| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Oh She Glows Cookbook
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:00 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

While March 5th seems like a long time to wait for Angela's Oh She Glows cookbook to come out, if you have preordered, you can request her Bonus Recipe Bundle (PDF). Just complete the webform on her site and include the store and order number.

Oh She Glows Bonus Recipe Bundle - 10 additional recipes
http://ohsheglows.com/2014/01/28/the-bo ... e-is-here/

I just downloaded the Bundle and it is AMAZING ! The Party Hearty Cheese Ball looks perfect for the Superbowl.

Post subject: Re: Oh She Glows Cookbook
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:21 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Just ordered the bundle as well! That's really cool that she made this available for us. I'm particularly excited about the coconut bacon, peanut butter cup black bean brownies, and the eggnog-spiced cashew milk.

The other recipes in the bundle didn't really speak to me - I have enough recipes for lentil soup, roasted carrots, granola, green smoothies, chocolate pudding, and chocolate truffles.

There's a 2-day sample meal plan at the end of the bundle that showcases some recipes that will be in the actual cookbook. A lot of the recipes seem either very basic or are from the blog (green smoothies, chia pudding, kale chips, banana soft serve, coconut cream, chana masala, homemade rolos). These are supposed to be simple recipes from the book, so I'm hoping there will be more new/complex recipes in the actual cookbook.

I'm a HUGE fan of the blog and of Angela, and I've waiting for this cookbook for years! I feel bad that my first impressions based on the bundle seemed a little boring, but I sure hope I'm proven wrong when the real cookbook arrives.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

Padraigin wrote:

I just downloaded the Bundle and it is AMAZING ! The Party Hearty Cheese Ball looks perfect for the Superbowl.

Whoo hoo! Thank you. Can't deny a nice freebie. I like how she so kindly and sincerely replies to comments on her blog - seems like a real down-to-earth, caring person! And generous, with all the incredible recipes shared regularly (like so many vegan cooks/creators). Gotta show support for dedicated passionate work, for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:44 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I'm really excited for this book! But I don't know how to get the bundle since I don't want to order through Amazon...I like to support independent bookstores!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:22 am 

j-dub wrote:
I'm really excited for this book! But I don't know how to get the bundle since I don't want to order through Amazon...I like to support independent bookstores!

Good point. I try to support indepedent bookstores too.

The webform asks for the name of the store where you pre-ordered the book and the order number - from your receipt.

If the webform doesn't work, perhaps send Angela an email - email: angela [at] ohsheglows [dot] com explaning the situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:18 pm 

I made the Cheese Ball yesterday and it was fabulous in taste and texture. This is the first time I have used refined coconut oil and was suprised that it didn't have a coconut taste.

For the best texture, the ball shouldn't be left out at room temp for hours. I left a small sample on the counter for my after kitchen clean-up snack. The texture was definitely off and so much better chilled....say an hour out of the fridge.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:55 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

i want to look inside before i buy. i hope a preview gets up soon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:27 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

missmuffcake wrote:

Me too! I've been waiting impatiently.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:47 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Thanks for posting! I'm so excited for this book.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

Padraigin wrote:
I made the Cheese Ball yesterday and it was fabulous in taste and texture. This is the first time I have used refined coconut oil and was suprised that it didn't have a coconut taste.

For the best texture, the ball shouldn't be left out at room temp for hours. I left a small sample on the counter for my after kitchen clean-up snack. The texture was definitely off and so much better chilled....say an hour out of the fridge.

Amen to the cheese ball's fabulosity! Made the cheese ball for an omni Super Bowl party. Rave reviews all around (and I only had pecans for rolling - no pepitas or cranberries). Amazingly delicious with multi-grain crackers.

The weather was cool, and doors were open (Southern CA), so it held its shape and was fine several hours in. In the future, I'd halve the chilled ball so a) it will be easier to slice on a buffet, and b) I can keep the other half chilled and neat and tidy to refresh the dish later in the day. I actually doubled the recipe because it was simple to do so, and I'm enjoying cheese and crackers for myself at home (even better with a cold beer!).

Refined coconut oil is THE oil to use for cheese-making, specifically because its coconut flavor/scent has been removed: it's just a solid neutral fat. I was skeptical of the cheese ball, because I'm a big fan of cheeses from AVC and NDF, and haven't been so fond of other recipes/authors I've tried... but this one is a REAL keeper. So easy, so delicious.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:46 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

lobsteriffic wrote:
missmuffcake wrote:

Me too! I've been waiting impatiently.

I emailed Angela and the look inside feature won't be activated until March 4th(release day).

I made the parsley/sunflower seed pesto last night and had it over some pasta. It's delicious. Very bright and fresh tasting. Also made the green smoothie this morning(can never have too many recipes), and it may be my new go-to recipe. And the cashew milk is chilling in the fridge, but judging by the few sips I had before, I'm going to like it. I'm already envisioning drinking it cold with granola and warmed with some alcohol.

I want to make the cheese ball, but for fear of eating the entire thing myself, it's waiting until my brothers birthday in a few weeks. Glad to hear it is well received by omni's.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:21 pm 
Tofu Pup

Now I have to try the cheese ball. I made the granola and the coconut bacon - both were fantastic. I've never had coconut bacon before and it is so weirdly like bacon!! Texture and taste. It will be great on salads and just trying to envision all the things I can use it for. The granola was also a hit - I subbed dried cherries for the cranberries and didn't use the puffed quinoa - never seen this before.??

