| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 63  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:56 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Daphne wrote:
Ive got my cashews soaking...tomorrow I will start making the following:
bleu cheese

Which bleu cheese are you making?? This one isn't in the book...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:58 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

By the way, my Parmesan is still drying out. It's turning pretty dark, but that was to be expected. I've got sharp Cheddar in the fridge that was left out for one day, but I plan on making two more batches (left out for two and three days) so that I can compare them all in three months. Is that crazy?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:20 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Oh, yeah, also, my sharp Cheddar isn't firm enough to unmold neatly, so I'm going to scoop it out, shape it with my hands and wrap it back up in plastic so that I can get the bowls out of the fridge. Are other people's Cheddars unmolding nicely? Or did you line your bowl with parchment or something?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:16 am 
Not NOT A Furry

The easy cheesy sauce... If using for macaroni cheese should I add some xanthan gum or not? I like my macaroni cheese fairly solid and gooey- not like pasta with a sauce... I notice too that there is no rejuvelac in it- if I'm planing on culturing the cashews then would it be good to add some.

I seriously love this book.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:22 am 
Not NOT A Furry

PoesiePie wrote:
Oh, yeah, also, my sharp Cheddar isn't firm enough to unmold neatly, so I'm going to scoop it out, shape it with my hands and wrap it back up in plastic so that I can get the bowls out of the fridge. Are other people's Cheddars unmolding nicely? Or did you line your bowl with parchment or something?

I very lightly greased my loaf tin, I figured since there is oil as an optional ingredient that it wouldn't do any harm. It came out quite easily, after loosening the sides with a palette life. It was fairly firm already- like firm tofu maybe?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:22 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I did grease mine, too, but I used a bowl and can't really loosen the sides. Sounds like mine is softer than yours, as well. I had to soak for the longer period, maybe that's why. Anyway, I'll try molding it by hand. I think that'll be fine. I kind of like the idea of making it something other than bowl-shaped, anyway, for the sake of presentation.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:46 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I was wondering if I could use a plastic margerine tub for the purpose- the book specifies glass or metal, but my square marge tubs would be a good shape and size, and would be handy for fridge storage (with plastic wrap inside too...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:19 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

PoesiePie wrote:
Daphne wrote:
Ive got my cashews soaking...tomorrow I will start making the following:
bleu cheese

Which bleu cheese are you making?? This one isn't in the book...

HI Posie,

Sorry about that--I didnt clarify....the bleu cheese is this one:

http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2012/05/v ... ecipe.html

I HIGHLY recommend this--it is delicious (and its still culturing) and it tastes so much like the real stuff already!

A few points:

basically just follow the directions and you will have no problem, however, she says to use 1/2 a jar of fermented tofu for the cashews and then "1 jar" of tofu for the pumpkin seeds--I took this to be a typo (there are a few on her blog) as she meant to say a 1/2 jar for the pumpkin seeds. I also used WHITE miso.

I did need to add some rejuvelac to get my blender going and I used a Tbs of coconut yogurt for the acidopholis that she called for. Instead of putting in a bowl to culture, I placed in a cheese cloth lined sieve over a bowl ( but I do this with nearly all of my cheeses) that way it drains out more. For the blue-green algae, I bought one of those little personal sized packets of it at the health food store that way I didnt have to buy a tub of the stuff (its expensive and I wont use it for any other purpose).

Let me know if you make this. I'll post a pic of mine when its ready. I cannot wait to eat blue cheese dressing thats dairy free!!

D.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:13 pm 
Nailed to the V

Finally. FINALLY my book is shipping!
It should be here by the end of the week.

Finally. CHEEESEE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:25 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Hey, everyone, Miyoko here. When you finish a cheese or two, please try them in one of the recipes for cheese dishes. For example, with fall around the corner, the easy Gruyere and Butternut Squash Ravioli is a real winner. Or the brie en croute, which I seem to make regularly for my family and friends. Would love to see what you think.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:27 pm 
Nailed to the V

:) will do, Miyoko. that sounds delish the Ravioli :)
(and will give me an excuse to buy a ravioli stamp!)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:28 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

i'm definitely in, esp for the Ravioli. mmmmmmmmm

Miyoko, your book is genius!

