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:40 pm 
Online
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 10669
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
ameyfm wrote:
Ok! I tracked down rejuvelac. It's all very exciting.

I do have one more question for you artisan cheeze pros though - when she says to put the cheese in glass bowl and "cover" for 3 days ... does she mean tightly covered? saran wrap? totally sealed? covered with a dish towel?

thanks!


in my experience cheese cloth or a dish towel or parchment rubberbanded loosely around the top worked well. when i tried a few times with saran wrap, i got mold really fast.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:41 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1561
Location: santa cruz!
mandycoot, which were your favorites? I'm going to have some rejuvelac left over, and I was thinking of starting another cheese while I'm at it. How was the gouda?

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:51 pm 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Berkeley
mandycoot wrote:
lululuv wrote:
mandycoot wrote:
So I did it! I made cheese! I managed to troubleshoot my mold issues and made a bunch of cheese for a get-together I held. I did the lemon peppercorn chevre, boursin, cheddar, gruyere, and air-dried gouda, and I'm working on air-dried cheddar right now. Everyone at the party was omni and everyone loved them. I'm pretty proud of the result. Sure wish I'd thought to take pictures!


great! what was the cause of the mold?


Well, the mold levels in the air went down, so I didn't actually have to do much! But I started stopping my rejuvelac and cheeses a little early compared to the book recommendations and that kept anything from growing. It's already pretty hot here so they still fermented within the time I gave them.


Thanks for the response. Hope this doesn't seem like a stupid question: how do you know what the mold levels in the air are? Is it humidity or is it just that you didn't get mold on the cheese?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:24 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 1200
Location: ATX
Well, in Austin mold allergies are so bad that they report mold levels every morning on the news. I wouldn't worry about it if it's not a thing people already talk about!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:25 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 1200
Location: ATX
ameyfm wrote:
mandycoot, which were your favorites? I'm going to have some rejuvelac left over, and I was thinking of starting another cheese while I'm at it. How was the gouda?


I loved the gouda and chevres. My husband's favorite so far is the hard gruyere. I didn't love the flavor of the cheddars but they were pretty good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:37 am 
Offline
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:38 pm
Posts: 60
Location: Berkeley
mandycoot wrote:
Well, in Austin mold allergies are so bad that they report mold levels every morning on the news. I wouldn't worry about it if it's not a thing people already talk about!

wow! i had no idea mold levels could be measured generally like that! thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:42 am 
Offline
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:28 am
Posts: 407
Location: Quebec, Canada
ijustdiedinside wrote:
ameyfm wrote:
Ok! I tracked down rejuvelac. It's all very exciting.

I do have one more question for you artisan cheeze pros though - when she says to put the cheese in glass bowl and "cover" for 3 days ... does she mean tightly covered? saran wrap? totally sealed? covered with a dish towel?

thanks!


in my experience cheese cloth or a dish towel or parchment rubberbanded loosely around the top worked well. when i tried a few times with saran wrap, i got mold really fast.


Is it the same for rejuvelac or can that be sealed?

_________________
Château Imaginaire
Make-Believe Castle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:57 pm 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 1200
Location: ATX
I sealed my rejuvelac because of mold and it still fermented just fine (I had it in mason jars).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:17 pm 
Offline
Level 7 Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:26 pm
Posts: 1561
Location: santa cruz!
awesome! you guys are so great for answering all my questions!! high fives for PPK helpers!

_________________
Vegan Eats & Treats


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:12 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:28 pm
Posts: 40
I'm sorry if this has been asked. I searched! But I couldn't find it. Has anyone made the creamy no-bake cheesecake? It calls for 5 cups of Cashew Cream Cheese, but it then leads you to page 55, which is a recipe for Cashew Cream. Any input?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:26 am 
Offline
Wears Durian Helmet
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:48 am
Posts: 871
Location: Montreal
My hard gruyere is ready... yay!! :)

_________________
~SARAH~

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:18 am 
Offline
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:11 pm
Posts: 200
Location: the Hills of Caledon
GinaKina wrote:
I'm sorry if this has been asked. I searched! But I couldn't find it. Has anyone made the creamy no-bake cheesecake? It calls for 5 cups of Cashew Cream Cheese, but it then leads you to page 55, which is a recipe for Cashew Cream. Any input?


Look for the cashew cream cheese recipe in the book's index! It basically is soaked cashews, yoghurt and minimal water, left to incubate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:29 pm 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:19 am
Posts: 72
Location: Leics, UK
My first attempt at cheese, the boursin, is delicious and I haven't even finished riping it yet!

It's just as I remember it. I subbed the parsley for green (spring) onions, and added cracked black pepper, as my favourite boursin flavour in my pregan days were garlic and chive and that was all I had in my fridge/cupboards.

The basic cashew cheese turned out really tangy after cultivating roughly 28 hours. But then I added a bit more rejuvelac than was in the book, I really wanted the cashews to blend smoothly. But I guess I'll just have to soak my cashews a lot longer than 4 hours next time. But I didn't mind the taste of it, it was really cheesy and didn't taste of cashews at all.

All in all, I'm really pleased. I'll try the sharp cheddar next. My order for carrageenan and agar powder arrived today. Yay!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:51 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:28 pm
Posts: 40
Max&Moritz wrote:
GinaKina wrote:
I'm sorry if this has been asked. I searched! But I couldn't find it. Has anyone made the creamy no-bake cheesecake? It calls for 5 cups of Cashew Cream Cheese, but it then leads you to page 55, which is a recipe for Cashew Cream. Any input?


Look for the cashew cream cheese recipe in the book's index! It basically is soaked cashews, yoghurt and minimal water, left to incubate.


Thanks..my question was whether I should be using the Cream Cheese, as it says, or the Cream, since that is the page it leads to. Does that make sense? Have you made it with the Cream Cheese?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:03 pm 
Offline
Memorized Veganomicon

Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 11:54 am
Posts: 100
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
GinaKina wrote:
Max&Moritz wrote:
GinaKina wrote:
I'm sorry if this has been asked. I searched! But I couldn't find it. Has anyone made the creamy no-bake cheesecake? It calls for 5 cups of Cashew Cream Cheese, but it then leads you to page 55, which is a recipe for Cashew Cream. Any input?


Look for the cashew cream cheese recipe in the book's index! It basically is soaked cashews, yoghurt and minimal water, left to incubate.


Thanks..my question was whether I should be using the Cream Cheese, as it says, or the Cream, since that is the page it leads to. Does that make sense? Have you made it with the Cream Cheese?


That was an error in the first printing of the book. It was corrected in the second printing. (It is now going into its fourth printing!) You should be using the cream cheese, not the cashew cream.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:31 pm 
Offline
So Totally Yiffy
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:28 pm
Posts: 40
Great, thanks Miyoko! I thought so but....wanted to make sure :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:33 am 
Offline
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:19 am
Posts: 72
Location: Leics, UK
So for me, I made the rookie mistake of not cooking the agar long enough to make the fresh mozzarella. When I scooped the balls into the ice bath, they stayed soft...very soft!

So I had a nosy around Miyoko's website to see if there was any suggestions. On the forums, someone who had the same problem took out the mozzi balls, melted them down and added tapioca flour, 1 tbsp, and re made the agar mixture with 1/2 cup water to 1 tbsp of the agar cooked it for about 10 mins, then whisked it hard into the cheese. She re scooped them into the ice bath and they hardened nicely.

So of course, I did the same. I don't have tapioca flour, so I used rice flour. And I now have proper mozzarella cheese. Yay!

Just thought I'd post for anyone in the same position.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 63  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gingerlime and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer