| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What would you like to see in my new cookbook?
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:25 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Larisa wrote:
My mother, who loves AfR, says that she would like recipes for cream of mushroom soup and corn chowder.

What about a combo?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:36 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

fruitbat wrote:
If you have any say at all in layout, it's always a huuuuuge plus if one doesn't have to turn the page in the middle of a recipe. Either put them on one page or on a spread!

Yes. THIS.

Also the nudity. And mysterious/unusable stock photos.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:42 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I would love to see a mayo recipe, if possible. I miss Veganaise so much over here! They sell some egg free mayo in the health food stores here, but it's pretty expensive and in a tiny jar. The cashew miso mayo wasn't really for me (I think the miso I buy over here is really strong...I miss the mellow white stuff) and I've not had much luck with other recipes. I tried one with agar flakes and it went agar crazy on me pretty fast.

This is a pretty niche request, but in case you're up for experimenting with this!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bunniee wrote:
mrsbadmouth wrote:
tortes.

yes, a full page color photo of tortes would be nice.

Or you could go for the gold and have tortes and asparagus?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:20 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

pickledtreats wrote:
I would love to see a mayo recipe, if possible. I miss Veganaise so much over here!

Have you tried the recipe of the Belgian vegetarian society EVA? http://vimeo.com/2912027

I LOVE it. Basically a mixture of soy milk and oil, with some vinegar, mustard, salt and sweetener. Very high in fat, but so is veganaise from what I understand.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I was just thinking last night that it would be awesome to have a cookbook or series of cookbooks focusing on the individual seasons. Every time the weather changes I always think, "what the heck am I supposed to eat now?" like I have completely forgotten what I normally cook in that season. You could have Summer Vegan Cooking with a grilling section, salads, fruit desserts, etc., and Winter Vegan Cooking with casseroles, soups, stews, and that sort of thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:54 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

molly wrote:
I was just thinking last night that it would be awesome to have a cookbook or series of cookbooks focusing on the individual seasons. Every time the weather changes I always think, "what the heck am I supposed to eat now?" like I have completely forgotten what I normally cook in that season. You could have Summer Vegan Cooking with a grilling section, salads, fruit desserts, etc., and Winter Vegan Cooking with casseroles, soups, stews, and that sort of thing.

Check out The Blooming Platter, each chapter is divided into seasons!

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:57 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Isa's theme is already set for the book she's asking for suggestions for, but Blissful Bites also does the 'by season' chapter dividing.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 5:00 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

If the book is about whats in the pantry, what about a variation on pancake ideas? I mean think vegetable ones, fluffy ones, crepe ones, sweet ones etc

I always have loads of various flour in my cupboard to use up, but I try and get rid and then I go through a cake making, pizza making phase and I end up with more left over flour. All purpose, chickpea, wholemeal etc in my cupboard and always think about pancake type things - maybe a breakfast section...could extent to bread. I'd love a book that instead of me buying extra ingredients for all the lush recipes, the book made use of the things that lurk in the cupboard for the days I'm really too lazy to go shopping on. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:06 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

How about some recipes with fruit that aren't desserts? I really like fruit but I often don't know what to do with it other than make muffins or a dessert, or just eat it plain. Maybe that sounds silly, but I'm always looking for recipes with fruit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:47 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

AFR is my mostest favoritest most used cookbook ever.
the things i love in it are the foreign cuisines

more Thai curries would be great. anything i can dump a can of coconut milk into.

more tofu less tempeh!

definitely more giant salads.
maybe breakfast ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:33 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I love noodles so so much. Quick, easy, pantry-friendly noodly dishes would make me very happy.

Also, more ways to eat and cook cabbage. I love it through the winter cause it's cheap and nutritious and a good way to get greens in me.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:57 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Also, snacks! Somehow I've forgotten how to snack, and I don't want shitty processed stuff (except, you know, for when I do).

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:05 am 
Saggy Butt

I completely missed this before... oops!

I'd love some fool-proof dressings that can be mixed with stir-fried veggies, salad greens, etc. I have come to realize that that makes cooking easier and with oodles of dressings, you can never go wrong... miso-based, tahini-based, balsamic-based, red pepper-based, I am game!

I prefer one-pot meals of the International genre using beans/legumes as they are meant to be.. I try to avoid tofu/tempeh/TVP-based dishes.

I love meal-sized soups and have been looking for a great Moroccan harira if you are looking for specific requests.

More tasty beans recipes, in any form, would be great... Beans in dals, soups, salads, breakfast or dessert! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:59 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

saveur wrote:

I'd love some fool-proof dressings that can be mixed with stir-fried veggies, salad greens, etc. I have come to realize that that makes cooking easier and with oodles of dressings, you can never go wrong... miso-based, tahini-based, balsamic-based, red pepper-based, I am game!

