| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:29 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

It's coming out tomorrow!

I'm intrigued by this book but I haven't quite committed to buying it yet. Would love to hear your thoughts once the book is in your hands!

Post subject: Re: Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:48 pm 

Well, that didn't take long. I bought it already. I just looked at the recipe index on Amazon and bought it. Only $5.99 for the Kindle version. I have craved malai peda (saffron cream fudge) and pista kulfi (pistachio ice cream) for years, and if these recipes work, they'll be worth the price of the book alone.

Looks like a nice mix of traditional Indian dishes and some fusion dishes (seitan makhani, quinoa biryani, etc). I love that the recipes are from many different Indian regions. I'm Indian, and I don't like when cookbooks give only North Indian recipes.

I'll post more comments tomorrow when I get it!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:44 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I preordered this book and am getting excited. I'm especially happy about the balti recipe because when I lived in Rochester, NY, there was an Indian restaurant that made baltis and I loved the fusion of wine with Indian flavors. A lot of other recipes are enticing, and include things I haven't eaten since I went vegan, like Navratan Korma! Malai Kofta! Or things I've seen in restaurants but never had like the Shahi "Paneer"!

There are also dishes I've never heard of such as the spicy South Indian tofu scramble, the tempeh in onion sauce, and many others!

I really miss onion kulcha (haven't had it since I went vegan) so I wish there were more stuffed breads. Also, there are a lot of cauliflower recipes. But overall, this book looks wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 6:31 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I tested for this book and it is amazing. I generally don't like Indian desserts, so I skipped those, but I made a ton of other recipes.

The South Indian tofu scramble is awesome. It is actually the only tofu scramble I have ever liked, and I have made it three times so far.

There is a stuffed bread recipe that could easily be modified with different fillings. I have been thinking of using it to make kabuli naan since I moved away from the only restaurant I used to eat it in.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:07 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm assuming by the title and cover pic- that its an all Indian food based book?

(I really like her blog, which includes much more than just Indian food).

I'm not a huge fan of Indian food, but I do like it. Not sure if I really need any more recipes for curries, Indian breads, samosas etc.

I'd like to see her do a general book, with the recipes she does on her blog.

Tempted to pick this up, however as I'm sure it's a much more creative Indian book that what I assume it will be.

Nice to see some diversity in cookbook authors. I must admit the market is a bit flooded with "pretty girls" leading "clean lifestyles" and every other ingredient is: coconut oil, raw cocoa, cashews and kale.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:01 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

kidsdoc wrote:
Well, that didn't take long. I bought it already. I just looked at the recipe index on Amazon and bought it. Only $5.99 for the Kindle version. I have craved malai peda (saffron cream fudge) and pista kulfi (pistachio ice cream) for years, and if these recipes work, they'll be worth the price of the book alone.

Looks like a nice mix of traditional Indian dishes and some fusion dishes (seitan makhani, quinoa biryani, etc). I love that the recipes are from many different Indian regions. I'm Indian, and I don't like when cookbooks give only North Indian recipes.

I'll post more comments tomorrow when I get it!

Yay! There are some amazing recipes in the book! Hope you like them!
Also, please do let me know if there are issues in the Kindle version.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:02 am 

DEG wrote:
I tested for this book and it is amazing. I generally don't like Indian desserts, so I skipped those, but I made a ton of other recipes.

The South Indian tofu scramble is awesome. It is actually the only tofu scramble I have ever liked, and I have made it three times so far.

There is a stuffed bread recipe that could easily be modified with different fillings. I have been thinking of using it to make kabuli naan since I moved away from the only restaurant I used to eat it in.

xoxoxo!!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:08 am 

otherdimension wrote:
I'm assuming by the title and cover pic- that its an all Indian food based book?

(I really like her blog, which includes much more than just Indian food).

I'm not a huge fan of Indian food, but I do like it. Not sure if I really need any more recipes for curries, Indian breads, samosas etc.

I'd like to see her do a general book, with the recipes she does on her blog.

Tempted to pick this up, however as I'm sure it's a much more creative Indian book that what I assume it will be.

Nice to see some diversity in cookbook authors. I must admit the market is a bit flooded with "pretty girls" leading "clean lifestyles" and every other ingredient is: coconut oil, raw cocoa, cashews and kale.

Yes it is an Indian book with a bit of fusion recipes as well. There is more to Indian food than just curries and Samosas :) Please do look at the Contents which has the complete list of recipes. I think my first book had to be Indian because of my comfort level with Indian food. Maybe a general one next! Oh, and there is hardly any kale usage :) Also, see the book's blog tour to get an idea of some of the recipes! Hope you give it a try!

Thanks
Richa

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:16 am 

Thanks Richa!

Good work! Hope the book sells well for you and I think I will buy this, as I like your blog!

Thanks for the tip about not letting usual Indian food define what I think I know!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm definitely going to buy this. I have a few Indian cookbooks and I'm not bad at veganizing them but it'll be so nice to have a Indian cookbook without any pictures of eggs lurking around the corner.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:16 am 
BAD PASS

I looked at the table of contents and was a goner. Some things just can't wait until payday.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:21 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I saw the contents on the amazon page, and wow what a selection!! I think probably 50% of my bookmarked recipes are from the Vegan Richa website anyway and they've always worked out great so this definitely goes on my to-buy list.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:52 am 

I picked this up on Kindle. I can't wait to start cooking from it!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:25 pm 

I got my Kindle version! I just flipped through it, and it's just amazing. For those on the fence about buying another Indian cookbook (as I was): Do it! I've already bookmarked more than half of the recipes to try soon. What makes this book unique to me is that it has a lot of recipes I've personally found difficult to veganize from non-vegan Indian cookbooks, but it looks like Richa's done it! Specifically, the Dahi vada (black gram fritters in yogurt), malai peda (saffron cream fudge) and pista kulfi (pistachio ice cream).

