| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Betty Goes Vegan
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:03 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

otherdimension wrote:
I sorta new what I was in for when I bought this, but I quickly sold it as none of the recipes appealed to me.

Yeah its a fun, kitcsh novelty type read, but it's bascially just vegan junk food (of which there already is a book).

Give me Appetite For Reduction or Veganomicon anyday over this junk. Not recommended.

I dislike the term junk food because I feel like it infers a criticism of eating a certain type of food, but even so I wasn't aware that we only need one of any particular type of cookbook.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:54 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We made the corned beef and cabbage last night. It was really different and tasty. The whole spices were a little awkward to eat around, and I think it needed more "beef." We used a pound of seitan (a third of a recipe that supposed to make 3 pounds, anyway) instead of the 9 oz package of Gardein, and kept running back to add more to our plate, because it wasn't quite enough with the vegetables. I'd probably just use two pounds next time. Anyway, all that aside, the marinade for the seitan was awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:07 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

creep wrote:
The whole spices were a little awkward to eat around ...

For next time, you could put the spices in a tea ball, wrap them in a little cheesecloth bundle, or put them between two pieces of celery tied together (a few spices might escape the open ends, but most should stay inside).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:03 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's a pickling spice mix, so most of them are perfectly edible, but there are whole nutmegs and black pepper in there too. I think otherwise the intention is that it's pretty strongly spiced, and you're supposed to eat them. Not sure if you'd get the same amount of flavor removing them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:25 pm 

creep wrote:
It's a pickling spice mix, so most of them are perfectly edible, but there are whole nutmegs and black pepper in there too. I think otherwise the intention is that it's pretty strongly spiced, and you're supposed to eat them. Not sure if you'd get the same amount of flavor removing them.

Well, you remove the bundle after the cooking is completed, so the flavour is still there. It simply eliminates the need to crunch down or pick around the spices. Normally, I think, if the intention is to consume the spices as part of the recipe, then ground spices are used because they will disappear into the dish and be more palatable.

I'm curious ... does the recipe not address this?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:45 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Nope.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:49 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

otherdimension wrote:

Give me Appetite For Reduction or Veganomicon anyday over this junk. Not recommended.

I definitely would not call it "junk." Yes, it used pre-made meats and cheeses, but other than that the recipes are from-scratch. I's a unique cookbook with original, creative meals.

I LOVE the chicken from the Baked Vegan Chicken and Easy Waffles. My first ever vegan or non-vegan chicken and waffles, and it truly made me regret being kinda sketched out by the chicken-waffle combo all these years. The waffles are your standard waffle, nothing too special, but the chicken is awesome. I usually just use flour in place of Bisquick in the breading, and put my vegan chicken strips on sammichs, salads, or just snack on them plain. I just ate them in a sammich with mayo and pickled green tomatoes.

I have found a lot of parts of recipes in this cookbook that i keep going back too. You know, like the black pepper tofu or the above chicken. They were awesome in the recipe, but so good i keep making them again and again to put in other things.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:50 am 

I made the Spiced Apple Waffles (p.39) for lunch today. The recipe called for only 2T of applesauce as the apple component, the flavour of which I thought would get completely lost in the 2c of whole wheat flour. So I used all of a single-serving applesauce cup and mixed it in with the liquid. The waffles didn't really taste all that apple-y, but the extra applesauce did make them very light and fluffy! Also, the recipe needed more liquid than called for to obtain a proper waffle batter consistency. I just kept adding until it looked right. After the tweaking, I got pretty good waffles, so I'm happy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:31 pm 
Chard Martyr

My mom and I made the mini pot roast things. So good! (but anything with puff pastry is pretty awesome)
I felt like it used a lot of oil but maybe I just typically don't use a lot when I cook my own stuff. Definitely something we may make again, but possibly add more veggies.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:24 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I forgot I was going to try one of the Tofurky roasts and already bought Turkey-less mini roasts from TJ's. D'oh! ):

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:24 pm 
Nailed to the V

i keep flitting to "do i want to get this" (even though I can't get most of the stuff they use) and i can modify, or does it stay in the good book idea, but keep it in the store?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:14 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Do you all have a standard beef style and chicken style seitan recipe that goes with the stuff in this book? I got it for x-mas and want to make a lot of the dishes, but its not in my budget to buy gardien or other premade fake meats except for once in a while. Given that this is a weeknight friendly cookbook, I'd rather prepare a lot of seitan in advance to use in the recipes here, so which ones are all purpose good recipes that you all use for this book?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:36 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

daisysunshine wrote:
i keep flitting to "do i want to get this" (even though I can't get most of the stuff they use) and i can modify, or does it stay in the good book idea, but keep it in the store?