This would make me super-psyched!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

irae vibration wrote:
I'm a newbie vegan and have got to say you're the ONLY chef whose recipies turn out fabulous everytime!!! *Really*
What I'm desperate for you to do is more fat free recipies. I'm waiting eagerly for F over K cookbook but the more the merrier!

The fat/oil free vegan world needs your touch - I was only wishing the other day that you could hit us with some more of these recipies.
Your recipies kick the asparagus off a lot of the vegan books and blogs out there - the fat free world needs your input!!!

Positive vibrations through awesome food! :-)

Can you just make most of the recipes as-is, but leave out the oil? Most fat-free recipes seem the same to me, except they have you saute with water. Unless we're talking desserts? I guess those can be tricky.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

j-dub wrote:
Also, snacks! Somehow I've forgotten how to snack, and I don't want shitty processed stuff (except, you know, for when I do).

Yes! I am trying to buy less processed snacks, but sometimes I can't think of anything that good for snacking.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:21 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I would like some recipes for appetizers that are served cold or at room temperature.

I am a big one for freezing my food for later consumption. Any freezer friendly recipes would be greatly appreicated!

Condiments! I have a real difficult time finding condiments I can have that are Vegan. A lot of the Vegan condiment receipes I find aren't basic recipes. They're some kind of wild herb infused thing, when all I want is something plain. Although, if you had a basic condiment receipe that we could "dress up," that would be good!

BTW, one of the things I LOVE about your books Isa is that your recipes do not rely on processed foods. With my food allergy (corn) using anything processed (for example, margarine) is difficult. It's nice not to have to deal with that mess. So, THANK YOU!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:55 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

cashew cheeses or cashew cheese sauces!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

Okay so first I would like to say I registered for this forum JUST to post to this thread! So I am enthusiastic about this haha! Second, AFR is my favorite cookbook in the whole wide world because the recipes are delicious and easy and I feel like I could eat pretty much anything in there and know that it's relatively healthy. Even if your new book isn't specifically low calorie like AFR was, I would love another book that has nutritional information for each recipe, and where I can feel good (healthwise) eating almost any of the recipes in the book.

Other things I would love:

- lunch-friendly recipes
- more tempeh, there's never enough tempeh
- savory/veggie-filled breakfasts
- less tree nuts please, or at least good ideas on how to sub? I've had to skip a lot of recipes from AFR and Vegan Brunch because they seemed so dependent on nuts (specifically cashews). Being veg w/nut allergies can be very tricky at times :(

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:13 pm 
Tofu Pup

i would like weight measurements. i mean....no problem with a cup of flour but a cup of chopped greens??? how much is that supposed to be. or other chopped stuff.
also "small" always confuses me. for example eggplants. i only have access to one kind of eggplant. and they are all the same size.

just saying it would be nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

krilin1 wrote:
Okay so first I would like to say I registered for this forum JUST to post to this thread! So I am enthusiastic about this haha! Second, AFR is my favorite cookbook in the whole wide world because the recipes are delicious and easy and I feel like I could eat pretty much anything in there and know that it's relatively healthy. Even if your new book isn't specifically low calorie like AFR was, I would love another book that has nutritional information for each recipe, and where I can feel good (healthwise) eating almost any of the recipes in the book.

Other things I would love:

- lunch-friendly recipes
- more tempeh, there's never enough tempeh
- savory/veggie-filled breakfasts
- less tree nuts please, or at least good ideas on how to sub? I've had to skip a lot of recipes from AFR and Vegan Brunch because they seemed so dependent on nuts (specifically cashews). Being veg w/nut allergies can be very tricky at times :(

Thanks!

Don't want to thread jack, but have you tried subbing sunflower seeds? I love the sunflower Mac recipe on the blog.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:06 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Yeah, weight measurements for greens would be great. I'm fine with "one bunch kale" when I'm buying it at the supermarket, but not so much when I'm getting it at the farmers market, where they have all different size bunches.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:40 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Yes to what Larisa and alguien said! One zucchini can be as big as my hand or as big as my arm, how do I know what you mean? When I was in Boston my friends got onion rings and they were huuuge, it got me thinking that maybe American veggies are bigger than what we normally get in Europe. So if a recipe calls for one onion, how do I know if you mean a "normal" sized one, or a humongous one like in Boston? The weight equivalent or ven the cups equivalent would be very very helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:11 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Oh yeah, I have that issue too sometimes. I think some American veggies are way bigger than the kind I buy here. I had the same issue in Japan. An approximate weight would be really useful.
And I still say "1 cup chopped mushrooms" etc is super hard to visualise when buying produce for a recipe!
Dry and liquid measurements are fine in cups though :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next