| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Betty Goes Vegan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Answer from Annie about the pink salt.

Quote:
Yeah - I've gotten a few emails about the pink salt. Basically the explanation is that the book is an account/memoir of a sorts of our cooking project. Back in 2009, Dan and I got this gourmet salt set as a wedding present and fell in love with pink salt. We think it compliments vegetables the best while also bringing out the "coffee-ish" flavors in chocolate and doesn't over power vanilla. We also found we didn't have to use as much to add a savory highlight to a dish so we've been using it ever since. We have a grinder from Trader Joe's that was about $3. When we were working with the recipe testers and editor on the book - they both agreed that we should keep the ingredients specific when we could to keep the integrity of the project because of the memoir aspect of the book. I regret that this wasn't more clearly explained in the book.

Really though you can use regular sea salt in any of those recipes and it won't be that much different.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

lavawitch wrote:
I want to try the Texas macaroni bowl this week. It's black beans, kidney bean, garbanzos, beer, macaroni, corn, spices etc. and the green lentil a d leek shepherd pie. Just basic produce and groceries in that too.

Desserts: on my short list for when baking ban is lifted

Neologism cookies (chocolate, cherry, coconut)
Russian peppermint tea cakes
Butterscotch brownies
Apricot cookies with dark chocolate drizzle
Mojito bars
Whole wheat sunflower herb bread
Mustard filled soft pretzel bites
(THey have a DIY his quick recipe to use in anything that calls for bisque I)
apple churro
Homer Simpson inspired cherry glazed donut
Strawberry shortcake donuts
Pumpkin spice donut
(Simeon else try the bacon beer donuts first)
Yellow cake donuts
Peach Melba turnovers
Iron coffee whoopie pies
German chocolate whoopie pies , heck, all 7 whoopie pies
Orange ginger pound cake
Banana split bunt cake
Mint chocolate chip cheesecake(this does use tofutti products)
Banana creme brûlée
Earl grey tea tart

The dessert section is really making me happy. The recipes are definitely not the same old collection. There are also 9 cupcakes, a boatload of frostings and lots of pie.

I think I'm sold! Especially by this -> Homer Simpson inspired cherry glazed donut! And I need to know more about whoopie pies, macaroons are the "thing" here at the moment. I need a "thing" I can have. :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:59 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

See, now the pink salt is sweet/cute. That should definitely have made it into the book!

I know pink salt isn't expensive: Costco sells giant grinders of it for $3.

I forgot to mention that the donuts are a mixture of yeasted/fried and baked recipes.

Whoopie pies are cookie sandwiches filled with a cream or frosting kind of thing. The cookie art is usually a little soft/spongy, but not like cake. They call for a whoopie pie pan, but you can make them without. The whoopie pies in Hannah Kamimsky's first book were good, but hard to keep the cookies from spreading too much.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:55 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

i plan on making the Mexican meatloaf - i think serving it with red rice would be a great side...the boyfriend is not sold on it. i am like whatever. i need to try to sub out all of the onion for onion powder though...the recipe calls for red onion & onion powder.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

After looking through this book, I'm actually REALLY excited about it. There are a lot of great sounding recipes and it seems like if you don't have access to a specific vegan product, you can sub your favorite seitan or whatever cheese you prefer. The only thing I could really see being a problem is when the May Wah shrimp balls are called for (which isn't like a majority of the recipes by any stretch), since I don't know how hard those are to find, but I know they don't carry them at my Sprouts or any of the megamarts around here. They might have them at the Asian grocery store, but last time I went there I don't remember them having a wealth of frozen vegan products. But I'm happy they have those recipes in the book because like others mentioned, if you DO have access to them, you might be wondering what the heck you could do with them!

Tonight, I'm making the fresh lemon asparagus soup and the MVP avocado sandwich for dinner. The soup only calls for daiya or vegan parm as a topping, and the sandwich uses daiya or tofutti slices melted on the bread, but I'm sure the sandwich would be really good even without that, since bread toasted with vinaigrette in a sammich is probably one of my favorite things ever.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

So today I made the Fettuccine Alfredo. It was super easy to make the sauce in my Vitamix, it smelled amazing, and it was creamy and tasty. However, it doesn't make good leftovers. If you don't serve it immediately, the cannellini beans seem to dry out the sauce and give it a slightly grainy thickness. Even when heated up, the noodles still stick together like glue. Such a shame, considering how good the dish was initially.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:54 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Fee wrote:
I think I'm gonna get it. I like gardein and daiya and sometimes want to branch off from my usual uses of them. I used to really reject the idea of a cookbook that uses store-bought substitutes, but now I just need new and refreshing ways to use those subs.

