| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:46 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Tried the meltable mozzarella several times, and i'm saddened that it didn't melt on my pizza but they turned translucent? at 500 degrees.

I'm a pizza freak i use baking steel for my pizzas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:51 am 
Huffs Nooch

i've found that for pizza and other "gooey" dishes, i like it better if i skip the water, carrageenan and the ice bath and just make a thick sauce... since it's going to be melted anyway, i don't see the point of making the balls.

never had it go translucent though... no ideas on what would cause that :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:29 pm 

It's kind of a let down considering that I wanted to save money on vegan cheese, store bought price for just a small baggie is absurd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:49 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

So, I've got some rejuvelac going. The wheat sprouted after just one day so I put it in the two jars as in the instructions and it's been sitting since Thursday night. It's cloudy, but not white cloudy (more of a golden cloudy), and i just tasted it and it has a only a very faint taste. I'm guessing it's not ready yet? Is it normal for it to take more than 3 days?

We were gone so it hasn't been super warm in here. Not cold, but definitely not 65-70 like it normally is.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:01 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I finally just got the book, and I don't know where to begin! I've more or less followed this entire thread as it happened, but now that I finally have the book I feel like I can't remember anything. Well, quinoa rejuvulac seems to be the easiest, so I'm going to get that started. I just want to make everything right now!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:41 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I did not like the AVC recipe for mozzarella at all. Even the modified one on her blog turned out terrible. I love all her other cheeses.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:20 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tangier cream cheese is better than mild cream cheese. I case you were wondering.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:47 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

So, I made a half recipe of the basic cashew cheese today. I had to add way more rejuvelac than it called for because it simply would *not* blend with the amount it called for and I was worried about overheating it.

The mix tasted like plain cashews blended up and it's been sitting out a few hours (have it covered with plastic wrap) and it is starting to smell like yoghurt. Am I on the right track?

I'm still not sure if my rejuvelac is even worth anything. It's not thickening really that I can tell. I'm scared to waste a lot of cashews because I can't afford to buy a lot of them right now. :-/

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:34 pm 
Huffs Nooch

butterbobbin - sounds like it's working :) as it ferments over the next few days the flavor will become more "complex".

your rejuvelac won't thicken, it'll just be watery and you may see some white stuff settling on the bottom of the container.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:44 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

VeganVamp wrote:
Words cannot express my infatuation with (successfully) making my own yogurt!

I think I've cracked the code, and I do not live in a "warm" climate (usually high 60s/low 70s are our highs, although we have some heat spells now and again).

About 500pm, I wrapped my two jars of warm yogurt mixture in oven mitts and set them, standing, in my small Le Creuset. Heated the oven just to 110°F (the dial only goes as low as 180°F, so I just turn it off when the thermometer reads 110°F), then placed the pan in the oven.

3 hours later, I again slightly pre-heated the oven to 110°F, then turned it off (yogurt still inside). Left everything in the oven and went to bed.

Awoke 10 hours later to perfect yogurt in my cool oven: thick, creamy, none of that gelatinous texture store-bought yogurt has, and just the right tang for me. I don't want to be without this yogurt (and, fortunately, I don't have to!).

I have tried a few other methods previously: setting a jar on top of a plastic plate in a water bath inside my crock-pot, and turning it on and off periodically; and setting the jars inside 1/2-gallon thermal containers, pouring in warm water, and exchanging cool water with fresh warm water a few times every so often. Each of those methods resulted in yogurt that somewhat separated: it was pretty good, but not quite thick enough, and always had a layer of water at the bottom of each jar.

This new method resulted in a full jar of thick & creamy yogurt, no extra water!

Happy, happy...

Obnoxiously quoting myself to say I had attempted yogurt again last month, without reviewing my notes here, and ended up with MAJOR separation: ended up draining it in a nut bag to make yogurt cheese (which was, fortunately, fabulous in its own right).

Still, I longed for yogurt success, tasted (pun intended) previously... so I pulled up this thread to remind myself that I did NOT need to keep heating up the oven, that I only did it twice that successful time. And when I made a new batch last night, I just left the light on after the initial heat to 110F; the jars - smaller ones, wrapped in oven mitts, standing up in a glass pyrex with towels on top to cover - maintained great temp, and again, I awoke to an oven housing some LOVELY yogurt. I thought it seemed a bit thin/soupy, and suspected I spied some liquid, but after sitting in the fridge all day, it's PERFECTLY thick, NO separation.

I think my downfall last time was overheating the jars during incubation. 110F was the magic number in my head. I believe I was a bit obsessive about it, trying to keep it RIGHT EXACTLY at 110F, which is difficult when foregoing special equipment and using a big ol' oven to maintain warmth. I researched a bit and found that 110F is the MAX heat - above this can kill the culture, so maintaining between 100-110F is perfect, and more "do-able" and not such a stride for perfection.

