| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: What would you like to see in my new cookbook?
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 12:22 pm 
Chard Martyr

I didn't know slow-cookers were such a thing! You guys are making me feel like I need one.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:34 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

My favorite things to look for in cookbooks are nutritional info and dish pairings, whether it's just an entree and a side or an entire 4 course meal.

Recipes that would keep for a week would be great too, such that I could make a large batch on a weekend and have all my lunches or dinners prepared for the week. I find most cookbooks already write their recipes for 4-8 servings which is perfect, I just prefer stuff that won't go bad within a week until I get to it.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:21 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

vijita wrote:
I didn't know slow-cookers were such a thing! You guys are making me feel like I need one.

i usually only use mine for the thanksgiving soy+seitan roast. i would use it more if i thought about it though.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:06 pm 
Naked Under Apron

Some things that can be cooked on a grill would be nice, too.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:23 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I love my grill. Grilling makes me ridiculously happy, and I would love, use and enjoy grill recipes!

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:30 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Mars wrote:
I'd love a nanaimo bar recipe, and a Marscapone recipe.

YESSsss to a nanaimo bar recipe!

And the nutritional info; I also really like that about AFR.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 11:16 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Easy lunch recipes and menus are awesome. And party appetizers. I feel like the world is still missing a really solid regular old stuffed mushroom recipe that's vegan.

This is exciting!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:03 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

- some low-sodium recipes
- suggests on pairing different recipes that complement each other
- an appendix like in Veganomicon, so it's easy finding recipes in categories that aren't covered in the table of contents.
- This is more about presentation than content, but please have the person designing the book keep recipes on single pages or two-page spreads, and not splitting them up on a page turn. It's frustrating having sticky or wet hands and then having to turn a page back and forth because a recipe is broken up.
- Off-topic, but I'd love a book along the lines of 1000 vegan cooking tips. You've got tips sprinkled throughout all the books, but I'd love to see them and more collected together.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:06 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Oh oh oh I have one more: The name has to be at least as awesome as Veganomicon or Appetite For Reduction. They are the two best recipe book names I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:36 am 
Ninja Master

vijita wrote:

I know! I only ever used to use mine for cooking dried beans and it's now been relegated to the shed for a year! haha. I did buy the vegan slow cooker book though recently so I might have to dig the sucker out again.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:01 am 
Naked Under Apron

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
I love my grill. Grilling makes me ridiculously happy, and I would love, use and enjoy grill recipes!

samsies. grilling out is one of my favorites & any recipes for grilling i'd enjoy as well.

i too love AFR - not only for the nutritional information & all those vegetables, but because it's pretty damn gluten-free friendly, too. w00t!

i'm another one who's not that big on slow cooker recipes, but i'd love to see more recipes for sauces, salad dressings, dips, spreads, etc. - because, to me, they can be paired with so many different things - the possibilities are almost endless!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:23 am 
Chard Martyr

Yes! The sauces and mix and matching chapters in V'Con get the most use from me.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 9:29 am 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Mojo wrote:
- This is more about presentation than content, but please have the person designing the book keep recipes on single pages or two-page spreads, and not splitting them up on a page turn. It's frustrating having sticky or wet hands and then having to turn a page back and forth because a recipe is broken up.

That is the worst. Chop the first 3 ingredients and mix. Flip, ah that's what the first 3 ingredients are. Flip. Heat the oil. How much oil was that? Flip. A tablespoon. Flip. Add tomatoes through beans. What ingredients were listed in-between the tomatoes and beens? Flip. etc.
I was just making v'con crepes and getting really annoyed with all the flipping back and forth I had to do. Keeping recipes on one page, or two pages that face each other and keeping them off page turns would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:54 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Another vote for crockpot usage!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:00 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

There are multiple vegan crockpot books, and i'm pretty sure a new one is coming out this year.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:29 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

mrsbadmouth wrote:
There are multiple vegan crockpot books, and i'm pretty sure a new one is coming out this year.

Yes. Kathy Hester's "The Vegan Slow Cooker" came out in Oct 2011, and Robin Robertson's "Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker" comes out in Oct 2012. Might have a hard time drumming up enthusiasm from a publisher to get behind another book in such a close time frame. But I'd buy it. Every author has their own style and I love my slow cookers.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:34 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Mojo wrote:

That is the worst. Chop the first 3 ingredients and mix. Flip, ah that's what the first 3 ingredients are. Flip. Heat the oil. How much oil was that? Flip. A tablespoon. Flip. Add tomatoes through beans. What ingredients were listed in-between the tomatoes and beens? Flip. etc.
I was just making v'con crepes and getting really annoyed with all the flipping back and forth I had to do. Keeping recipes on one page, or two pages that face each other and keeping them off page turns would be greatly appreciated.

oh god yes. i made the omelets last week, and had to keep doing the same thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 2:08 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Please, please have some recipes with beans as the main protein. Grain salad/bowl recipes would also be really great.

thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:25 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Blue Cheese Dressing. This remains the holy grail of my vegan life.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:27 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Book Luster wrote:
Blue Cheese Dressing. This remains the holy grail of my vegan life.

have you tried preserved tofu (see also the "why did i buy this ingredient" thread)?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:32 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Hm, not sure what you mean by preserved tofu? I've used marinated tofu but there's nothing blue-cheesy about that. I'm off to check the other thread though...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:26 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Another non-food one: please, please, please provide a guide to what you mean when you say "a cup of", including how tightly its packed and so on, or give a metric equivalent. We don't use cups in cooking in the UK to nearly the same extent (we measure solids by weight) and it's very confusing for first-timers. I had to google it, which I know might sound stupid, but it's true. In US-only versions of the book, that's fine, but in my UK-bought Veganomicon there are no measurements that are actually in use in the UK.

As a side note, I have a localised Sarah Kramer's How it all Vegan and some of the conversions must be wrong. One thing I made was so bad that I emailed her asking if I'd got it wrong or the conversion was wrong or something. She sent me the loveliest email ever saying that she doesn't really remember that recipe and hadn't made it for years and sorry if it tasted funky and that she hopes I have better success with the rest of it. Lovely woman.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:08 am 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Gulliver, I run into the same problems over here (Netherlands) and two things have helped me immeasurably: 1) a Pyrex measuring cup with both metric and imperial measurements. They sell them here at pretty much any place that sells kitchenwares, including budget department stores, so you should be able to find them in the UK. Plus they're available online. 2) this online conversion website can convert just about any measure you can think of, including weight to volume (and vice versa).

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:49 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Book Luster wrote:
Hm, not sure what you mean by preserved tofu? I've used marinated tofu but there's nothing blue-cheesy about that. I'm off to check the other thread though...

I think Torque means this! I've heard it called stinky tofu, too, although apparently that can be a different dish. It smells and tastes very cheesy to me (as in stinky cheese, not pizza cheese)

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 6:45 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mojo wrote:

Yes. Please, beg the publishers for this, it makes life so much easier, especially on complex recipes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next