Yeah, this is how I feel. There are so many options that are available almost everywhere now - Daiya and Gardein definitely get into a lot of chain stores, even in smaller towns. I don't know if they're marketing it as a book to help you figure out those vegan pre-made foods, but they should.

beethecookie wrote:
So today I made the Fettuccine Alfredo. It was super easy to make the sauce in my Vitamix, it smelled amazing, and it was creamy and tasty. However, it doesn't make good leftovers. If you don't serve it immediately, the cannellini beans seem to dry out the sauce and give it a slightly grainy thickness. Even when heated up, the noodles still stick together like glue. Such a shame, considering how good the dish was initially.

I find this happens with most creamy sauces, as they cool down they solidify. You can try adding in a little non-dairy milk before you reheat it.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

The blog butternut Alfredo reheats nicely enough, but I've had the same trouble with most Alfredo recipes.

The best way I've found is to reheat it in the saucepan, noodles and all, on low for a few minutes, slowly adding more milk. It's never as good as new, but usually tasty enough.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks for the reheating tips, guys! I will be adding more milk to my leftovers tomorrow and heating on low.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

so excited, this book is on its way to me, i'll be the first one to check it out!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:29 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

My partner and I both LOVED the MVP sandwich. He's not much for food in general, and usually is very wary of vegan subs, but he didn't even flinch or ask about the melted daiya. Success!

The fresh lemon and asparagus soup was pretty good, but not really what I was expecting. It was very light and springy tasting, though! The celery was still a bit crispy for my liking after the 5 minute simmer time, so next time I'll probably cook it a bit longer before stirring in the asparagus/bean puree.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:12 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My alfredo reheating trick is just adding a splash of water and heating it (covered) in the microwave in whatever container it's already in. Works like a charm, and it's easier than dirtying a pan.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:06 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

My copy arrived yesterday so here are some thoughts from a non US point of view.

I knew what I'd be getting when I ordered this book, but perhaps not quite the scale of how much brand name store bought stuff there is. I'm pretty lucky in that when I've spent time staying with friends in Seattle they've indulged my desires to try lots of different meats and cheeses, so I know roughly what the tastes and textures are like, so I have an idea what to sub. There are still lots in the book I wouldn't have a clue how to sub though, because I have no idea what the texture of say, Match Meat is like. With the 'Daiya or your favourite cheese' thing, it's a bit odd because they all melt, stretch and taste so differently. It's kind of like if you subbed feta for brie in a non vegan recipe, you might like the taste of feta better but the recipe wouldn't be anything like the original.

Having said all that, i like the book a lot. It is certainly full of actual food and I hate that people score it low on Amazon for being what it is. I enjoy the stories, i like her writing style, I like a book I can read in bed. I will probably use the ideas in it more than following the recipes strictly (I'm normally a strict follower). It will never get into my top 10 vegan cookbooks in either ones I use or ones I aim to use, but I'm glad I got it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:19 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

The thing about Match meats is that they're hard to find in the U.S., too. Mostly you order them online from a vegan grocery store, unless you're fortunate enough to live near the one of a handful of vegan stores. I think it's interesting that they focused on that brand so much more than more readily available brands like Gimme Lean and Sophie's Kitchen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:24 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

mollyjade wrote:
The thing about Match meats is that they're hard to find in the U.S., too. Mostly you order them online from a vegan grocery store, unless you're fortunate enough to live near the one of a handful of vegan stores. I think it's interesting that they focused on that brand so much more than more readily available brands like Gimme Lean and Sophie's Kitchen.

Well I was really just using that as an example. I have tried Gimme Lean stuff once, 2 types, but probably a lot of people who aren't from the US would have. I've never tried Sophie's Kitchen. I've tried some Tofurkey sausages and slices, some Field Roast, and one type of Gardein. Those sorts of flavours and textures are so different from meats I can buy here, that the dishes will be totally different, but at least I'll have some idea of what they are aiming for in some of the recipes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:26 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I agree. I mostly meant that few people will be able to use the book exactly as written.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:28 am 
WRETCHED

Even Sophie's Kitchen is rare here. I've seen it in 1 grocery store. Match meats though I've never seen in any regular store and I've never even seen it at the local vegan store but looks like they do show it on their website and I haven't been there in a few months.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:50 pm 
Nailed to the V

I guess I am one of the fortunate few. Match is based out of St. Louis, which I live just outside of, so I actually see Match Meats in my local regular grocery store and the Whole Foods. Problem is, they're so dang expensive! I've never bought any because most packages are like 10 bucks for a pound of meat. They have a stuffed roast that I'd be willing to try, because you'd get more bang for your buck. However, I am able to order Match meats as a menu item in some restaurants downtown, and it really is one of the most authentic meat substitutes I've ever had. It's very good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

I finally made something, the Peking Tofurky. It was really good, I'll definitely use some variation of it again.