There will still be a ton of stuff you can make, even with no faux meats, but as long as you have access to a faux chicken and beef, or just a seitan, you're pretty much good to go.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:23 am 

My own opinion, as someone who owns the book, is that you can use your own favourite beefy/chickeny seitan, either storebought or homemade. And you will probably enjoy the recipes more because you are using something that you already know you like. I can actually buy Gardein here (surprise, surprise), but if I choose to go with a ready-made product, I will be more likely to buy what I can get the cheapest (because I'm poor!). So I do have the tendency to sub different brands of 'meats' according to the price factor, but it doesn't really seem to make much of a difference. Use what you like best!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:16 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Meggs wrote:
My mom and I made the mini pot roast things. So good! (but anything with puff pastry is pretty awesome)
I felt like it used a lot of oil but maybe I just typically don't use a lot when I cook my own stuff. Definitely something we may make again, but possibly add more veggies.

I made it too, and I doubled the veggies. 1/4 cup sliced mushroom is about 1 mushroom, 1/4 cup green beans was silly too, more veggies was better and just as beefy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:31 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I feel like I should weigh in some positive feedback for the cookbook! While there are a lot of specific faux meat and cheese replacements used in the recipes, I substitute Gardein scallopeni for whatever it called for - also tofu and tempeh, to make it cheaper/more versatile. Some of our favorites are the Buffalo Tofu Steaks, Fajita marinade, Cheezy Sauce, Scalloped Potatoes/Kale/Bacon, and Beefless Stew.

Plus it's such a fun book to read! It's certainly not the place to go for veggie-centric recipes, but if you approach it with an open mind - or for an easy or semi-junky meal, then it's a winner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:30 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Yeah. . . Take the brands with a grain of salt, if you ask me. Cheeze can be omitted, seitan can be substituted for Gardein or Match, etc. The focus is on the flavors. . . The Shannons worked hard to ensure the cookbook wasn't basically omni-food with substitutions.

The dessert recipes are divine and worth the cost alone, if you ask me. Mmm. . . maple pumpkin pie. . .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:33 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Vegan mock meat lover's pasta casserole is to die for!! I was so sad when I ran out.

Made the chicken and wild rice soup when I was sick, subbing pasta for rice as suggested. Perrrrrfect comfort food on a cold icky day.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:25 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I finally got ahold of Match chicken and am so excited to try the wings again! Hot wings are my boos favorite, so i have been trying to make the best vegan version EVER. I have high hopes for this one.
I love reading through this book. I agree that it is really fun!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:37 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

The white chili (no fake meat) is delicious, but needs some tweaking. Mine was way too watery before I added more beans and veggies. I would not recommend this book to beginner cooks, you need to know how to tweak, but I still like it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:32 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So not from the book but the blog I made the Loaded Potato Soup. Goddamn, I loved it, the recipe was really really easy. Like so easy I didn't think I should bother, but it reminded me exactly of baked potato soup. I used the wayfair bacon bit on top and it was delicious.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:17 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I love the aesthetics and concept of this book. Sadly I am not a fan of fake meats or fake cheese etc. It's too heavily based on that. Plus I don't live in the USA so I cannot find most of the things it talks about. Really disappointed. I loved the blog!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:14 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

SwissMiss wrote:
I love the aesthetics and concept of this book. Sadly I am not a fan of fake meats or fake cheese etc. It's too heavily based on that. Plus I don't live in the USA so I cannot find most of the things it talks about. Really disappointed. I loved the blog!

So many recipes either don't have those things or could easily be subbed with another protein. But yeah, that's basically the premise of the book, soooo...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:00 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i got this book from the library and was thinking about making the green bean and leek casserole but i dont want to use canned beans. i assume for using fresh beans i would use the same amount but would you blanch them first???

have people had good luck with the dessert recipes?

i was flipping through the book and to be honest it's not really my thing. nothing wrong with using the processed veggie meats it's just how i normally cook and ive never heard of most of the brands they mention. THEN i saw all the dessert recipes. i may have to get the book just for those.

i might make the limoncello bundt cake this weekend if i have time

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LisaPunk wrote:
i got this book from the library and was thinking about making the green bean and leek casserole but i dont want to use canned beans. i assume for using fresh beans i would use the same amount but would you blanch them first???

have people had good luck with the dessert recipes?

i was flipping through the book and to be honest it's not really my thing. nothing wrong with using the processed veggie meats it's just how i normally cook and ive never heard of most of the brands they mention. THEN i saw all the dessert recipes. i may have to get the book just for those.

i might make the limoncello bundt cake this weekend if i have time

You'd probably still want to fully cook the beans first, because they can take a solid hour or two, depending on the type and how old they are. If I want to use dried beans instead of fresh, I cook them separately and divide them into 1.5-2 cup containers (the equivalent of a can).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next