| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:11 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i unintentionally made bleu cheez. :-( i forgot about the sharp cheddar i had made back in january. (the book says it's good for 4 months. oops!) at least i got to eat one of the 2 blocks i made. only 1/2 of the block looked bad, but i didn't want to chance it.

next time i'll individually seal them in vacuum bags.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:35 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Okay, I decided to stop being a baby and start making some cheese - I tried brown rice and quinoa just in case one wouldn't sprout and neither of them have sprouted yet! It's been 4.5 days since I started soaking them and yes, i've been changing the water. Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy is nothing happening.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:01 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Okay, I decided to stop being a baby and start making some cheese - I tried brown rice and quinoa just in case one wouldn't sprout and neither of them have sprouted yet! It's been 4.5 days since I started soaking them and yes, i've been changing the water. Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy is nothing happening.

Rice is hard to sprout. I'm having my publisher take it out of the next printing. Quinoa should sprout in 24 hours or less, unless you either bought pre-sprouted quinoa (I did that once, and then realized it after reading the label), or you are just having trouble seeing the little tails. They can be the same color as the grain, and can be hard to make out. Look really closely.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:57 pm 

Okay, when I peer close I do see tails - I thought they'd be more obvious. It does have kind of a funky smell so clearly something was happening! I dumped the rice and divided the quinoa. I guess it probably doesn't need that long to culture since it was already smelly when I divided it and added the water? Also can you just come to my house and hold my hand and walk me through it?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:11 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Okay, when I peer close I do see tails - I thought they'd be more obvious. It does have kind of a funky smell so clearly something was happening! I dumped the rice and divided the quinoa. I guess it probably doesn't need that long to culture since it was already smelly when I divided it and added the water? Also can you just come to my house and hold my hand and walk me through it?

I'll be right there!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:14 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

I've had luck with quinoa sprouting on two occasions and found it very easy to do. I usually notice the tails within a day or less.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:16 pm 

Hey so, don't hide your fermenting quinoa in the oven and then pre-heat the oven for pizza. Time to start over!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:32 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Had good luck with the meltable mozzarella! Turned out great and really does taste like the real thing! Mild, with a bit of that dairy bite to it!

Also very easy to make as well!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:25 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Made the sundried tomatoe and basil cheese!

Wow! Seriously good, was licking the bowl and eating by the spoon full.

So far this one has tasted the most like cheese- from the one's I've made- from the book.

If you haven't made it yet-- do so!

Easy to make as well!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Hey so, don't hide your fermenting quinoa in the oven and then pre-heat the oven for pizza. Time to start over!

Ugh, I did this recently with rising yeast dough. Oops!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:31 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I almost left my yogurt to culture in the oven, but realized I have kitchen-mates and might replicate that issue! I'm so excited to see if my yogurt turns out - I don't like any vegan yogurt on the market except Silk, and all I can find of Silk is the fruity stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:19 am 

Soo. .. If you neglect your yogurt and it separates, are you fine just stirring it up, or do you need to toss it? It stirs to the right consistency and is still better than Nancy's. It doesn't taste bad, but it's rotten milk either way, so I can't say for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:11 am 
Saggy Butt

oddspongeout wrote:
Soo. .. If you neglect your yogurt and it separates, are you fine just stirring it up, or do you need to toss it? It stirs to the right consistency and is still better than Nancy's. It doesn't taste bad, but it's rotten milk either way, so I can't say for sure.

Definitely do NOT toss it! As far as stirring it, I think it depends on how much it separated... If it's just a bit of water at the bottom, you can probably stir it back in (although it will most likely re-separate again after sitting). If it's a LOT of separation, Miyoko's footnotes on the yogurt recipe direct you to a cheese that is made specifically from drained yogurt.

