| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mastering the Art of Vegan Cooking: Annie & Dan Shannon
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:05 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

ooh - a beautiful hard cover book, with a lot of recipes, not so many pictures. (kind of a throw back to "real life" when the last few books were chockful of pictures).

There is also a really in-depth index, and every chapter has a list of recipes.

there is a lot of personal information (Annie had lost her first baby during the manuscript, and was pregnant with her daughter (now born and happy and safe) when the book was finished, so a lot of the write up does talk about how it was difficult to really get up the gumption to do things, and cook, hence pantry cooking was v. helpful. I have seen a review saying that this wasn't for her it was too personal - but i am of the other vein. i like that it's included. Life sucks sometimes, it's horrible and you need to make food... and having a book that the author struggled, but still made yummy things, means when we're suffering from difficult things... you can still make yummy things and not have to think so much.

It's Betty goes Vegan inspired. (DELICIOUS food, some fats etc etc, so not uber healthy) but it is basically what you've got in the pantry, and if you have other stuff (gardein etc). you're good but of course use your own vegmeats

Post subject: Re: Mastering the Art of Vegan Cooking: Annie & Dan Shannon
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 10:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have a few things marked to make. Everything looks really good! It definitely still has a Betty Goes Vegan vibe, without being as reliant on faux meats, which I don't particularly mind, but seemed to be a common complaint with the last book.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:35 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Last night we had the Banana Churro Waffles and they were really good - they might be my favorite waffle recipe. I have tried a million recipes and usually I have a really hard time getting a good waffle with crisp exterior and fluffy interior. Not sure if that makes sense, but in my Belgian-style waffle maker they usually come out more on the tough side. These waffles turned out perfectly.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:59 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I picked up this book this week. Besides a good number of appealing recipes, the tips for organizing and cooking from your pantry are really helpful. It's funny they don't include recipes for homemade seitan to save money. I guess they wanted to keep a balance between cost and convenience. Anyway, I made the Aloha Dogs, which are hot dogs (I used Tofurky Beer Brats) topped with a fantastic pineapple salsa.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:20 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I made the roasted red pepper lentil soup (without pureeing it) and it was good.

I also tried the jambalaya but made it in my pressure cooker instead of the slow cooker. I reduced the liquids to offset this. It worked reasonably well but made a heck of a lot of food.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:20 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Shared my review on the blog along with the recipe for the vegan blueberry blintzes: https://tastespace.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... -giveaway/

(also a chance to win a copy of the book)