| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hannah Kaminsky's Vegan a la Mode.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:40 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Well, it seems German Chocolate and White Russian got a seal of approval. The husband finished both off.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:52 am 
Nailed to the V

Mocha Maca Rocket Fuel. Make it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:48 pm 
Nailed to the V

question - if one doesn't like coffee. (like. AT ALL) or can't have it, even the flavouring, is there anything to subsitute for it? (i notice a lot of people pair the two chocolate/coffee together).

In other news - spring blush base + french vanilla = nommy.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:03 pm 
Nailed to the V

Hannah gives a range for the coffee if I remember right. My book isn't here. But I'm sure you could leave it out and just have it be more chocolatey.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:21 pm 
Nailed to the V

thanks, Tamasin. :)

Strawberry Lemon Curd and me, we're going to have a passionate love affair.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:03 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mouse Tracks. Make it. Hide at least half from anyone currently residing in your home. Maybe all of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

heeee

Ironically, this is the National Month of Ice Cream (WHOOP!)
for my birthday I am making Cherry Cola Ice Cream (with cream soda) and Shirly Temple Sorbet. :)

(i was GOING to make birthday cake, but i want to make Orange Rhubarb Cake from Vegan Desserts, so i figure that's too much cake)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

okay. Shirley Temple Sorbet -
I think this one was my first flop. it's still good, but this isn't makeable imo. the zest was very noticable, and it didn't really get all "sorbet" ish. just frozen slushy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The other night Boyfriend bought himself a tub of (non-vegan) triple chocolate ice cream, so I made the salted cashew ice cream for myself. I had a little bit (and it's super delicious, of course!) but showed restraint and put the rest in the freezer. When I went to have some last night there was significantly less cashew ice cream in there, while the store-bought chocolate ice cream sits practically untouched. To get Boyfriend to choose something else over chocolate is very high praise indeed.

I think I'll make the chocolate fudge chunk one next and see how long that lasts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:17 am 
Level 7 Vegan

the first one i made was the plum paradise ice cream (wouldn't have been my first choice, but we just so happened to have all the ingredients on hand). it was tangier than i normally like my ice cream to be, but it was good. probably would have been even better if i'd used better-quality coconut milk.

yesterday i churned the banana pudding ice cream - it has three main components, which i ended up making over the course of several days. aside from being a touch too sweet, it's really really good and i've already eaten half the batch. highly recommended. the va'nilla wafers it calls for are also very nice on their own.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the French vanilla a couple of weeks ago, mainly because I was bored and had all the ingredients already, and it totally, completely went so far beyond my expectations. It's amazing! I've never liked vanilla ice cream as much as I like this one. I'm torn between being upset that it's all been eaten, or kind of happy because its presence in my freezer was consuming me.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I just made Gravel Path. It was really good. It has lots of mix ins, which i like. I hate getting icecream that's supposed to be full of stuff, but most bites are just plain icecream. If i wanted chocolate ice cream, i would have made plain chocolate icecream.
Next on my list is Mouse Tracks. Nom nom peanut butter.
Has anyone tried the magic shell toppings? There are recipes for three different flavors and they all look yummy. I definitely intend on having a full-out sundae bar once it gets hotter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:49 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I just ordered this last night, even though the Amazon preview was really limited without any recipes or table of contents. I also ordered a turquoise ice cream machine! Weeeee!

The flavors people were mentioning in this thread totally won me over, especially the strawberry lemon curd one.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:52 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the mango colada ice cream a couple of days ago and it's really tasty! It doesn't freeze very hard because of the amount of rum in the recipe, but that's fine by me considering in the past, I had the opposite problem with homemade ice cream freezing into a solid rock. Next up after we finish this off is the hint of mint chocolate sorbet (or whatever it's called). I remember the Haagen Dazs chocolate sorbet being totally awesome pregan, so it'd be cool if this recipe was similar, only with mint.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:00 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm the only one making ice cream right now, apparently, but I'm still going to talk about what I made... Haha.

The Hint of Mint Chocolate Sorbet tasted pretty good, but had kind of a slight grittiness to it because of the cocoa powder... It wasn't like there were undissolved clumps or anything, and maybe it was just the brand of cocoa that I used, but yeah. Texture wasn't great. I think maybe it'd have been smoother if a baking chocolate had been used instead, but I'm really not sure how converting that would go. Oh well. I'll still eat it because it tastes good and isn't, like, icy or rock hard or anything.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

when i come back from vacation, i'm making some sticky date ice cream, and ........ brown butter hazelnut ice cream. :)
and stuff my freezer full of spring sorbet. it's my favourite ever.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:11 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Made the mouse tracks, Boyfriend thinks it's the best one yet and I think he might be right! So good, super impressive and not nearly as difficult or time-consuming as I'd imagined.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:06 am 
Nailed to the V

Erinnerung wrote:
Made the mouse tracks, Boyfriend thinks it's the best one yet and I think he might be right! So good, super impressive and not nearly as difficult or time-consuming as I'd imagined.

I know what you mean. I avoided it last year because I was like, you have to make the ripple AND the fudge sauce AND the ice cream base? but it totally comes together if you follow hanah's instructions. next time I would probably try to make my peanut butter pieces smaller. (my top kept cracking up, but to me that's moot,it's ending there anyway).

I always come back to make the spring blush sorbet.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:57 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

This book is seriously changing my life.