My slightly separated yogurt has worked well in recipes - just a little thicker, more mousse-like if you don't reincorporate the separated liquid. But isn't it divine?! Like no yogurt you can buy... Reminds me of the fresh dairy yogurt I had years ago in deep, rustic Mexico (visiting in-laws). So good on its own, with granola, mixed into smoothies - AND blended with frozen peaches for an amazing quick frozen yogurt my entire omni family adored.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:26 pm 

I didn't! I ended up stirring it once and let it sit in the fridge. It now hardened up and is still LESS separated than Nancy's soy. And it looks, tastes, and feels like YOGURT. It's even OFF WHITE. I am in awe!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:04 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
So I just finished a batch of quinoa rejuvilac as well as having some cashew cream cheese going and some yogurt cheese (its big fermenting day here in the Crisis house)

Think I am going to try the mozzarella, excited!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:25 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I don't remember the exact mozzarella recipe from the book, but Miyoko revised the recipe for her Buffalo Mozzarella to improve the texture. You might want to take a look at it before you get going.

LINK: http://www.artisanveganlife.com/a-bette ... ozzarella/

So far, I'm really enjoying just the basic cashew cheese and basic cream cheese - I'm a bit scared of moving on to the other cheeses because of the high fat content.

I even made my own rejuvelac (from wheat berries) and found it to be an easy process, not nearly as gross as I thought it would be. MrQ has even come to enjoy my homemade cashew-thickened soy yogurt a bit more than storebought (Silk).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:49 pm 
Tofu Pup

I made the homemade yogurt but it came out a little runny. It's been in my fridge for a few days now but hasn't thickened. I may not have let it culture long enough or maybe I soaked the cashews too long. Can I bring it back up to 110º to see if it thickens? Or is it too late to fix? It's the consistency of heavy cream, maybe a little thicker.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:27 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I got this book for my birthday, and I am really excited! I'm going to start of easy with the cashew cream cheese, and then build from there.

What does everyone cover their cheese with while it cultures at room temp.? Is it supposed to be cheese cloth, or can I used the actual lid of the container? Sorry if this is redundant. I've been reading through this thread, but there are A LOT of pages!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:55 am 
Bathes in Braggs

You can cover the container any way you like. The lacto bacteria are anaerobic, so they don't care how much fresh air they get. I use the actual lids of my containers, and it works fine.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:26 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Cornelie wrote:
You can cover the container any way you like. The lacto bacteria are anaerobic, so they don't care how much fresh air they get. I use the actual lids of my containers, and it works fine.
That's great, thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:50 pm 

chelsylulz wrote:
I made the homemade yogurt but it came out a little runny. It's been in my fridge for a few days now but hasn't thickened. I may not have let it culture long enough or maybe I soaked the cashews too long. Can I bring it back up to 110º to see if it thickens? Or is it too late to fix? It's the consistency of heavy cream, maybe a little thicker.

From what I've noticed in various reviews on Miyoko's method and others, almost everyone notices that home-made yogurt is runny. If it tastes like yogurt and set to an extent, you're probably fine. Store-bought yogurt almost always has a thickener such as gelatin, pectin, or tapioca, so there is really no comparison.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:26 pm 

I forgot to ever mention that I finally made cheese! I made the basic cashew cheese and turned it into the brie, but I tasted it first and it tastes like the Play Food raw cheese that was available for about five seconds years ago. Which makes sense because I think those were cashew cheeses too. I like the brie and don't think it tastes very different from the cashew cheese, but the coconut oil made it slippery when I tried to cut it, I possibly mis-measured but either way I think i'd use less next time. It was really good on toast with black pepper.

I haven't made anything else yet because I still haven't found an asian foods market in this town so I can't even get miso. MISO. But I might make some more basic cashew cheese.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:39 pm 
Tofu Pup

oddspongeout wrote:
chelsylulz wrote:

From what I've noticed in various reviews on Miyoko's method and others, almost everyone notices that home-made yogurt is runny. If it tastes like yogurt and set to an extent, you're probably fine. Store-bought yogurt almost always has a thickener such as gelatin, pectin, or tapioca, so there is really no comparison.

Thanks a lot! I'll give it a try then!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:38 am 
Nailed to the V

Soooo...

If my rejuvelac, which admittedly has been in the fridge for I don't know how long now, has accumulated a weird white residue on the bottom of the jar, it's time to toss it, right?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:43 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I've used mine after it had white residu and had been in the fridge a loooong time and it was fine. As long as there is no mould floating on top, I keep using it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 63  Next