| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:05 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Has anyone made Miyoko's butter? Is it awesome?

http://luminousvegans.com/2013/11/12/ho ... er-miyoko/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:17 am 
Huffs Nooch

Just broke down and ordered this after pining over it for awhile. This thread has gotten me so excited for it! Think I might try to prep some rejuvelac so I can hit the ground running when it gets here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So the first time I made rejuvelac, I used rice, and it took forever to sprout, and when the rejuvelac was finally "done," I wasn't totally sure and it smelled really bad. I used it and it worked though.

This time, I used quinoa, and it was so fast and easy, and the stuff actually smells/tastes the way it's described in the book. Oops.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:52 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Everyone seems to like quinoa rejuvelac. I thought it was okay until I tried a batch with rye, and it tasted so much better (to me.) But I can't find a warm enough place in my house to make rejuvelac in winter, so I'm anxiously waiting for summer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

creep wrote:
So the first time I made rejuvelac, I used rice, and it took forever to sprout, and when the rejuvelac was finally "done," I wasn't totally sure and it smelled really bad. I used it and it worked though.

This time, I used quinoa, and it was so fast and easy, and the stuff actually smells/tastes the way it's described in the book. Oops.

My experience verbatim. Definitely use the quinoa!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:52 am 
Huffs Nooch

Came earlier than expected. Gonna get my quinoa going tonight.

Those of you who like the rye rejuvelac, are you big rye bread fans too? I'm not that fond (childhood thing), but willing to try using it for rejuvelac.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:27 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

lurky mclurkerson wrote:
Came earlier than expected. Gonna get my quinoa going tonight.

Those of you who like the rye rejuvelac, are you big rye bread fans too? I'm not that fond (childhood thing), but willing to try using it for rejuvelac.

The pronounced flavor in rye bread is more from caraway, not the rye itself. I found rye rejuvelac to be have a fuller body than quinoa. And organic rye is a fraction of the cost of quinoa at this point. Just make sure the rye hasn't been sitting in the store for years.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:52 am 
Kale Wreath

I got this from the library recently, made some rejuvelac last week and am now starting with the air-dried gouda. Tonight I blended/cooked everything and put it in the mold to set, and the leftover cooked mixture was so insanely tasty, I basically licked my saucepan clean. Most delicious vegan cheese I've ever tasted and it's not even done yet. I liked it so much, I'm going to make a mini-batch of the cooked gouda mixture (without agar) as a sauce to put on my mushroom omelettes tomorrow morning. So excited for breakfast tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:32 am 
Huffs Nooch

Thanks Jill. Will pick up some rye this week.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:23 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Has anyone tried the cauliflower or potato gratin? I'm thinking about giving one of them a go this weekend.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:26 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I went with the cauliflower gratin and it was so good! Super creamy and flavorful. I added a little more cheese then the recipe called for and would mix some in next time instead of just using it as a topping. I used the melting cheddar, although mine didn't melt at all, not sure if this is because I cooked it too long originally, still delicious though!

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:28 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Does everyone here who has made cheese from Miyoko's book have a Vitamix (or other supercharged blender)? I am almost afraid to try a recipe in the one I have now. My blender is actually dying as we speak, so I will need to replace it soon. I do want to get a Vitamix someday, but with getting married in October, I am afraid a purchase like that will have to wait!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:46 pm 
Saggy Butt

Bek wrote:
Does everyone here who has made cheese from Miyoko's book have a Vitamix (or other supercharged blender)? I am almost afraid to try a recipe in the one I have now. My blender is actually dying as we speak, so I will need to replace it soon. I do want to get a Vitamix someday, but with getting married in October, I am afraid a purchase like that will have to wait!

Hi, Bek! I do not, unfortunately, have a hi-speed blender. So what I do is first grind the cashews/mixture in the food processor to really break it up. THEN add the crushed/chopped cashew mixture to the blender with the rejuvelac/other liquids. I find that I sometimes have to add a teeny bit more liquid to keep the blades moving.

Something else that has helped is an immersion blender; I have just a basic Cuisinart I got for about $30, and I've used that to add yet another blade's action to the process, if I can't get it smooth enough after processing and blending.

Lots of dishes, but so worth it!

PS - register for the Vitamix! Maybe people can contribute to it via certificates, etc... That's the gift that will forever keep on giving.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:06 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Bek wrote:

You can get by with a less powerful blender if you let your cashews soak at least overnight - or use cashew butter. On her blog, Miyoko suggests about 4 1/2 ounces of raw cashew butter equals a cup of raw cashews.

But the texture of the finished cheese will be smoother once you upgrade to a Vitamix or whatnot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:53 pm 

Ariann wrote:

Isn't this basically Mattie's butter (http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/fats/vegan-butters/vegan-butter)? If so, I've been making it for a couple of years now and it is awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:28 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

veganchubosaurus wrote:
Ariann wrote:

Isn't this basically Mattie's butter (http://www.veganbaking.net/recipes/fats/vegan-butters/vegan-butter)? If so, I've been making it for a couple of years now and it is awesome!

if you compare all of the "big 4" vegan butter recipes, they use pretty much the same ingredients but in different ratios. I haven't personally made them all, but I'm guessing each unique combination yields different flavors, consistencies and baking behaviors.

