| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Another question: can you freeze yogurt?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:46 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I had no quinoa, so used millet. We shall see... It should be done by tomorrow :)

As for freezing yogurt, I dunno.

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:07 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ariann wrote:

I pretty much use my homemade soy yogurt solely for cheese, so I do freeze it. When it thaws the texture is a little odd - I wouldn't want to eat it as yogurt with granola or anything - but its fine when blended up and cooked in a cheese. I freeze it in one cup servings in glass jars.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:57 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I have frozen yogurt (accidentally -- part of my fridge gets really cold!). The texture became kind of grainy after it thawed, but it tasted fine.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:39 am 
***LIES!!!***

And you can use the defrosted frozen yogurt to make more yogurt?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:06 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Hi. I made rejuvelac last week. This is my second batch. I used millet.

The first batch I made from brown rice. It looked cloudy and a tad yellowish. From it I made several kinds of cheese from AVC, all of which came out great.

My question is about the second batch of rejuvelac. It became cloudy but it lacked the yellow tinge when it was ready for refrigeration. This morning I took it out of the frig for the first time since last week to make cashew cheese, and noticed that it has a bit of a dark tint to it. Is this any cause for concern? Am I about to poison myself and everyone who tries the cheeses made with this rejuvelac??

Thanks for any help you can provide!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:47 am 
Saggy Butt

I just had the most DELICIOUS cheese quesadilla this morning with Miyoko's Oat American Cheese! This is one I'd always skipped, never caught my interest, until I was searching thru both of my vegan cheese cookbooks for stretchy, gooey, yellow cheeses to use in a Thanksgiving casserole much beloved from my pregan days.

The casserole, using both the oat American and another American-style soymilk cheese, was SCRUMPTIOUS - all the omnis at Thanksgiving were RAVING, and I could tell NO DIFFERENCE from the pregan version. (I have a great picture, but I have some malfunction with posting pictures on this forum.)

The Oat American shreds and melts beautifully (a nice, clean shred: no residue on the grater, it's that solid). It's quite a phenomenon to have this lovely block of cheese in the fridge, made primarily from some leftover oatmeal I had lying around...!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:59 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Oooo, I've also yet to make that oat American and was thinking about it recently! Will stock up on oats again soon.

I came here to mention that I made the lemon chevre for a dinner party a few nights ago, and it seemed popular! Nice and clean.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:30 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Made the soft Gruyere for Thanksgiving. Not bad, though I thought it had a bit of a processed taste, but it may have been the red miso that I used. The bf's mum loved it, and is now requesting the book for Xmas. Got loads of rejuvulac in the fridge, so I started some sharp cheddar tonight. Still have loads to use up, so I might be on a cheese making frenzy before the holidays hit. Does it really only last 4 weeks in the fridge, or can you stretch it out longer?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:34 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Ariann wrote:

Yes you can!

Helen Keller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:14 pm 

simplybecause81 wrote:
Made the soft Gruyere for Thanksgiving. Not bad, though I thought it had a bit of a processed taste, but it may have been the red miso that I used. The bf's mum loved it, and is now requesting the book for Xmas. Got loads of rejuvulac in the fridge, so I started some sharp cheddar tonight. Still have loads to use up, so I might be on a cheese making frenzy before the holidays hit. Does it really only last 4 weeks in the fridge, or can you stretch it out longer?

I've successfully aged it for months in the fridge. I had wrapped it in wax paper, paper towel and then loosely in a plastic baggie. I unwrapped it occasionally and brushed it with wine/salt solution.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:22 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I got this as an early Christmas present from my parents! I was so happy, but also a little intimidated because I'd trawled this thread before and saw the words 'rejuvelac' and 'culturing' and such, and thought it looked really complicated.

I got started straight away and managed to make a rejuvelac out of quinoa, after a day and a half I got a cloudy looking water, and to me it smelled like tahini- I tasted it and it was slightly tart like the book said. I didn't want to push it and keep it going any longer so I drained it into a jar and popped it into the fridge.
With this I've started on the Basic Cashew Cheese, and it's just sitting on my kitchen counter 'culturing'.

I do hope I've done it right- because I'm looking forward to making the Cashew Chevre, Boursin, Camembert, and Brie.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:43 pm 

Sooo total sharp cheddar fail. Was adding a fourth day to the culturing because my apartment is drafty and cool. Was all ready to do the cooking/thickening step tonight but found some hairy white mold on one corner. Guess I should throw it out. No idea what I did wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:38 am 

simplybecause81 wrote:
Sooo total sharp cheddar fail. Was adding a fourth day to the culturing because my apartment is drafty and cool. Was all ready to do the cooking/thickening step tonight but found some hairy white mold on one corner. Guess I should throw it out. No idea what I did wrong.

Perhaps just scrape away the moldy bit? I'm guessing that the rest of it would be okay.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:07 pm 
Saggy Butt

After forgetting to pick up coconut yogurt over several market trips, I finally remembered, and reacquainted myself with Miyoko's Cashew Yogurt yesterday.

