| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:54 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

There a new book called Plenty More coming out in September. The chapters are organised by cooking method which I don't think I'll find very useful but I'm sure they will be good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:33 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

The two potato vindaloo is tasty. It definitely gets better the longer it sits as the spices and sweetness really come out with time.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:43 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made the spinach and fava bean veggie burgers and found them underwhelming. The original recipe had an egg. I left that out and subbed a couple tablespoons of almond butter to act as a binder. Even after refrigerating, the burgers didn't hold up well in the pan, soaked up a ton of oil while frying, and then had a mushy texture that felt more fritter-y than burger-y to me. Maybe there's a better egg sub than the almond butter, but I doubt I'll make these again.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:10 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

doncherryfan wrote:
I made the spinach and fava bean veggie burgers and found them underwhelming. The original recipe had an egg. I left that out and subbed a couple tablespoons of almond butter to act as a binder. Even after refrigerating, the burgers didn't hold up well in the pan, soaked up a ton of oil while frying, and then had a mushy texture that felt more fritter-y than burger-y to me. Maybe there's a better egg sub than the almond butter, but I doubt I'll make these again.

If you ever change your mind, I recommend ground flax seeds blended with water in a blender until it forms a mixture as viscous as egg. Use 1 part flax seeds to 3 parts water. I think 1/4 cup of the blended mix (1 Tbsp. flax seeds and 3 Tbsp. water) is equivalent to one egg.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:17 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I like the vindaloo but it's not what I usually think of as vindaloo. It was just a bit too sweet, which can easily be fixed.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:28 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

The Plenty ebook is currently on sale for $2.99.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:08 pm 

I made the sweet potato cakes the other day. They were super simple - just steamed sweet potatoes mixed with scallions, soy sauce, salt and sugar plus a small amount of oil for pan-frying. But they were incredible!! I think this will be my new default recipe when I have too many sweet potatoes from my CSA.

I was also really pleased that the cakes didn't soak up a ton of oil while frying. I think I made my entire batch of ~8 cakes with 2 TBSP or so of oil.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:44 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i bought the kindle version of this cookbook the other day because it was on sale for 2.99 and i had $2 worth of amazon credits to use so i couldn't pass it up for 99 cents. i didnt realize it was a vegetarian cookbook.

can anyone recommend some really good vegan recipes from it or easily veganized recipes?
i dont have an actual kindle just the kindle app on my phone so it's not super easy to just flip through.

i saw several recipes that have goat cheese in it so im not sure how easily veganized that is

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:12 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

LisaPunk wrote:
i bought the kindle version of this cookbook the other day because it was on sale for 2.99 and i had $2 worth of amazon credits to use so i couldn't pass it up for 99 cents. i didnt realize it was a vegetarian cookbook.

can anyone recommend some really good vegan recipes from it or easily veganized recipes?
i dont have an actual kindle just the kindle app on my phone so it's not super easy to just flip through.

i saw several recipes that have goat cheese in it so im not sure how easily veganized that is

Hi Lisa, I made the same complaint on the Plenty More thread but it turns out that Plenty More, though also a vegetarian cookbook, is a lot more vegan friendly (Goat cheese can be veganized but it's annoying to have to do that. When I really want to, I use the vegan chevre recipe in Vegan Family Meals by Ann Gentry, since it's very good and doesn't require culturing). I haven't made anything from Plenty yet but maybe someone else will answer your question.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:47 pm 

LisaPunk wrote:

I've made a couple of good things from here. The sweet potato cakes (I've written about them in this thread I think) are really good and simple. The sauce they're served with is not vegan, but the actual cakes are. This is probably my favourite recipe in the book so far.

The saffron cauliflower was decent, but 1.5 tsp of saffron is a lot of saffron! I used up an entire packet on this recipe and I'm not sure it was worth it. If I try this again, I'll use just a teeny bit of saffron and maybe some turmeric for color. It is a vegan recipe, though.

The spiced red lentils with cucumber yogurt (I subbed soy yogurt) was good too although the recipe is pretty similar to a Madhur Jaffrey red lentil recipe I've been using for years.

The fava bean burgers were a bust for me - crumbly textured, soaked up a ton of oil, and just plain didn't taste good. I subbed almond butter for the egg that was in the recipe. I'm not sure if you'd have better luck subbing a flax egg .

I'm on the list to borrow Plenty More from my local library. Looking forward to seeing if that cookbook is more vegan-friendly than this one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've had good luck with just leaving out any dairy that the recipe calls for. Some of my favorites have been the roasted butternut squash with lime and green chile, and the quinoa salad with dried persian lime ( I used lime zest instead of dried lime and left out the feta). I also really love the burnt eggplant with tahini! I could eat that everyday.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:45 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

LisaPunk wrote:

The black pepper tofu is so so good.

I also second the sweet potato cakes. I really liked them.