| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:00 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I have GOT to get this book.

I feel like this is gonna be a crazy rabbit hole to go down -- making cheese. ha.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:57 am 
Baking In The Flavor

both of these sound promising - never seen either of them!

JayB wrote:
FYI, I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but since the company I mentioned above got back to me, I thought I'd report it here. The company says this yeast extract spread is gluten free, grown on non-GMO sugar beets, and doesn't have anything else added to it but sea salt: http://shop.organic-gourmet.com/product ... tegoryId=2

They also have miso pastes from oats, which I can't have and I'm not sure how they'd taste, but they exist: http://shop.organic-gourmet.com/categor ... egoryId=10

Probably y'all already know about these options, but I just discovered them for myself yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:26 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

JayB wrote:
I have an allergy to All The Things.

Can you maybe have barley? South River makes a barley-chickpea miso without rice: http://www.southrivermiso.com/store/p/8 ... arley.html

You can also buy barley koji to make your own miso.

Rice allergy must suck badly. So many 'allergy friendly' things are made with rice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:52 pm 
Tofu Pup

Cornelie--oh, reeeeaaaally? I did not realize that. I don't know yet about barley. I used to be allergic to it, but the last test was negative, which means either I'm not allergic or it's been so long since I've had it that I don't have the antibodies in my system anymore. I was planning to test it, maybe this is how I'll do that. :)

The rice allergy does suck so much. I just recently found out about it, actually. I was so dense that although I'd been reacting to rice, I kept thinking it was cross-contamination. Rice is my go-to food. I love avocado sushi rolls. I ate a lot of modified Korean food (not really recognizable as Korean due to my garlic and sesame allergies). I still haven't figured out what exactly to eat. Dates, avocados, cabbage, sunbutter, and chocolate is pretty much all I've had for two weeks. Not together, of course.

But like all new situations that are thrust upon us, it just takes a little getting used to. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:42 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I really hope the barley works out for you! Not at all related to cheese making, but if your system tolerates millet, that's a decent rice substitute.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:54 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

What about chickpea miso?

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:55 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Oh just saw the rice thing. Darn!

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:48 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks, Cornelie. And @stuckunderhere, thanks anyway!

[OT but I have always loved how friendly everyone is on this board. My normal internet rule is "don't read the comments" (I just violated that rule on an article about a vegan diet, and now I'm regretting it). It's nice to find a safe place on the internet where people aren't thinking of the most awful things they can say to strangers from the safety of their anonymity just because they're bitter and want to take it out on someone.]

I'm going to do some brainstorming and see what options I can come up with. If I manage not to poison myself, I will let y'all know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:17 am 
Bathes in Braggs

JayB wrote:
I'm going to do some brainstorming and see what options I can come up with. If I manage not to poison myself, I will let y'all know how it goes.

Please do!

If you'd like a little more support, don't hesitate to open a dedicated thread in The Kitchen or The Spa with lists of things you can and can't eat and ask for recipe suggestions, substitutes etc. You'll be surprised by the yummy things people come up with.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:38 pm 
Tofu Pup

I tried to post a response already, and I think I screwed up and made it disappear. Sorry if this is a double post.

Summary of my last post:
I definitely may take you up your suggestion, Cornelie, to start a new thread. I'm usually good at coming up with food ideas, but after this last round of tests, I'm flummoxed.

If anyone is interested in using it for cheese-making, I wanted to mention that I received today the Organic Gourmet Savoury Spread Nutritional Yeast Extract that I linked to above. I think I might be reacting to yeast now, and I did seem to react a little to this, but I'm going to try again when my seasonal allergies aren't going crazy. I really want it to work because it was SO GOOD. It's like nutritional yeast in a spread form, with that same cheese-like flavor. It's kind of like caramel sauce in texture and appearance. I won't say I would eat it by the spoonful like I'd do with miso. But I did have to stop myself from licking the outside of the lid where I'd spilled some.

I ordered mine from the Organic Gourmet website, but they also have it at vegan essentials, too. If I'm ok with this, I'm definitely going to try to make some cheese with this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:29 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

A bit off topic but, I was watching a video of Miyoko making cheeses and my 5 month old baby was intently interested, making gestures that he wanted to eat the cheese. It was really stinking cute. Can't wait to make him the yogurt.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:24 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I can't believe how easy i is to make yogurt! Just made waffles with vanilla yogurt sauce, pecans, cherry compote and ginger stoudt syrup (from testing for the Cinnamon Snail cookbook). So freakin good! Yesterday I made a vanilla greek yogurt with cherry sauce. So happy I got this book.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63