| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Artisan Vegan Cheese
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm not sure about the smell coming from my rejuvelacs, but Julialegume says it's lemony, so I'm going with it and finally, on to the next step.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:48 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

JD, my rye rejuvelac smells a bit footy, but tastes light and lemony. I think depending on the grain that just can happen.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:43 pm 
Tofu Pup

bekki wrote:
My Zoetrope wrote:
Can we talk about what brand of carageenan everyone is using? And does yours smell really bad? I found irish moss powder at a natural food store and this stuff STINKS. Like, beyond fishy. Rotten fish or something. It makes me retch anytime I get a whiff of it, so I was a bit apprehensive putting it into the cheeses, but I did anyways. I tried the monterey jack, and the smell didn't go away even after cooking. I had to throw it out, because the whole batch just tasted like it smelled. It faired a bit better in the air-dried camembert, but there are more things in that to cover up the flavor. The fresh mozzarella is only tolerable if I put lots of other things on it/around it. I know that the prob. is the irish moss powder, because everything tastes fine before I add that in, so I obviously need to get a different carageenan...

I started off using some from molecularrecipes.com, then bought the Willpowder. The cheese I made with the willpowder was my first real fail. It still hasn't set up properly, is gritty, and I can still taste a hint of funk. It's cheddar, so that's saying something. It smelled/tasted kind of like chlorinated fish...I tried to cook it with beer and it wouldn't even dissolve in pure liquid, whereas the MR brand gelled on contact and has no smell.

If yours is funky, I would stop using it. I ordered a 1 lb from MR that should be here Tuesday and I'll report back on it. Since the first batch I got from worked great, I don't see why this one would be any different.

Irish moss is not the same as carrageenan. Carrageenans are carbs extracted from Irish moss.

I have made the sharp cheddar so far- SO GOOD!!! I also made the cream cheese to put in danishes and they turned out great. Ive got another batch of rejuvelac going now.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:56 pm 
Saggy Butt

My rye rejuvelac might have been ok, I just didn't like the footish smell, and I don't think I left it long enough. As soon as I solve the fruit fly mystery in my kitchen I'll try again.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:21 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I dumped my footy rice rejuvelac and made some from quinoa, only letting it go 2 days. It smelled....tart? Not lemony but not like stinky feet either. I am not brave enough to taste it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

couroupita wrote:
I dumped my footy rice rejuvelac and made some from quinoa, only letting it go 2 days. It smelled....tart? Not lemony but not like stinky feet either. I am not brave enough to taste it.

Tart is how I would describe mine (also from quinoa). It doesn't taste exactly like lemon, but it has a really lemony quality to it, if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:13 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I read a few recipes on amazon and I must say, I'm really curious! As soon as I'm back "home" I'll get the book (or have it as a christmas present... wooohooo)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:46 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

a word to the wise: i wanted to finish off my cashews so i decided to increase all the ingredients by half in the air-dried cheddar recipe. all went well until the stirring phase. my poor arms. it was really really hard to keep stirring. i think i managed to get to the smooth and slightly glossy phase so hopefully it wasn't a fatal mistake.

so folks: there's a good reason the quantities are as stated in the book!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:59 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Can I freeze rejuvelac? Or if not how long will it last? My 5 cups is about three weeks old and I've used 1/2 cup! Most of the cheeses I'm making don't use it but I'll want it again for the sharp cheddar soon... Or can I make really tiny quantities..?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:14 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Another nother question- melty mozerella: do you have to put it in brine or could I put it in a mini muffin tin to form and then into the freezer to pull out for quick kids pizzas?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:17 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Another nother question- melty mozerella: do you have to put it in brine or could I put it in a mini muffin tin to form and then into the freezer to pull out for quick kids pizzas?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:10 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

i was almost out of rejuvelac so i cultured my sharp cheddar with what was left (1/4C.) plus a whole bunch of powdered probiotic i had that i wanted to use up before it lost potency. i'm guessing i used a couple of t. of the stuff. well! my cheese now before cooking is soooooooo sharp and tangy and dense, yet fluffy, much more so than when i used the recommended 1/2 C. i quite like it!

which made me wonder if using concentrated rejuvelac might give similar results. that is, using less water with the same amount of sprouted grains.

i'm guessing this is going to take some experimentation but i thought i'd put it out there. i'd hate to re-invent the wheel or waste my cashews!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:41 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

My rejuvalac is in the fridge. Trying to decide what to make first. Smoked provolone or sharp cheddar. Maybe both!

I will also be giving a copy of this book away during MoFo!