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:33 pm 

My book arrived today - from Chapters-Indigo (Canada). The photos and layout look beautiful. Can't wait to dive in and get cooking !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:51 pm 

Padraigin, I'm so jealous you already have your cookbook. I just looked at my amazon account again, and my estimated arrival is between the 11-14th.

There's a bit of a virtual cookbook tour going on now, with bloggers posting recipes/reviews of the book. So far I've found recipes for a chocolate-espresso torte, empowered noodle bowl, and walnut, avocado, pear salad with marinated portobello caps and red onion. Go here to find links to these recipes. I'd link individually but my phone battery is about gone.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:26 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

My Amazon status just changed to "shipping now" with arrival estimated on Tuesday. With the impending storm, that seems unlikely, but it would be nice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:53 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Shipped! Hoping the storm doesn't impact tomorrow's scheduled delivery.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:05 pm 

At the link I posted above, there are now recipes posted for Quick Chana Masala, Eat Your Greens detox soup, and Chakra Caesar Salad with Nutty Herb Croutons(I'm most excited to try this as I haven't been fully satisfied with any veggie Caesar I've tried).

Zinnia, my fingers are crossed for you. Weather be damned.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:50 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

This is a birthday present from my dogs (is that weird?)! I'm excited - I was hesitant to order, er, I mean request from my dogs, another cookbook, but I just love her blog recipes. In my mind I'm thinking these recipes will be well-suited to warming weather in the coming months. That is a completely unfounded idea, but her recipes just always seem so light and freshy and suited to summer.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:28 pm 
Who's Ted Leo?

aww doggy gifts!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

It's here! Oh my heck! it's gorgeous :) (I love the Canadian Cover :))

there are some recipes that are already available on the website (the chia bread - awesome, amazing, love it, salt and vinegar chickpeas, as well as the apple pie oatmeal - my go to on winter weather, lemon-tahini sauce (amazing), lightened up baked french fries (so easy and quick)). I am excited to finally try to glo bars (and more importantly how to create my own with her previous favours. I had always wanted to buy them but felt it too expensive, and then the bakery closed down, sad).

it's great. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:03 am 

Mine shipped! Supposed to be here Sat.

emmalv, nothing wrong with doggy gifts!

Matt at No Meat Athlete posted the Creamy Tomato Soup with Spiced Chickpeas and it looks delicious. A good creamy tomato soup is always good for me, though.

jc4, you can pop quinoa like you do popcorn on the stove(how-to) or you can buy it depending on where you live. I've found it at Whole Foods before and can double check the brand when I go shopping this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:47 pm 
Huffs Nooch

kidsdoc wrote:
I feel bad that my first impressions based on the bundle seemed a little boring, but I sure hope I'm proven wrong when the real cookbook arrives.

Fortunately, I stand corrected. This book is GORGEOUS and full of exciting new recipes! Can't wait to try:
Loaded savory oatmeal & lentil bowl
Grapefruit green tea
Life affirming warm nacho dip with spiced toasted pitas
Cream of tomato soup with roasted Italian chickpea croutons
Broccoli & cashew cheese quinoa burrito
Lentil-walnut loaf with balsamic-apple glaze
Salt & vinegar roasted chickpeas
Easy almond pulp granola

Already made:
Creamy vanilla almond milk - my go-to almond milk recipe. The best. ever.
Creamy avocado pasta - this is THE BEST quick weeknight dinner! So satisfying but easy!
Avocado cilantro cream sauce - had this on toast this morning, excellent breakfast
Effortless Vegan Overnight Oats - I pretty much have a variation of this every morning. I omit the chia seeds though, because I don't like the yogurt texture that it creates.

Can't wait to cook more from this!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:55 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

It's so pretty! I'm so excited!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:04 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I wrote a review of the book on my blog today with lots of pictures. Of the things I've made the cream of tomato soup with chickpea croutons was my favorite. I used to love cream of tomato soup but haven't made anything even resembling that since going vegan. It felt like such a return to an old friend having a hot bowl of it again. The Yolo's (vegan Rolo's) were also really simple to make and super tasty. (I cheated and melted the chocolate & coconut oil in the microwave. Microwave 30 seconds, stir, microwave 20 more seconds, and stir until creamy.)

On my immediate to-make list: salt & vinegar roasted chickpeas, taco fiesta potato crisps, and life affirming warm nacho dip. I'm also interested in trying the overnight oats, because I still haven't done that!

I can totally see me giving this cookbook as a gift in the future, because I think it would be really approachable for non-vegans. Plus, it's a beautiful book.

Lots of bloggers are doing giveaways for the book right now, including myself. (You can find mine at: http://cadryskitchen.com/2014/03/05/oh- ... -cookbook/ ) Angela has links to all of them on her blog.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:29 pm 
Nailed to the V

Angela verified that the basic glo bar recipe can be used to replicate all her previous glo bar bakery recipes. (just add more brown rice syrup if it's dry). so happy.

the avocado pasta is my favourite, i do it all the time. (thats the lemon basil avocado right?)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next