| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:42 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Minatomachi wrote:
creep wrote:
Do places like Whole Foods have carrageenan, or is it pretty much an online-only deal?

We don't have Whole Foods here, but I didn't find it in health food stores.

Hello fellow QCer. Don't you wish we had WF, eh? :p

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:06 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

stuckunderhere wrote:
Minatomachi wrote:
creep wrote:
Do places like Whole Foods have carrageenan, or is it pretty much an online-only deal?

We don't have Whole Foods here, but I didn't find it in health food stores.

Hello fellow QCer. Don't you wish we had WF, eh? :p

Hello! First time I meet a QCer here!

I am not even sure what Whole Foods is, but I sure wish we had access to brands like Tofutti, Cheezly, Dr. Cow, Sweet and Sara, etc. I mean I can order products on the Net, but ordering refrigerated food is less than convenient. I tried to make cream cheese icing with Yoso and wasn't it the most awful-tasting mess, and so gooey I couldn't get it off my cake (I know, I should have tasted it before icing the cake). And one big Métro I go to doesn't have Earth Balance, Soygo, any kind of vegan cheese nor those yummy accidentally vegan Vegetable Spring Rolls, while the other big Métro I like has these items but doesn't have a lot of the other vegan items... But at least I can go occasionally to Aliments de Santé Laurier and Le Crac, so I shouldn't complain. It must be the destiny of vegans to hop from one shop to the next, even without a car.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:02 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

where exactly are you in QC? i can find tons at Healthtree in Montreal or at Marché Tau

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:05 am 

I am in Quebec City. I know there are better choices in Montreal. To give you an idea, there is only ONE vegetarian restaurant here (not even vegan).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:26 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Vraiment? wow! :(

Open one up ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:09 pm 

Ha ha, I think I'm busy enough being a writer and a secretary and trying to make my own cheese. We had another vegetarian restaurant but it turned flexitarian this year.

I have a weird feeling I'm a French speaker having a conversation in English with another French speaker. While derailing this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:49 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Minatomachi wrote:

I have a weird feeling I'm a French speaker having a conversation in English with another French speaker. While derailing this thread.

Oui oui ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:14 am 
Tofu Pup

Halp!
Hello everyone, so I've been soaking/rinsing oat groats as directed but there are still no sprouts after a week. Is that normal? They smell a little funky too.
I've sprouted stuff before, for salads etc, but never for rejuvelac.
Do I need to start again? Thanks xx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:46 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Laurawords wrote:
Halp!
Hello everyone, so I've been soaking/rinsing oat groats as directed but there are still no sprouts after a week. Is that normal? They smell a little funky too.

I'd start over. I sprouted rice to make rejuvelac which is supposed to be one of the harder grains to do, and even so it didn't take a week. Maybe your groats were steamed, which is why they wouldn't sprout?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:02 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Carrageenan vs agar

I recently got carrageenan and used this in the sharp cheedar. I previously had successfully made it with agar. With the carrageenan it got all lumpy and while I stirred and stirred during cooking I never got the lumps out. Of course I ended up cooking it just that bit too long and the fat started oozing out. Dang. Now the cheese is lumpy.

Did I do something wrong or is it just that more difficult to work with carrageenan?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:19 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think carrageenan can be a real bisque to stir, from my experience.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:06 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I just started the tofu cheese for future feta making. As always, I'm excited!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:22 am 
Tofu Pup

couroupita wrote:
Laurawords wrote:
Halp!

I'd start over. I sprouted rice to make rejuvelac which is supposed to be one of the harder grains to do, and even so it didn't take a week. Maybe your groats were steamed, which is why they wouldn't sprout?

Thanks for replying! I disposed of the funky groats, and sprouted some rye which worked a treat. xx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:02 pm 

I got my Vitamix (yay!) and am trying the cashew chèvre and meltable mozzarella. I just tasted a bit of the cashew cheese after culturing 1½ days before using it to make the chèvre. It is very sour, which makes me think it has matured enough, but I find its taste repulsive. I don't see any mold. I hope mixing it with the nooch and salt and letting it rest in the fridge will improve the taste. But it worries me since it's written in the book the cashew cheese ought to taste good by itself, even though it is mostly used as the base for other cheeses. How can I know whether I've done it wrong and it should taste different or I simply strongly dislike what it is supposed to taste?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:44 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Can you describe the taste a bit more?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:29 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Love Child wrote:
I'm really digging the cream cheese. Next time I'll let it culture even longer, for some more tang.