Kim Cooks Veg 4U Blog (new blog)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm so excited! My sharp cheddar has been culturing for about 24 hours now and it TASTES LIKE CHEESE! I'll be moving onto the next step very soon. I've never done anything like this before and am psyched that it's working.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Where are you guys getting the kappa carrageenan from? Any online store recs? I swore I'd seen it my local coop before but alas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

We're using the Kappa Carrageenan from the Molecular Foods people. It works great.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:59 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Hey first time poster here :) Awaiting my copy of the book (ordered 1st Sept :S) but wondering about this new mozz recipe from VegNews.... i might just try that! Can i use my own almond/coconut yogurt...? Or does it need to be soy? Ive never been a fan of soy yogurt :( Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:05 pm 
Naked Under Apron

jdfunks wrote:
Where are you guys getting the kappa carrageenan from? Any online store recs? I swore I'd seen it my local coop before but alas.

Julie ordered a bunch online that we split. I'd be glad to spot you a few tablespoons, so you don't have to wait.
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My cheese is setting!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:17 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

kittee wrote:
jdfunks wrote:

Julie ordered a bunch online that we split. I'd be glad to spot you a few tablespoons, so you don't have to wait.
xo
kittee

ooo, I may just take you up on this and pm ya. I'm gonna look into shipping first because I'm out of town in a few days so I suppose I can be patient, but thank you for the generous offer, kittee!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:57 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My carageenan was waiting at the post office this afternoon! I'll be stocking up on bulk cashews tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:19 am 
Bathes in Braggs

So I am leery of using carrageenan because I have read it is a suspected carcinogen. How do you know if you have the type that is not degraded?

The Joint FAO/WHO expert committee on food additives states that, "based on the information available, it is inadvisable to use carrageenan or processed eucheuma seaweed in infant formulas".[16] There is evidence from studies performed on rats, guinea pigs, and monkeys that indicates that degraded carrageenan (poligeenan) may cause ulcerations in the gastro-intestinal tract and gastro-intestinal cancer.[17] Poligeenan is produced from carrageenan when subjected to high temperatures and acidity. The average carrageenan molecule weighs more than 100,000 Da, while poligeenans have a molecular weight of less than 50,000 Da. A scientific committee working on behalf of the European Commission has recommended that the amount of degraded carrageenan be limited to a maximum of 5% (which is the limit of detection) of total carrageenan mass. Upon testing samples of foods containing high molecular weight carrageens, researchers found no poligeenan.[18] Based on research showing that it leads to colon cancer in laboratory animals, the International Agency for Research on Cancer recognizes degraded carrageenan as a "possible human carcinogen" and organizations such as the Cornucopia Institute are calling for it to be withdrawn from inclusion among acceptable ingredients in organic foods by the USDA.[19]
A study published in 2006 indicates that carrageenan induces inflammation in human intestinal epithelial cells in tissue culture through a BCL10-mediated pathway that leads to activation of NFkappaB and IL-8.[20] Carrageenan may be immunogenic due to its unusual alpha-1,3-galactosidic link, which is part of its disaccharide unit structure. Consumption of carrageenan may have a role in intestinal inflammation and possibly, inflammatory bowel disease, since BCL10 resembles NOD2, mutations of which are associated with genetic proclivity to Crohn's Disease.
Carrageenan is reported to interfere with macrophage activity.[21][22][23]
The health concerns for Carrageenan have led to a worldwide increase in prices because of the greater regulation surrounding its use as a food additive. Unfortunately, this has also led to large price increase for non-food uses, especially as an artistic material. One artificial alternative in many applications is methyl cellulose, which is also regulated as a food additive, but has greater market availability in America in both FDA and non-FDA approved forms.

Kim Cooks Veg 4U Blog (new blog)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:11 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Veg-in-Training: I ran across articles like that too, and then found this by Bryanna Clark Grogan, where she writes that "what you want to avoid is degraded carrageenan (poligeenan), but that is not really available to the home consumer, anyway."
http://www.bryannaclarkgrogan.com/page/ ... .htm#64275

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:46 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Melty Cheddar: how firm should it be? Mine is kind of gooey, like tofu maybe. It just about slices but will also spread... It melts ok but tastes a bit 'noochier' than I expected, even from the taste of the unthickened mix. I'm wondering if I should have cultured it longer (I did 24 hours)? Or added the extra miso (I used 2 of the possible 3 tablespoons)..?

What have other peoples' experiences of it been? I'm a little disappointed with my first batch.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:18 pm 
Tofu Pup

Cgvegan wrote:
Can I freeze rejuvelac? Or if not how long will it last? My 5 cups is about three weeks old and I've used 1/2 cup! Most of the cheeses I'm making don't use it but I'll want it again for the sharp cheddar soon... Or can I make really tiny quantities..?

I would like to know if you can freeze it, too. I googled but couldnt find an answer.

Also, I got my carrageenan here: modernistpantry.com
use freeship coupon code for free shipping

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 62  Next