| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hannah Kaminsky's Vegan a la Mode.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Doesn't the Vitamix make ice cream by just blending frozen things? I would imagine that you could just freeze the components and mix it like that. Also, if you have an individual ice cream maker, you could always freeze one portion at a time and save the rest of the mix for later use. It might be a pain with having to either have a fridge full of partially used ice cream mixes or have the same flavour 5 times in a row, but that's an option.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:15 pm 
Nailed to the V

Okay - as winter is approaching, out comes vegan a la mode! (i don't know why I prefer ice cream in the winter time. I was even talking to my girlfriend and I was like, you know.... it's too cold for smoothies....but i should make some beurre noisstte ice cream). and she just blinked at me.

my hope is to get all the ice creams made this year without doing too much repeats (ie: strawberry lemon curd which i only make in winter now because using meyer lemon juice makes this ice cream so much better. if there was a way to save meyer lemons until spring... i'd totally use spring strawberries).

so far I've made:
buerre noissette: really good - but i was going strictly based on written instructions which said once you hear hollow popping/no sound the butter is done. I asked Hannah and she was like it really needs to look brown. (i also did not toast my hazelenuts much). but still very good.

banana split.
very curious for this - no milk that I remember in the base, no coooking at all. basically: blend, stir, go.

citrus zinger ice cream
the custard of this is really good.

next week we're moving to
butter pecan (not! in this book, but in vegan desserts)
rum raisinette
the cheesecake maybe. if i can get some cream cheese.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:13 am 
Level 7 Vegan

daisysunshine wrote:
Okay - as winter is approaching, out comes vegan a la mode! (i don't know why I prefer ice cream in the winter time. I was even talking to my girlfriend and I was like, you know.... it's too cold for smoothies....but i should make some beurre noisstte ice cream). and she just blinked at me.

well, you do need some to go with the autumn/winter pies & crumbles. i'm planning to make the French vanilla for that very reason.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

lol sourcing the ingredients to make coffee chai ice cream is becoming a such a chore. it better be worth it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:03 am 
Level 7 Vegan

daisysunshine wrote:
lol sourcing the ingredients to make coffee chai ice cream is becoming a such a chore. it better be worth it!

which items are you having the most trouble with? i'm not sure where you live, but nothing the recipe calls for strikes me as particularly difficult to find.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

cinnamon sticks, if you could believe it. there was this cute little spice shop that sold them though so i got it and whole cloves. now we're good. i'm using decaf coffee.

i'm also making cheesecake ice cream (i bought jam specifically. i have jars and jars of jam - i make my own, and i was thinking a strawberry kiwi cheesecake was good but i wanted to try it with commerical jam first. i don't use a lot of sugar in my jams, and it was stressed - no lo sugar jams.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:38 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made the Midnight Munchies ice cream last night. So good! It is dark chocolate ice cream with potato chip toffee. It was kinda weird that i picked that one out because i don't actually like toffee, but man it was tasty.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:39 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Made the peanut butter, maple and pecan ice-cream (not from her book, but from her blog). Is was a "left-over" from the book.

So good! The peanut butter made it nice n silky!

Highly recommended!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:37 am 
ugh

Just got an ice cream maker (woo!) so I'm in the market for an ice cream book. This one looks like the best option from what I've read - what do you all think? Also if anybody has a used copy they want to sell or trade, PM me.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:33 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I just got this book for my birthday - it's beautiful!

I started with the pumpkin pie ice cream (with a shot of rum), because I had all the ingredients. Wow, it's so good!

Now I have Bird's custard powder on order so I can make the French vanilla. Hopefully it gets here by the time we finish the pumpkin.

Yay!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:37 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

b.vicious wrote:
Just got an ice cream maker (woo!) so I'm in the market for an ice cream book. This one looks like the best option from what I've read - what do you all think? Also if anybody has a used copy they want to sell or trade, PM me.

I haven't actually tried any other books, but this one is fantastic. All of the recipes I've made from it have turned out wonderfully (I recently made the Pistachio Praline icecream and it was phenomenal), and there's a really excellent variety of recipes in there, plenty of standard stuff plus some fantastically creative ones that have been a lot of fun to try (the Black Pearl icecream springs to mind here - it's not that "out there" but it's definitely different). Lots of glossy pretty pictures, clear instructions, and a range of options from pretty basic icecreams to multi-step desserts (I haven't tried many of these yet, but will get there eventually. Since it's winter here I sorta slowed down on the icecream making).
Anyway, I'd obviously highly recommend it!