| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Post subject: Re: Betty Goes Vegan
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:32 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i cooked several recipes from this book during my time with it from the library. overall it has won me over. i dont do a lot of cooking with processed meats/cheeses but every once in awhile it's good and the desserts alone i think might make me buy it. here is my quick reviews of what i made:

limoncello bundt cake: YUM!!!!!!!!! i used about half the amount of limoncello it calls for in the icing because it has such a strong boozy flavor and subbed in lemon juice for the remainder. came out really moist and really yummy

sesame vegan chicken: another yum!! really good. making this one for dinner again tomorrow

buffalo tofu steaks: these were good. my husband really loves buffalo flavored things and this was the first recipe i came across that wasnt just hot sauce and butter. it was pretty good. buffalo isnt really my thing but i would make them again for him. i did not make the ranch dressing to go with it though.

green bean and leek casserole: SO GOOD! i used fresh green beans and just lightly steamed them so they were almost done. the only thign about this recipe was it says something about a "small" casserole pan but my casserole was ginormous. it didnt even all fit in my big casserole pan.

brown sugar pumpkin cookies-these were really yummy but mine came out almost raw. i should have left them in longer.

texas macaroni bowls: this was super quick and easy to make. my husband liked it. nothing crazy good but easy and yummy

avocado and tequila steakless tacos: these were good and i made the tomatillo salsa that went with it but both me and my husband thought it was unnecessary. if i made it again i would forgo that and use whatever salsa we usually use. it also made a TON of salsa AND i even halved the recipe and it was still a ton. the tacos themselves were yummy. the avocado mixture was good but had a ton of lime juice in it. i would just use less lime.

snickerdoodles: these are VERY yummy. i made them last night and already had like 3 today. the only thign i would say is they need more moisture. the batter seemed very dry though i was able to keep the balls together but they do fall apart when you bite into them. the only moisture in them other than the butter/shortening is apple sauce. needs like some soy milk or oil or something.

i have to see when it's due back at the library and i might make one or two more things.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:55 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

it is funny how much i have looked at this book, didn't buy it, looked at it again, didn't buy it, flipped through it, was kinda "ehhh" (like - since i won't be able to get the vegan scallops and shrimp and stuff - i don't know how to replace that), i talked myself out of it, but it was one of those books that you know that you simply can't say no too. sooo it's here. and i can't wait to play with Betty.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:42 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

daisysunshine wrote:
it is funny how much i have looked at this book, didn't buy it, looked at it again, didn't buy it, flipped through it, was kinda "ehhh" (like - since i won't be able to get the vegan scallops and shrimp and stuff - i don't know how to replace that), i talked myself out of it, but it was one of those books that you know that you simply can't say no too. sooo it's here. and i can't wait to play with Betty.

I have decided that the closest I can get to vegan shellfish is mushrooms. Not that that is terribly helpful but I find a lot of omni dishes make sense to me with mushrooms instead of shrimp or scallops.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Moon wrote:
daisysunshine wrote:

I have decided that the closest I can get to vegan shellfish is mushrooms. Not that that is terribly helpful but I find a lot of omni dishes make sense to me with mushrooms instead of shrimp or scallops.

thanks! i'll put that in a sticky note in the book! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I know this wasn't a popular hit with the forum locale, but I got a hard copy for Christmas (had previously been working off of an online copy) and I now plan to use this a LOT more. Other Christmas gifts included a Trader Joe's giftcard (hello, faux meat) and Michael's (yasss donut pan yasss), so I think it's just meant to be that I'll get proper use out of this baby! I hate cooking from E-books. Hate. HATE. HAAAAAAAAAATE.

Also, I am VERY pumped for their new project, which appears to be a bit more whole-foods-based and thus cheaper for the average vegan. I never had a Betty Crocker cookbook but my 1973 edition of The Joy of Cooking basically taught me how to cook. And still helps me to this day. . . Did you know there's a recipe for seitan? Soy milk? Almond milk? Tofu? Accidentally vegan tomato cake? An apple pie recipe that is basically like "do this or that or that or this based on your apple type?" Love that baby.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:16 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I never really understood the problem with their use of convenient vegan meats and cheeses, since there are a boatload of omni-cookbooks that call for stuff you can buy at the store. I don't know, I like having at least one resource to give me ideas on what to do with that block of Match Meat in my freezer. I'll also add my voice to the chorus that you can use whatever protein or cheese you want! I like that they give their recommendations, but it's definitely not hard and fast. I don't think Beyond Chicken strips were available when this went to print, and I use them in pretty much everything calling for chicken. This is not one of my most used cookbooks, but I think it's swell to have on hand.