I'm on the fence about the cream cheese. I watched the You Tube video of Miyoko making it, so I felt pretty confident. However, my starting glop and the glop in my glass dish 2 days later looked pretty much the same, although there were a few small bubbles if I scraped the top (so some fermentation was taking place). I used plan coconut yogurt, so this could be the problem as to why it didn't go where I'd hoped...? I kept leaving it out to culture, since I'd read posts that it would taste like cashews until it magically became cream cheese. It doesn't really taste like cashews, but it doesn't really taste like cream cheese, either - more of a thick tangy substance.

While I don't want to put that "cream cheese" I made on any bagel and eat it straight, I did add some to a cashew/miso/noochy cream mixture I was using to replace sour cream/jack cheese in an ortega rice recipe. I'd made the recipe over the holidays with just the cashew/miso/nooch sauce, and it was yummy - but adding just a few tbsp of the cream cheese really gave the sauce a cheesy taste - and both my mom and bro (ardent ortega rice fans) said they couldn't tell the difference between this and the omni version (which uses 1# or more of jack and a few cups of sour cream...!). So I'll call it a victory.

I am on the CA Central Coast, so similar weather to the author's location (San Fran Frisco). It's usually in the 60s here during the days, although we had one hot weekend (86° on Saturday!). However, last week, when culturing the rejuvelac AND making the cream cheese, I'd heat the oven to 100°, then turn it off and place the items in the oven (because nights are usually mid 40s about this time of year, and I leave all windows open year-round). Once, my husband forgot about my little science experiment in the oven, and turned on the heat to 400° before he noticed and pulled the jars out! The rejuvelac still looked and smelled good, no harm/no foul.

Ready to use my rejuvelac and the agar flakes (all that I have - need to order powder and carageenan because NO STORES carry them in these parts) to make some cheese!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:35 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Laurawords wrote:
Halp!

Quinoa seems to be THE way to go for the rejuvelac. It was amazingly easy and fast, so little effort - and the cost factor?! Wow. I almost chickened out and picked up an 8oz bottle of rejuvelac at New Frontiers (similar to WF), but it was $3.99! This entire batch I made was maybe $1, if that...

One thought that occurred to me - in reading others' comments about their quinoa sprouting super quickly - is that the "tails" being witnessed may in fact be the germ ring of the quinoa, which hydrates and then puffs up/falls off/clings to each grain when cooked or soaked. I was aware of this, so let the rejuvelac go the suggested time (in my closed oven) to ensure I was REALLY seeing something new emerge from the grains.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:50 pm 

emmalv wrote:
Can you describe the taste a bit more?

I have trouble defining the taste of the cashew cheese I made. It didn't get better after turning it into chèvre. It didn't taste like cashews, the feeling I have is that it didn't taste like food, more like plastic or earth or something not related to food. Anyway I cannot eat it and I think it's probably gone bad. Maybe I cultured it too long although it was only 1½ days. Next time I culture a cheese, I'll taste it regularly.

The meltable mozzarella turned out OK, although once melted it was a bland gelatinous mass, and I'd rather eat pizza without it than with it so there's not much of a point in making it again.

Overall, not encouraging up to now but I'll try a few other cheeses before I give up.

VeganVamp wrote:
One thought that occurred to me - in reading others' comments about their quinoa sprouting super quickly - is that the "tails" being witnessed may in fact be the germ ring of the quinoa, which hydrates and then puffs up/falls off/clings to each grain when cooked or soaked. I was aware of this, so let the rejuvelac go the suggested time (in my closed oven) to ensure I was REALLY seeing something new emerge from the grains.

Oh, I didn't know that. Maybe my quinoa wasn't truly sprouting when I thought it was.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:07 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

You pbly did the right thing by tossing it, and I had the exact same impression about the mozz. I concoct my own blend that takes ideas from a variety of sources. I'm happy to share if you want.
Try the provolone and gouda. Those were winners to me. And the provolone with creminis and kale and shallots on a pizza - its shut the front door delish.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:58 pm 
Tofu Pup

I've made sharp cheddar. I liked it after 48 hours of fermentation very much, but I wanted it hard so I've added agar (I couldn't find carageenan) and xantam gum and it lost it taste, I can feel only agar :-( I've added the amount as stated in the book - 2 tablespoons for 2 cups of cashews. I can easily slice it, but I am not sure, whether I will eat it, because of the taste.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Minatomachi wrote:
The meltable mozzarella turned out OK, although once melted it was a bland gelatinous mass, and I'd rather eat pizza without it than with it so there's not much of a point in making it again.

