| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Betty Goes Vegan
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:32 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i cooked several recipes from this book during my time with it from the library. overall it has won me over. i dont do a lot of cooking with processed meats/cheeses but every once in awhile it's good and the desserts alone i think might make me buy it. here is my quick reviews of what i made:

limoncello bundt cake: YUM!!!!!!!!! i used about half the amount of limoncello it calls for in the icing because it has such a strong boozy flavor and subbed in lemon juice for the remainder. came out really moist and really yummy

sesame vegan chicken: another yum!! really good. making this one for dinner again tomorrow

buffalo tofu steaks: these were good. my husband really loves buffalo flavored things and this was the first recipe i came across that wasnt just hot sauce and butter. it was pretty good. buffalo isnt really my thing but i would make them again for him. i did not make the ranch dressing to go with it though.

green bean and leek casserole: SO GOOD! i used fresh green beans and just lightly steamed them so they were almost done. the only thign about this recipe was it says something about a "small" casserole pan but my casserole was ginormous. it didnt even all fit in my big casserole pan.

brown sugar pumpkin cookies-these were really yummy but mine came out almost raw. i should have left them in longer.

texas macaroni bowls: this was super quick and easy to make. my husband liked it. nothing crazy good but easy and yummy

avocado and tequila steakless tacos: these were good and i made the tomatillo salsa that went with it but both me and my husband thought it was unnecessary. if i made it again i would forgo that and use whatever salsa we usually use. it also made a TON of salsa AND i even halved the recipe and it was still a ton. the tacos themselves were yummy. the avocado mixture was good but had a ton of lime juice in it. i would just use less lime.

snickerdoodles: these are VERY yummy. i made them last night and already had like 3 today. the only thign i would say is they need more moisture. the batter seemed very dry though i was able to keep the balls together but they do fall apart when you bite into them. the only moisture in them other than the butter/shortening is apple sauce. needs like some soy milk or oil or something.

i have to see when it's due back at the library and i might make one or two more things.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

it is funny how much i have looked at this book, didn't buy it, looked at it again, didn't buy it, flipped through it, was kinda "ehhh" (like - since i won't be able to get the vegan scallops and shrimp and stuff - i don't know how to replace that), i talked myself out of it, but it was one of those books that you know that you simply can't say no too. sooo it's here. and i can't wait to play with Betty.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:42 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

daisysunshine wrote:
it is funny how much i have looked at this book, didn't buy it, looked at it again, didn't buy it, flipped through it, was kinda "ehhh" (like - since i won't be able to get the vegan scallops and shrimp and stuff - i don't know how to replace that), i talked myself out of it, but it was one of those books that you know that you simply can't say no too. sooo it's here. and i can't wait to play with Betty.

I have decided that the closest I can get to vegan shellfish is mushrooms. Not that that is terribly helpful but I find a lot of omni dishes make sense to me with mushrooms instead of shrimp or scallops.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 pm 
Nailed to the V

Moon wrote:
daisysunshine wrote:

I have decided that the closest I can get to vegan shellfish is mushrooms. Not that that is terribly helpful but I find a lot of omni dishes make sense to me with mushrooms instead of shrimp or scallops.

thanks! i'll put that in a sticky note in the book! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11