| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mediterranean Harvest
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:57 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

http://www.amazon.com/Mediterranean-Harvest-Vegetarian-Recipes-Healthiest/dp/1605294284

This book has been around for a while and is vegetarian, not vegan, but due to its almost encyclopedic scope, I thought it was worth a mention for anyone who loves Mediterranean food as much as I do. I tend not to buy vegetarian cookbooks anymore, but this one is so good it was worth it. There's a chapter on egg and cheese recipes, but that's only 30 pages out of 400. There are also some egg-based tarts and stuff with cheese in, but so much of it is vegan or easy to veganise it is well worth it. I have quite a few Mediterranean cookbooks, both vegetarian and vegan, and there are recipes here that I've never come across, some unusual combinations, but mainly easy to source ingredients, with a strong emphasis on fresh produce. My only complaint: I have the ebook and the index doesn't link to the recipes and there are no recipe lists/links for each chapter. But it's a big book with lots of great recipes.

Profile WWW  

Post subject: Re: Mediterranean Harvest
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:37 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Thanks. I love Mediterranean cooking as well. I spent my childhood years in Israel so the flavors associated with the region are comfort food to me.

I downloaded a sample of Mediterranean Harvest and took a look at the table of contents. The stew chapter is the one most intriguing to me. I love to make stews for dinner, but I've bought a lot of cookbooks lately thanks to all the kindle sales, and I don't know how much I need another, especially one that is not vegan.

How time consuming are the recipes? Also, could you name some of your favorite recipes from this cookbook? It could help me make the purchasing decision.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:47 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I haven't cooked a lot from it yet, but lately eggplants have been really cheap so I've been making some eggplant dishes. What I love is that it's such a big, encyclopedic book that whatever ingredient you have, there are bound to be lots of recipes to choose from. I've made a very simple eggplant pilaf that was really quick to prepare and absolutely delicious, a Catalan ratatouille which is very slow cooked and rich and delicious. I served it over crispy polenta fingers with an aioli I veganised from the book - basically I just used my regular mayo recipe but used the flavour profile, it was a gorgeous colour with saffron in it. If you like stews there are quite a few to choose from. I'm going to do the Ikarian summer vegetable stew next, and I don't think I can resist the spicy potatoes with aioli much longer.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:16 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Karena wrote:
I haven't cooked a lot from it yet, but lately eggplants have been really cheap so I've been making some eggplant dishes. What I love is that it's such a big, encyclopedic book that whatever ingredient you have, there are bound to be lots of recipes to choose from. I've made a very simple eggplant pilaf that was really quick to prepare and absolutely delicious, a Catalan ratatouille which is very slow cooked and rich and delicious. I served it over crispy polenta fingers with an aioli I veganised from the book - basically I just used my regular mayo recipe but used the flavour profile, it was a gorgeous colour with saffron in it. If you like stews there are quite a few to choose from. I'm going to do the Ikarian summer vegetable stew next, and I don't think I can resist the spicy potatoes with aioli much longer.

Those sound really, really delicious. Have they generally been reasonably quick to make?

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]