That's what I liked about the mozzarella. It's just kind of fatty and bland, like mozzarella.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:39 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I may have to give the mozz another whirl, because most people do seem to like it and I so wanted to love it. To me, my impression was just salty jello. I actually think it was the ice bath that turned it from maybe to blech. I wonder if I press it in molds and freeze if I'd like the texture better...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:15 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

VeganVamp wrote:
Love Child wrote:
I'm really digging the cream cheese. Next time I'll let it culture even longer, for some more tang.

I'm on the fence about the cream cheese. I watched the You Tube video of Miyoko making it, so I felt pretty confident. However, my starting glop and the glop in my glass dish 2 days later looked pretty much the same, although there were a few small bubbles if I scraped the top (so some fermentation was taking place). I used plan coconut yogurt, so this could be the problem as to why it didn't go where I'd hoped...? I kept leaving it out to culture, since I'd read posts that it would taste like cashews until it magically became cream cheese. It doesn't really taste like cashews, but it doesn't really taste like cream cheese, either - more of a thick tangy substance.

While I don't want to put that "cream cheese" I made on any bagel and eat it straight, I did add some to a cashew/miso/noochy cream mixture I was using to replace sour cream/jack cheese in an ortega rice recipe. I'd made the recipe over the holidays with just the cashew/miso/nooch sauce, and it was yummy - but adding just a few tbsp of the cream cheese really gave the sauce a cheesy taste - and both my mom and bro (ardent ortega rice fans) said they couldn't tell the difference between this and the omni version (which uses 1# or more of jack and a few cups of sour cream...!). So I'll call it a victory.

I am on the CA Central Coast, so similar weather to the author's location (San Fran Frisco Frisco). It's usually in the 60s here during the days, although we had one hot weekend (86° on Saturday!). However, last week, when culturing the rejuvelac AND making the cream cheese, I'd heat the oven to 100°, then turn it off and place the items in the oven (because nights are usually mid 40s about this time of year, and I leave all windows open year-round). Once, my husband forgot about my little science experiment in the oven, and turned on the heat to 400° before he noticed and pulled the jars out! The rejuvelac still looked and smelled good, no harm/no foul.

Ready to use my rejuvelac and the agar flakes (all that I have - need to order powder and carageenan because NO STORES carry them in these parts) to make some cheese!

I tried the cream cheese for the first time over the weekend. Used soy yogurt but the yogurt was kind of sweet so I decided to divvy up the batch into 2 and in 1 I put garlic powder and scallions, and in the other roasted red pepper (blended it up in the vitamix). I let culture for 2 days and while the taste was good, no way could I thicken it up by pressing it per the book's suggestion. It was too thin. But since I really kinda wanted a more cream cheesy texture, I put about 1 T tapioca starch and a maybe 3/4 teaspoon agar (in each batch obviously) and cooked and stirred until it started to pull away from the pan and get that "look" like the agar was activated. Into the fridge they went and today they are actually thicker and more spready like cream cheese. Bagel-worthy, I dare say.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:03 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

dear VeganVamp (or anyone who's listening),

could you post the link to the youtube video of Miyoko making the cream cheese? i have the first printing of the book, which does not include the yogurt and i really want to try culturing/thickening it!

Thank you!

emmalv wrote:
VeganVamp wrote:
Love Child wrote:

I am on the CA Central Coast, so similar weather to the author's location (San Fran Frisco Frisco Frisco). It's usually in the 60s here during the days, although we had one hot weekend (86° on Saturday!). However, last week, when culturing the rejuvelac AND making the cream cheese, I'd heat the oven to 100°, then turn it off and place the items in the oven (because nights are usually mid 40s about this time of year, and I leave all windows open year-round). Once, my husband forgot about my little science experiment in the oven, and turned on the heat to 400° before he noticed and pulled the jars out! The rejuvelac still looked and smelled good, no harm/no foul.

I tried the cream cheese for the first time over the weekend. Used soy yogurt but the yogurt was kind of sweet so I decided to divvy up the batch into 2 and in 1 I put garlic powder and scallions, and in the other roasted red pepper (blended it up in the vitamix). I let culture for 2 days and while the taste was good, no way could I thicken it up by pressing it per the book's suggestion. It was too thin. But since I really kinda wanted a more cream cheesy texture, I put about 1 T tapioca starch and a maybe 3/4 teaspoon agar (in each batch obviously) and cooked and stirred until it started to pull away from the pan and get that "look" like the agar was activated. Into the fridge they went and today they are actually thicker and more spready like cream cheese. Bagel-worthy, I dare say.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:07 pm 

emmalv wrote:
Try the provolone and gouda. Those were winners to me. And the provolone with creminis and kale and shallots on a pizza - its shut the front door delish.

Thanks. I'll make the gouda my next project. I'll also try making my own yogurt this time and maybe find a different brand of yogurt to start it with.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 63  Next