The breakfast section looks incredible. I'll be making the Savory Pan-Fried French Toast (bread pakora), Spicy South Indian Tofu Scramble, and Savory Oats Hash (poha) soon.

My boyfriend is Assamese and it's rare to impossible to find Assamese recipes in Indian cookbooks. I'm going to make him the Assamese Greens and Potatoes!

The fusion dishes look very creative, particularly the Makhani Vegetable Pot Pie and the Spicy Red Lentil Cauliflower Potato Casserole. Will save these recipes for nights when I want Indian food but don't want to be chained to the stove.

I love Indian curries with tofu, tempeh, and seitan. The Butter Seitan Curry (seitan makhani) will be the first recipe I try from this section. Also intrigued by the Andhra-Style Tempeh Curry. I bet they'd be amazing with the Avocado naan.

I really bought this book for the dessert section though ;) I'm usually not a huge fan of Indian sweets, but I'm sad when I crave them occasionally and can't have them because they're not vegan. I'm so excited to try out this chapter!

betit19 wrote:

Richa, congrats to you on this beautiful and impressive cookbook!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:38 pm 

I got this book last week (I pre-ordered and it came early). The book is gorgeous and has lots and lots of great looking pictures. I love Indian food and have had great success with recipes from Richa's blog. In fact I rarely repeat recipes but there are a few recipes from her blog me and my husband have loved so much I have made them several times. I cannot wait to start cooking from this book and there are so many recipes I cannot wait to try.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:44 pm 

Just had a preview of this on Amazon!

Looks great and very easy!

Think I will buy and will be nice to have an all vegan Indian book in my collection.

Good work Richa!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:24 pm 
Hip Goiter

Has anyone used it yet who could comment on the difficulty level? Are there weeknight-friendly meals; are a lot time- and labor-intensive? Pantry-friendly? I just got Street Vegan so I will probably not be able to use another difficult book for a long time!

Laughfrodisiac
www.thefriendliestflour.com

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:28 pm 
Semen Strong

I just got mine, and I am so excited! I love Vegan Richa's blog, and find her recipes very accessible and easy to make and very pantry-friendly. Each of them has an estimate of prep time, active time and inactive time, and like Isa, she keeps them to under an hour in prep and active time.

I can't wait to make more of her dishes!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:54 am 

Tofulish wrote:
I just got mine, and I am so excited! I love Vegan Richa's blog, and find her recipes very accessible and easy to make and very pantry-friendly. Each of them has an estimate of prep time, active time and inactive time, and like Isa, she keeps them to under an hour in prep and active time.

I can't wait to make more of her dishes!

I am excited as well!!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:56 am 

kidsdoc wrote:
I got my Kindle version! I just flipped through it, and it's just amazing. For those on the fence about buying another Indian cookbook (as I was): Do it! I've already bookmarked more than half of the recipes to try soon. What makes this book unique to me is that it has a lot of recipes I've personally found difficult to veganize from non-vegan Indian cookbooks, but it looks like Richa's done it! Specifically, the Dahi vada (black gram fritters in yogurt), malai peda (saffron cream fudge) and pista kulfi (pistachio ice cream).

The breakfast section looks incredible. I'll be making the Savory Pan-Fried French Toast (bread pakora), Spicy South Indian Tofu Scramble, and Savory Oats Hash (poha) soon.

My boyfriend is Assamese and it's rare to impossible to find Assamese recipes in Indian cookbooks. I'm going to make him the Assamese Greens and Potatoes!

The fusion dishes look very creative, particularly the Makhani Vegetable Pot Pie and the Spicy Red Lentil Cauliflower Potato Casserole. Will save these recipes for nights when I want Indian food but don't want to be chained to the stove.

I love Indian curries with tofu, tempeh, and seitan. The Butter Seitan Curry (seitan makhani) will be the first recipe I try from this section. Also intrigued by the Andhra-Style Tempeh Curry. I bet they'd be amazing with the Avocado naan.

I really bought this book for the dessert section though ;) I'm usually not a huge fan of Indian sweets, but I'm sad when I crave them occasionally and can't have them because they're not vegan. I'm so excited to try out this chapter!

betit19 wrote:

Awesome!! Thank you for the Amazon Review too!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:57 am 

vixki wrote:
I saw the contents on the amazon page, and wow what a selection!! I think probably 50% of my bookmarked recipes are from the Vegan Richa website anyway and they've always worked out great so this definitely goes on my to-buy list.

Awesome!!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:34 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Just got my preordered Kindle book as well. Looks amazing, but I think I'm going to need a few more ingredients to really do this up right. Looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:32 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

otherdimension wrote:

This made me chuckle. The diversity is welcome and one of the reasons I preordered this cookbook.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:06 pm 
Semen Strong

Same here! I love that this is a Vegan Indian book by someone who is both Indian and vegan! And part of her proceeds go to help the animal charities that she has always featured on her blog. Vegan Richa really walks the walk, and I am so glad to have someone who is about compassion as well as just health.

And this book has so many easy, great recipes and no pointless filler ones. I seriously adore it. I can't wait to make more!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:04 pm 

kidsdoc wrote:

betit19 wrote:

try both the Malai Peda and Kesar Peda(variation of fudgy cardamom squares). They are both a different texture and you might one more than the other depending on your memories of peda :)