| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:00 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

The air-dried cheddar is my fave!

Think the firmest too, from what I have tried

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:40 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

awesome thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:06 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

SwissMiss wrote:
I am finally going to give this a try!
So I have rejuvelac in the making; I am trying quinoa first as it seems rather fast and simple. I might also try one with kamut to see what the difference is.

I wanted some opinions on the aged vs. the air dried cheeses. Which is better? From my understanding the aged cheeses will have more flavour but less 'original' consistency and vice versa for the air dried ones? Or am I totally wrong? Also, how long would you need to wait to get a nice sharp flavour?

Any favorites to recommend?

Oh I'd love to hear how you get on. I've not tried it before with rejuvelac, only with pro-biotics.

I've dried cheeses in the dehydrator and this makes a more cheesy flavour and less creamy I find, not sure if this is what you were talking about.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:18 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

okay, I think things are going well!
The rejuvelac smells nice, but it is slightly sparkly. Is that normal?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:23 am 
Baking In The Flavor

yep - the bubbles mean it is fermenting successfully

SwissMiss wrote:
okay, I think things are going well!
The rejuvelac smells nice, but it is slightly sparkly. Is that normal?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:26 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

brilliant!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:40 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

So I just made my cashew cream cheese to be the base of the other recipes. However, I am not sure about my rejuvelac. It smells less lemony now. It also doesn't taste lemony. Could I have left it out too long? I left it 4 days out and 1 day in the fridge (without the sprouts).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:08 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

my experience has been that its very hard to kill rejuvelac - even after a week or more in the fridge...

if it is still active, your cheese mixture will rise and get air pockets. here a photo of some cheddar after about 3 days in the pantry:

your basic cashew mix should look similar but white

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:31 pm 
Saggy Butt

So I thought I'd "cracked the code" with yogurt-making, firing up my oven to just 110º twice and letting it sit overnight (described a bit upthread). But I had used soy milk that time, and this time, I tried almond milk - which has a lower protein content; while - as expected - the almond milk resulted in a thinner consistency, it also separated (reacted differently/held temp differently than the soy, I suppose).

I therefore cut to the basic yogurt cheese (aka separated yogurt re-purposing). I found that the double layer of cheesecloth led to the yogurt eventually seeping thru the holes of the cheesecloth - so I switched to a nut bag, draped over a sieve, and this REALLY did the trick: nice and thick.

And there it sat a few days - just wasn't sure what to do with it...

I went to make homemade pizza on this rainy night, and realized I was out of soy milk for a quick meltable mozz. So I grabbed the thick yogurt cheese, mixed it with some nooch, miso, melted REFINED coconut oil, and lemon juice, and dropped spoonfuls (since it's too thick to drizzle, too soft to slice or shred) all over the homemade dough and sauce, and baked as usual. About 2/3 of the way thru, I reached in with my spatula, and sort of swirled the cheese around, so it would break up the spoonfuls and cover more surface area. A few minutes more, and it browned and bubbled and looked great.

As for the texture/taste? It's not stretchy, of course, like meltable homemade cheeses are - but the flavor is FABULOUS, cultured and tangy, and the mouth-feel is just lovely and soft, and gives way to really appreciate the dough. And the bonus is that it doesn't have the greasy layer/pool that the stretchy cheeses can have. Yum! If I weren't so challenged, I'd have posted a pic.

Curious what anyone else did with their yogurt cheese?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:35 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Any have any luck making coconut yoghurt?

Followed her recipe but used coconut milk, did not set what so ever.

Anyone have any tips to make coconut yoghurt?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:59 pm 
Naked Under Apron

has anyone had luck using wheatberries to make rejuvelac? I just got a bag of them from winter CSA and don't really feel like eating them so I thought I'd try.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:14 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I think that would probably work just fine. Try cooking some though, they have a nice bite and can be quite delicious! I think Isa has a recipe for wheat berry salad on the blog that I want to try sometime.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:33 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've made rejuvelac several times with wheat berries. It takes a little longer, but is easy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:00 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I love the brie recipe in this book (first edition I believe) and decided to try the revised version that can be found here. I still prefer the rejuvelac one from the book but this other brie is also good, easier to make (uses yoghurt instead of rejuvelac) and has a bid of a rind. I used arrowroot instead of tapioca since tapioca makes everything taste bad according to my tastebuds. It turned out just fine and pretty firm.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:48 am 
***LIES!!!***

I've got yogurt in the oven (oven's off, it's just the warmest place), and cream cheese on the counter!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:01 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I just made the sharp cheddar, and it is awesome!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:24 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

otherdimension wrote:
Any have any luck making coconut yoghurt?