Panzanella Bake, pg 170 - hahaha, gotta hand it to Betty to turn a perfectly good salad into a casserole, but it's great! Lots of Italian flavors and it's not filled to the brim with pasta, so it's nice for mixing things up.
Fresh Herb Vinaigrette, pg 108 - a lovely basic herb vinaigrette, with lots of flavor.
Chicken & Thyme Pasta Salad, pg 111 - awesome, love the flavors of this! I found the whole wheat pasta to be a little too toothsome, so I'd probably opt for the normal stuff, or maybe spelt if I'm feeling fancy.
Cheezy Sauce, pg 286 - I made a batch of this for the vegan fried eggs, and had a bunch left over. I threw it over pasta and it made a nice mac & cheese! It has a stick of butter in it, but hey, you only live once.
Sun-Dried Tomato and Lemon Hummus, pg 407 - so good! It tastes so fresh but it's really pantry friendly. I used lots of lemon and wasn't disappointed.
Beefless Tips with Bordelaise Sauce, pg 233 - a little creepy, not going to lie! I wasn't much of a beef eater when I wasn't vegan, so the texture of the beefless tips doesn't really appeal to me, but I still found this to be an enjoyable meal. It tasted very fancy. I do think my idea of a large onion and the Shannons' idea of a large onion are very different, so I'd suggest maybe using half of a large onion to start and seeing if that'll do.
Chocolate Chip Cookies, pg 296 - I think I might've made a mistake by mixing these in a stand mixer, they didn't turn out so great. But they tasted good, so there's that!
Vegan Risotto alla Milanese with Peas, pg 232 - quite possibly my favorite recipe from the book thus far. It's really just fantastic. My slow cooker has a magical risotto setting, so I just throw everything in there and it comes out perfectly. I could eat bowls of this.
Vegan Fried Eggs, pg 23 - I probably bought the book for this, and I'm just having none of it. It's tofu filled with cheese sauce. Blech. But now that I think of it, maybe it'd be worth revisiting with Vegg? I bought that creepy flavor injector for this recipe and haven't had a use for it since, so maybe worth a try.
Shortbread Cookies, pg 298 - I loved these. Such a simple recipe, but they totally taste like Walkers Shortbread, except better. They're not very sweet at all, and I just loved them with tea.

There are a ton of recipes I still want to try, but are just a little too indulgent for me to take the plunge yet (oh cheezburger pie, one day you will be mine). I'm really grateful for this book, and love their anecdotes sprinkled throughout.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:04 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

femmefocale wrote:
I never really understood the problem with their use of convenient vegan meats and cheeses, since there are a boatload of omni-cookbooks that call for stuff you can buy at the store. I don't know, I like having at least one resource to give me ideas on what to do with that block of Match Meat in my freezer. I'll also add my voice to the chorus that you can use whatever protein or cheese you want! I like that they give their recommendations, but it's definitely not hard and fast.

. . .

There are a ton of recipes I still want to try, but are just a little too indulgent for me to take the plunge yet (oh cheezburger pie, one day you will be mine). I'm really grateful for this book, and love their anecdotes sprinkled throughout.

I think the issue with the meat and cheese is forum bias. It's a cooking forum, specifically one in fandom of two made-from-scratch kind of home cooks. So of course, folks around here want to make things from scratch, more often than not!

I personally love the book. I'm lazy, often. I like finding new uses for meats. If I found a vegan cheese I liked that wasn't gourmet/$$$, I'd love it for that, too.

My reason for not using the book much is covered in your last paragraph. Richness! And also, it's so STINKING BIG. It's hard for me to think, "oh, let me flip through this and cook something fun up!" on a normal week-to-week business. However? I love it for holidays. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:30 pm 
WRETCHED

Actually, I just don't buy or make much faux meats. I largely prefer using beans, tempeh and tofu. I do think that homemade seitan tastes much better than store bought but I'm still not the biggest fan of most vegan cheeses (chao is pretty good but gimme nooch any day) and even most faux meats other than veggie burgers. It is just personal preference for the most part. Doesn't mean people should leave crappy reviews on Amazon but I'm sure they did.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:19 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Ohhhh that does make sense. I definitely enjoy making things from scratch, and tofu is my one true love, but sometimes I just want to dump half a bag of daiya on some stuff and bake it, haha. I highly recommend the Risotto alla Milanese for anyone wanting to make an awesome entree from here that doesn't use faux meat or cheese, and isn't overly rich! Seriously, so good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11