I'm in the middle of making buerre noisette and it smells so good. Can't wait.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:02 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

how was the buerre noisette? That's been on my list to try.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

pastabake wrote:
This book is seriously changing my life.

I'm in the middle of making buerre noisette and it smells so good. Can't wait.

Yay, just got mine this week, and whipped up my first batch tonite: Curried Peanut Butter Ice Cream. I was drawn to it because it required no cooking/heating (and we are having an unpleasant heat wave).

Usually, my ice cream maker (which is the frozen bowl attachment on my KitchenAid) gets stuck after about 20 minutes, and starts clicking to indicate the churning is DONE/impossible, but it was still super smooth and silky after 20 minutes, definitely done, but nothing hard/crystallized (probably because of the peanut butter?).

I used her mild curry mix (eyeballing 1/4 tsp of most of the ingredients, to make up 2 tsp since I didn't want another curry in my cabinet), and it's nice and spicy but mellow as well. Very interesting!

I just popped it in the freezer for the requisite 3-hr (?) recommendation, and I'm excited to try it in its complete/frozen state. But for now, SO EASY! I was able to blend it and churn it all while I made my Veganomicon Pineapple Quinoa Stir Fry. =)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:19 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

VeganVamp wrote:
Yay, just got mine this week, and whipped up my first batch tonite: Curried Peanut Butter Ice Cream. I was drawn to it because it required no cooking/heating (and we are having an unpleasant heat wave).

Reviews for the Curried Peanut Butter Ice Cream: I love it! I think it's such a sophisticated and deeply flavored treat. But then again, I love curry, and I love interesting ice cream flavors.

Omni husband thought the taste was fabulous but found it a bit too sweet. This confused me, because I don't like overly sweet desserts, and I found the sweet and spice to be balanced nicely. Perhaps it seemed too sweet to him in the context of a curry food item...

Omni teenager first said YUM, then kept asking, "curry and peanut butter in ice cream?" It's like the thought of it was overpowering his enjoyment of it.

Omni adolescent really liked it during her first few bites, and suggested I stir in some chopped vegan dark choc peanut butter cups - which added a superb texture. But as she made her way through a bowl, her comments were that the initial taste is really good, but the after-taste isn't as pleasant, and said her throat was "sore" (which is probably just the warmth of the spices and cayenne).

So - like other acquired tastes in ice cream (thinking garlic ice cream from The Stinking Rose) - this is one I'd serve again for only myself, or to an ardent curry lover and adventurous soul.

However, as i mentioned in my earlier post, the ice cream is velvety smooth and supple, and all comments were about the flavor combo, with no mention or question of its being vegan or lacking ice cream attributes. It really scratches that ice cream itch, WAY better than the Coconut Bliss I over-enjoyed during my bday last weekend.

Can't wait to try the next one! I'm eyeing the horchata ice cream...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:40 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Holy smokes - I am in Horchata Ice Cream heaven right now as I type! Sooooo amazingly good. Totally tastes like horchata, but with the kick of the dark rum (which I wanted to leave out, because our family loves horchata on its own - but included for fear of rock-solid ice cream without it... However, I used only 2T instead of the 1/4 c suggested).

Omni husband, who was lukewarm on the Curried Peanut Butter Ice Cream, was moaning and sighing over the Horchata! Wow. The cheesecloth straining was a bit of a pain, but the texture is so wonderful - creamy, smooth, rich, and lovely from the soaked rice and almonds.

Eating this one slowly, and enjoying the "stretch" of the ice cream as you pull away the spoon. So hard to believe how few ingredients make such an amazing treat! Again, no comparison to anything sold commercially - truly heavenly ice cream.

♥ this book...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:48 am 
Nailed to the V

I have a question about the book. I don't have a "real" ice cream maker. I have the little Cuisinart Half Pint Ice Cream Maker that only makes single servings of ice cream, and then I have a Vitamix, which can make ice cream as well. Would I still be able to use this book? Is it adaptable to either single servings, or to use in the Vitamix? I am so intrigued by these recipes!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:39 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

beethecookie wrote:
I have a question about the book. I don't have a "real" ice cream maker. I have the little Cuisinart Half Pint Ice Cream Maker that only makes single servings of ice cream, and then I have a Vitamix, which can make ice cream as well. Would I still be able to use this book? Is it adaptable to either single servings, or to use in the Vitamix? I am so intrigued by these recipes!

Hi, Bee: I just perused the opening section of the book, where she describes tools/necessities, etc. She mentions the stand-alone ice cream makers, the Kitchen-Aid freezer bowl attachments (what I use), hand-crank options (which she does NOT recommend), and old/archaic relics inherited from grandparents, but which often work just beautifully. I did not see a mention of the Vitamix's ability to make ice cream - but if yours does (I don't have one, so I'm clueless if this is a standard feature), it would seem you'd be able to use it! Most recipes, including hers, require freezing in the big freezer after the churn.

Also, the recipes mostly make a quart, I noticed as I leafed thru - so you could probably 1/4 the recipe, OR maybe make the full batch, store the mixture in the fridge, and just freeze what you need for that day, a self-serving?

I have cheesecake ice cream churning right now! So glad to find the options that don't require heating the custard first. And thrilled to have a use for the leftover cream cheese I'd made from AVC and hadn't figured out what to do with... The mixture - pre-freeze - is SO YUMMY.