Followed her recipe but used coconut milk, did not set what so ever.

Anyone have any tips to make coconut yoghurt?

I've made coconut yoghurt in the past using young thai coconut, vegan yoghurt starter and a bit of coconut water. It was very coconut flavoured as you might expect. It was a bit too strong for me, but my family ate it happily. Next time I would mix it with water instead of coconut water to make the mixture very creamy.

I've made lots of soy and nut milk yoghurts, I find that they never set on their own, I've tried lots of different techniques to make it thicker like with cornstarch, agar agar, arrowroot, tapioca, I found it too much work and not a nice result. The easiest technique for me is to add a cup of (soaked and sprouted) cashews, about 1 cup to a litre of plant milk. It makes for a nice consistency this way and not too much work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:42 am 
***LIES!!!***

Nobody wants to eat the cream cheese. Suggestions on repurposing it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:55 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ariann, I didn't love my cream cheese either - how did yours come out? Mine wasn't quite the texture I was hoping for and it was fairly sour for a cream cheese. What I did was divided it into 2 batches and made one a garlic and scallion spread and another a sundried tomato one (food processed the later with the dried kind until the tomatoes were mostly incorporated but still a little chunky). These variations I liked and was able to use up on bagels and in sandwiches.

Otherwise, depending on how sour yours came out, maybe you could incorporate it into a pasta sauce or into a dessert? Something like little cream cheese tarts with cherries?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:46 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

you can send to me ;)

seriously though, love the stuff... adding fat fixes the texture issue for me - makes it creamier.

I like to whip it with some yogurt, coconut milk or mct oil and sweetener and pour over berries or pancakes/waffles/french toast... or blend it with coconut oil and sweetener as a filling for cheesecake bites...

for savory recipes like dips and sauces, i use olive or mct oil for the fat.

i've even used it in a cream cheese biscuit recipe with good results... and mixed with breadcrumbs and mushrooms (or jackfruit), for a shroom stuffing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:48 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, I think whipping it would be a major improvement. It is really not sour at all. Very, very dense, though. It just doesn't really taste like much to me and isn't really creamy. The texture reminds me of those canisters of 99% hydrogenated cake frosting after you keep it in the fridge for a month. It was much better with a layer of strawberry jelly on top, but perhaps I will try whipping it with some yogurt and adding scallions or something else savory. I much prefer savory cream cheese to sweet, probably should've let it culture an extra day on the counter.

In better news, I figured out how to get my kid to eat homemade yogurt. Add jelly. She was thrilled and said it was like melted ice cream.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:12 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

after reading Miyoko's "more cheesy tips" post (http://www.artisanveganlife.com/more-cheesy-tips/) - i started culturing the cream cheese in my yogurt maker since it maintains just the right temp... comes out nice and tangy in about two 24 hour cycles.

i also soak my cashews in the fridge for several days (changing the water every other day or so) instead of just 8 hours - they blend up super-duper creamy.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

zero33 wrote:
after reading Miyoko's "more cheesy tips" post (http://www.artisanveganlife.com/more-cheesy-tips/) - i started culturing the cream cheese in my yogurt maker since it maintains just the right temp... comes out nice and tangy in about two 24 hour cycles.

i also soak my cashews in the fridge for several days (changing the water every other day or so) instead of just 8 hours - they blend up super-duper creamy.

Mental note to read up on that again before my next delve into AVC; such great tips and ideas. (Good grief, she posted it for a reason - I even have it bookmarked, but always forget...!) Thanx for the reminder, and great to hear about the extended cashew soak. Do you have any problems with their discoloring? Or is that solely when left to soak at room temp too long?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Ariann wrote:
I much prefer savory cream cheese to sweet, probably should've let it culture an extra day on the counter.

As long as you haven't added anything else to the cream cheese (and even if you did, depending on what it is), you can just take it back out of the fridge and let it culture some more until it tastes more to your liking.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:13 am 
***LIES!!!***

Yeah, that makes sense, I'll do that today. I haven't added anything to it yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63  Next