That saying It made a LOT of rice, more than I needed, so I made half, and it turned out too sticky rather than 'fried' but that was my problem, I can never get my jasmine rice to not stick, even if I cut back on the water. Next time I probably wouldn't bother with scooping out the tofurky stuffing and mixing it with the rest, the cavity was really small in the one I had, and it was kind of messy to re-stuff it. I will admit to eating probably a serving of the rice while I was waiting for the roast to finish, just a forkfull at a time, it was pretty good. I didn't have any 'drumstick' type meat so I left that out, though I'm sure I could have thrown in a couple of Gardein cutlets. I also only made half the marinade and it was plenty. There are a lot of shortcuts I may take next time I make it, maybe cutlets only and not even the tofurky.

I think my problem with wanting to cook from the book is I'm not in the mood to cook lately, and most that I want to try have a lot more steps than I want to do right now.

Next, Corned Beefless Brisket and Cabbage for St. Patty's Day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the Spicy Eggless Salad Sandwiches, or rather the filling, tonight and although it's very tasty (and now possibly one of my favorite tofu salads), it's not at all spicy. I guess "seasoned" would be a more appropriate word to use, since it doesn't have anything spicy in it. I used the store brand extra firm tofu they sell at Sprouts, which comes in a 12 oz package, and I really felt that the salad was too dry, so I ended up adding probably 3 or so more tablespoons of vegenaise. The recipe calls for a 16 oz pkg of tofu, so I really don't see how 1/3 cup of mayo would bind all that together. Other than that, though, it was really good and I enjoyed the hint of noochiness!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:13 am 
Inflexitarian

beethecookie wrote:
I guess I am one of the fortunate few. Match is based out of St. Louis, which I live just outside of, so I actually see Match Meats in my local regular grocery store and the Whole Foods. Problem is, they're so dang expensive! I've never bought any because most packages are like 10 bucks for a pound of meat. They have a stuffed roast that I'd be willing to try, because you'd get more bang for your buck. However, I am able to order Match meats as a menu item in some restaurants downtown, and it really is one of the most authentic meat substitutes I've ever had. It's very good.

I had a match meat chicken sandwich at a restaurant in St. Louis, and I could barely enjoy it because I was sure it was chicken. I made our poor waitress come back and promise it was vegetarian. That stuff is awesome!

However, I'm now just a couple states over in Indiana, and I can't get match meats anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:39 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Gimme Lean isn't available around here, but I was really excited to have the chance to try it once when I was on the East Coast. The stuff tasted like plastic. Horrible. Yuck.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the Corned Beefless Brisket and Cabbage, it was okay but turned out too salty, my fault totally. I was in a hurry and didn't read instructions clearly so put too much Braggs into the marinade. I think the flavor of the Gardein overpowered the marinade anyway, so maybe next time a different type of "beef". I usually do seitan in pickling spices, so I'll do just a regular seitan cooked this way next time to try it out. My house smells like St. Patty's day though!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:30 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I've had a chance to flip through this book from the library, it is huge but organized quite well. I know it's already been said, but the one thing that bothers me a bit about the book is too many recipes that rely on store-bought fake meats. I feel this may give the impression that being vegan and going vegan grocery shopping is expensive and this may discourage them.

Still, for what the authors set out to do, veganizing that big red betty crocker cookbook, they did the job well. I just wish they had an appendix or something to teach new or seasoned vegans make their own fake meats at home. If this is someone's first vegan cookbook they might not know how to make their own seitan, etc...

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:16 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

The tofu fried eggs are what attracted me to this book and I finally made them yesterday morning. I even bought a flavor injector thingy because I was making a fancy birthday breakfast for my husband and I have a tendency to get a little overly ambitious with food. I don't know if I totally missed something, I have a feeling I may have gone astray during the step where you are supposed to "rock the tofu back and forth" to create space for the "yolk," but filling them was a total fail for me. Every single one burst the instant I started injecting the cheesy sauce, even though I tried to be super careful and everything. But, I fried the tofu up anyway and we poured the sauce over the top and they were really tasty you guys. They also saved really well. I had one for breakfast this morning with some toast and it was awesome and kept me full for so long.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next