I never want to ever be without it again. Easy, complex, versatile, delicious.

And I'm officially declaring the cultured/uncooked Camembert cheese base (+ a tsp or so of light miso) as my favorite sour cream, forever more. Amazing drizzled with fresh salsa over homemade tamales (using Viva Vegan savory tamale dough). Breakfast of champions!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:57 pm 

Aha! It actually worked!! So after 2 days of culturing, I made the cashew chevre. When I first tasted it, it was a little bit... sour? I thought it had gone bad, but I kept having little tastes and it grew on me. I fed some to my veggie boyfriend, and was SHOCKED to say the least, that he actually liked it- and that is saying something, coming from him, who has a very er, 'under-developed palate' shall we say.
I split that batch into three, and left one as it was, the second I added lemon juice and lemon zest and lots of cracked black pepper, and the third I added, garlic powder, dried basil, and cracked black pepper.
I like all three, and my favourite is the lemon and pepper one.

Chuffed with how my first attempt has gone, as I was certain I'd fudged it up with my rejuvelac. I've got more confidence to have a go at some of the others now.
I'm tempted to make a cheese with cranberries in...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:30 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Just made some Brie and I have to say, I am not sure it tastes right. I think I added too much rejuvelac to it because my crappy blender wouldn't process the cashews properly. Grr!!!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:29 am 

Ended up throwing out my cheddar culturing fail. Put it in the fridge since I didn't want to deal with it/didn't have the time then found new and different mold two days later. Just tossed the whole thing. Got lots of rejuvelac but not sure what to try next.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:32 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Just finished the thickening step for the sharp cheddar, and while I was cooking it it started to separate a bit from the 1/2 cup oil that's in it. So I just put the cheese in the molds but it's really greasy, whereas it wasn't before when it was culturing. Is something amiss?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:58 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I'm really liking this book

Sorry if this question has been asked already in the 58 pages.. but I can't find it so far.

For people who have made the tofu cheese in chapter one, have you tried aging it longer than 1 week? I'm wondering if it would become more solid/creamy and less crumbly. I lost quite a bit of the product when I was trying to fish around in the miso marinade and wash the pieces off. It's a similar recipe to the tofu misozuke recipe that's out there, only in that the tofu sits for much longer and coated with the marinade rather than in a bath of it.. From what I can tell it ends up a lot more solid. I'm more comfortable with the AVC recipe though, not as worried about weird molds or bacteria showing up.

My yogurt maker comes tomorrow, will be making a lot more of that and the cashew cream cheese soon! My first go with the cream cheese didn't go so well.. I let it sit out for about 24 hours as directed, but it was really really sour. I noticed it looked kind of frothy/whipped, lots of air bubbles. It's cold in my kitchen, but I had placed the mixture in a southern facing window (getting lots of direct sun), so I think that was the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

BowToLordSeitan wrote:
My first go with the cream cheese didn't go so well.. I let it sit out for about 24 hours as directed, but it was really really sour. I noticed it looked kind of frothy/whipped, lots of air bubbles. It's cold in my kitchen, but I had placed the mixture in a southern facing window (getting lots of direct sun), so I think that was the problem.

The bubbles are okay, they're just a product of the lactic acid bacteria doing their thing. The sourness means that you let it sit too long for the temperature it was in. Try again with the bowl outside of direct sunlight and start tasting it every couple of hours after 12 hours to see if it has enough tang for your taste.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:57 pm 
Saggy Butt

paprikapapaya wrote:
Just finished the thickening step for the sharp cheddar, and while I was cooking it it started to separate a bit from the 1/2 cup oil that's in it. So I just put the cheese in the molds but it's really greasy, whereas it wasn't before when it was culturing. Is something amiss?

I was hoping an expert would chime in here (Miyoko herself, maybe..), but it sounds like the emulsion broke at the end. When I've had this happen (with Miyoko's recipes and others), I grab my immersion blender and whip it back into shape, then mold it.

Grease on top = broken emulsion, from my experience, but not unsalvageable if you act quickly.

I haven't checked recently, but Miyoko has lots of cheese tips on her website (artisanveganlife.com), and may address this also.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:38 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I made Meltable Muenster for a pizza I made the other night. It's pretty good; the finished product is almost too set up; like it's rubbery or something. But as a pizza topping or grilled cheese topping, it works! And it was ridiculously easy to make, now that I finally got a big bag of carrageenan for Christmas.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:39 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

beethecookie wrote:
I made Meltable Muenster for a pizza I made the other night. It's pretty good; the finished product is almost too set up; like it's rubbery or something. But as a pizza topping or grilled cheese topping, it works! And it was ridiculously easy to make, now that I finally got a big bag of carrageenan for Christmas.

I think its awesome that you got carrageenan for Christmas : )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:13 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

emmalv wrote:
beethecookie wrote:

I think its awesome that you got carrageenan for Christmas : )

Yeah! It was something I wanted but didn't want to spend all the money on myself just for my own kitchen experiments. It definitely worked better than agar, in my opinion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 63  Next