Also, reading that soy milk has the most protein of the non-dairy milks, I think this particular combo of soy milk + soy yogurt leaves less variable for failure. I know I've used coconut yogurt and other non-dairy milks in the past, with success - but as Miyoko says on her website, using milk other than soy will result in a more liquid-y end product (not bad, but not as thick).

Hooray for homemade yogurt! Got to impress my visiting MIL by pulling out my jars this morning - AND made a fab dessert for omni adolescent and newly-vegan hub this evening:

2c of yogurt + a large frozen banana + a cup of frozen raspberries + a tsp of vanilla =

fruity and fresh and perfect frozen yogurt, no added sweetener

(and I sprinkled some chia on top, because I love a li'l texture).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:43 am 
Inflexitarian

I've made the meltable mozzarella a couple of times, and while I really like the texture, I found it still tasted quite yogurty. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe not culturing long enough? Or am I kidding myself thinking that it's going to taste like anything other than yogurt considering that's its primary ingredient?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:33 am 
***LIES!!!***

Used my homemade yogurt to make tempeh tikka masala last night. It was a big hit!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:12 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I started my first batch today, the sharp cheddar. I can't wait for it to finish culturing!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:43 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I'm confused. I'm making the sharp cheddar with agar because I don't have carrageenan yet. Can I just throw the agar powder directly into the pan with the cheese as I would with the carrageenan, or do I have to first boil the agar by itself in water? The recipe does not say to boil the agar first, but in all the recipes that only use agar the agar gets boiled in water first and that is what every other recipe using agar has always told me to do. I don't want to ruin my cheese!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:07 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I think you have to boil it in water, even though the recipe doesn't specify that. I have a vague memory of Miyoko saying so, somewhere in this thread. Before I had carrageenan, I tried agar without the boiling water and it didn't work.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:38 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Yeah, I looked at her extra tips and pointers on her websight and she says if you want to use agar you need to boil it in water first, so I'm going to do it that way. I hope she will make that clear in the next edition of the book, because it's pretty misleading in the book. Anyway, I've ordered carraggeenan, so soon I won't have to use agar. Thanks Cornelie!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
Yeah, I looked at her extra tips and pointers on her websight and she says if you want to use agar you need to boil it in water first, so I'm going to do it that way. I hope she will make that clear in the next edition of the book, because it's pretty misleading in the book. Anyway, I've ordered carraggeenan, so soon I won't have to use agar. Thanks Cornelie!

So for carrageenan, do you not have to boil in water first? I sort of thought it was the same principle as the agar, but Lard knows i'm not chemist...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:24 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

No, the carrageenan can just be thrown right into the pot, which, along with its ability to melt is why it is preferable to agar for cheese making. Follow the directions in the book exactly if you are using carrageenan. Be sure to use kappa carrageenan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:23 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Ah, good to know. Thanks Rhizo! I do have kappa carrageenan so I'll just use that from now on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:35 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

My carrageenan has shipped! I want to make one of the meltable cheeses with it. Is there a favorite or best meltable cheese in the book? It sounds like the mozzerella is a least favorite, and I just made a batch of sharp cheddar, so I don't want to make meltable chedar too yet, unless it's really far and away the best of the meltables. So I guess that narrows it down to muenster and monterey jack. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:26 pm 

I'd like to find out how Muenster goes since i hate wasting Carrageenan on the mozzarella recipe ԅ(≖‿≖ԅ)
good luck on your sharp cheddar rhiz!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:25 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I did not care for the mozz but do like the jack. I dont recall if I made the muenster, need to check...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:58 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I saw someone asking about re-purposing cheese that didn't turn out so well or nobody liked to eat. When that happens with me if it's too liquid I'll make a cheese sauce of it or add it to stir fried veggies. When it's more solid I might use it over a pizza or add it to stir fried veggies as well. I like the curry idea someone mentioned here too, need to try that!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:54 pm 

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
My carrageenan has shipped! I want to make one of the meltable cheeses with it. Is there a favorite or best meltable cheese in the book? It sounds like the mozzerella is a least favorite, and I just made a batch of sharp cheddar, so I don't want to make meltable chedar too yet, unless it's really far and away the best of the meltables. So I guess that narrows it down to muenster and monterey jack. Suggestions?

Had good success with the Muenster, a bit milder than the mozzarella. I've had good luck with the meltable mozzarella as well, which is more bitey than the meunster.

I found most of the meltable cheeses don't really melt, but more so "soften" and spread a bit.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:56 pm 

Made the air dried cheddar and substituted truffle oil for the optional canola oil!

Turned out great and added a lovely earthy undertone to the already sharp undertone.

I wish I could get the cheddar to crack less-- for a better appearance. I tried the wine and salt basting, but didn't find it made it any less crackly than salt alone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62  Next