miyokoschinner wrote:
Hey, everyone, Miyoko here. When you finish a cheese or two, please try them in one of the recipes for cheese dishes. For example, with fall around the corner, the easy Gruyere and Butternut Squash Ravioli is a real winner. Or the brie en croute, which I seem to make regularly for my family and friends. Would love to see what you think.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:45 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So has anyone else tried the mozzarella recipe from VegNews? I just made it tonight and it tastes mostly like yogurt. The recipe calls for yogurt instead of rejuvelac, and I used the Whole Soy brand (plain, unsweetened). When I mixed the blended cashew mix with the drained yogurt, it tasted like diluted yogurt. I let it culture 24 h and the mix just tastes like really creamy yogurt...once I added tapioca and agar and did the ice water step it was the same flavor, but firm. What do you guys think? I'm making rejuvelac now, so I can try the book recipe in a few days.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Update: the yogurt flavor is much less noticeable *in* a dish. I just made myself a caprese salad and YUM! But I'm still wondering if my cheese tastes like it's supposed to.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:22 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Ahh, thanks Daphne. I'd love to make a bleu cheese, and the fermented tofu in that totally makes sense. However, I've experimented with it before, and I just don't like it. I can't even imagine pouring all that slimy liquid in from one of the jars! Please let us know how yours turns out, though! Maybe I'll change my mind.

Miyoko, I really want to make the Brie en Croute, but I was wondering if it would be okay to use the softer Brie rather than the air dried one called for in the recipe?

Last night I made the smoked Provolone which is now sitting out to dry for a couple days. It was really easy and looks adorable. Also started the Swiss style cheese. Exciting!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:25 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

couroupita wrote:
Update: the yogurt flavor is much less noticeable *in* a dish. I just made myself a caprese salad and YUM! But I'm still wondering if my cheese tastes like it's supposed to.

I made the jack with unsweetened whole soy and it just tasted like salty yogurt. unfortunately nothing from this book has worked out for me so far. I tried the basic cashew cheese twice and both times it just tasted fermented rather than tangy and cultured. I've spent a lot of money on cashews, but I may give it another shot in the fall when it's cooler in my kitchen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:00 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Posie:

Ha! I dont blame you--I didnt use the liquid in the jar either--I just couldn't stomach that! I will post a pic when its ready.

D.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:48 pm 
Tofu Pup

Miyoko, this may be a dumb question. But when making the Buffalo Mozz: I assume the yogurt needs to be in the refrigerator while it's straining. Is that correct?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:59 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

misterrachel wrote:
Miyoko, this may be a dumb question. But when making the Buffalo Mozz: I assume the yogurt needs to be in the refrigerator while it's straining. Is that correct?

Thanks!

No, it's not a dumb question. The yogurt should NOT be refrigerated when draining. That's what makes it culture longer and get more cheese-like. I'm not sure what VegNews said (some editing was done), but I mentioned hanging it in a cheese or nut bag on your faucet over the sink. That's what I do. The resulting product should be thicker than sour cream, almost dry looking. They've been doing this in Europe for hundreds of years. If you do it in the fridge, it may end up tasting like extra thick yogurt. When combined with the richness of cashews, it can become quite delectable. I should add that I always use homemade yogurt (recipe in my book). I do not use commercial yogurt except as a starter as it has tapioca and other stabilizers in it. I also don't care for the taste.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:08 pm 
Tofu Pup

miyokoschinner wrote:
misterrachel wrote:

Thanks!

No, it's not a dumb question. The yogurt should NOT be refrigerated when draining. That's what makes it culture longer and get more cheese-like. I'm not sure what VegNews said (some editing was done), but I mentioned hanging it in a cheese or nut bag on your faucet over the sink. That's what I do. The resulting product should be thicker than sour cream, almost dry looking. They've been doing this in Europe for hundreds of years. If you do it in the fridge, it may end up tasting like extra thick yogurt. When combined with the richness of cashews, it can become quite delectable. I should add that I always use homemade yogurt (recipe in my book). I do not use commercial yogurt except as a starter as it has tapioca and other stabilizers in it. I also don't care for the taste.

Thank you, I appreciate it. Looking forward to giving this a whirl! Off to find some agar powder...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Well maybe I will try it again with homemade yogurt. I did let mine drain at room temp.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:28 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

couroupita wrote:
Well maybe I will try it again with homemade yogurt. I did let mine drain at room temp.

Did it reduce by at least 75%?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:38 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

If anyone is looking for something to try from this - the *taste* of the sharp cheddar is amazing. Incredible. Has a taste I've never experienced in the vegan world before.. It's not lemony, or mustardy, or tangy, it's... sharp. Like cheese.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:53 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I love cheddar, so that sounds fantastic Matt! Were all of the ingredients easy to obtain in Australia?

I ordered Artisan Vegan Cheese several weeks ago but sadly fishpond have taken forever to send it. Hopefully it arrives soon as I'm desperate to begin making my own cheese! :-)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I got my copy today!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1564 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 63  Next