Mattie's is formulated specifically for baking, but I get the impression Miyoko's is more for spreading and general cooking and is part of her call to boycott earth balance and other palm oil based spreads.

Like you, I've used Mattie's for baking with great success (before I went low-carb)... but I ended up hacking a softer version for spreading that uses yogurt (the AVC recipe of course!) instead of the milk because I typically have yogurt in the fridge. It's super creamy and still has that nice "cultured" flavor.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:24 pm 

zero33 wrote:
veganchubosaurus wrote:
Ariann wrote:

if you compare all of the "big 4" vegan butter recipes, they use pretty much the same ingredients but in different ratios. I haven't personally made them all, but I'm guessing each unique combination yields different flavors, consistencies and baking behaviors.

Mattie's is formulated specifically for baking, but I get the impression Miyoko's is more for spreading and general cooking and is part of her call to boycott earth balance and other palm oil based spreads.

Like you, I've used Mattie's for baking with great success (before I went low-carb)... but I ended up hacking a softer version for spreading that uses yogurt (the AVC recipe of course!) instead of the milk because I typically have yogurt in the fridge. It's super creamy and still has that nice "cultured" flavor.

I actually make Mattie's yogurt-based butter (swapping out some coconut oil for canola) for our everyday butter. Sounds similar to your hack. It's delicious!

Anyway, I wasn't trying to nitpick or cause problems. Quite the opposite - I was trying to say that Miyoko's butter should be delicious! I didn't even know that she had a butter recipe. I need to pay more attention to my copy of AVC, clearly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Bek wrote:

I have a Vitamix now, but in the past I used cheapo blenders and that works too. Just more scraping, takes longer, it's not as smooth as Vitamix, but still pretty good and when using nuts soaking will help much better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:21 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

veganchubosaurus wrote:
I actually make Mattie's yogurt-based butter (swapping out some coconut oil for canola) for our everyday butter. Sounds similar to your hack. It's delicious!

Anyway, I wasn't trying to nitpick or cause problems. Quite the opposite - I was trying to say that Miyoko's butter should be delicious! I didn't even know that she had a butter recipe. I need to pay more attention to my copy of AVC, clearly.

sorry - I didn't think you were rabble-rousing :) - I've had a rough week, so my tone is probably sounding a little curt unintentionally... I apologize for that.

I had completely forgotten that Mattie has a yogurt-based version - I bet that's exactly where I started... but in my laziness - err, I mean "penchant for simplicity" - I just blend the heck out of 1/4 cup yogurt, 1/4 cup coconut oil, and a heavy drizzle of mct oil and call it done. ;)

i don't think Miyoko's butter recipe is in AVC yet - here's a link to the video that luminousvegans.com got it from -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcZQ89Gmu5I

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:36 pm 

zero33 wrote:
veganchubosaurus wrote:

sorry - I didn't think you were rabble-rousing :) - I've had a rough week, so my tone is probably sounding a little curt unintentionally... I apologize for that.

I had completely forgotten that Mattie has a yogurt-based version - I bet that's exactly where I started... but in my laziness - err, I mean "penchant for simplicity" - I just blend the heck out of 1/4 cup yogurt, 1/4 cup coconut oil, and a heavy drizzle of mct oil and call it done. ;)

i don't think Miyoko's butter recipe is in AVC yet - here's a link to the video that luminousvegans.com got it from -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcZQ89Gmu5I

Whew! Now I feel less dumb. I thought somehow I had used that book many times and never saw the butter recipe.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:15 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

i'm craving jalapeño cream cheese dip - gotta get some cashews soakin'!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:20 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Solkiki wrote:
Bek wrote:

I have a Vitamix now, but in the past I used cheapo blenders and that works too. Just more scraping, takes longer, it's not as smooth as Vitamix, but still pretty good and when using nuts soaking will help much better.

same here. I haven't made any since getting my Vitamix, actually.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:00 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

jalapeno cream cheese crackers - took a week, but it was worth the wait!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:31 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

gluten-free blueberry pancakes with cashew cream cheese topping and maple syrup, sitting next to tofu scramble and smokey crumbles - I'm stuffed!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:20 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

I am finally going to give this a try!
So I have rejuvelac in the making; I am trying quinoa first as it seems rather fast and simple. I might also try one with kamut to see what the difference is.

I wanted some opinions on the aged vs. the air dried cheeses. Which is better? From my understanding the aged cheeses will have more flavour but less 'original' consistency and vice versa for the air dried ones? Or am I totally wrong? Also, how long would you need to wait to get a nice sharp flavour?

Any favorites to recommend?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1567 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63  Next