| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wild about Greens by Nava Atlas
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:03 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Does anyone have this?

I have a couple of her books but don't use them all that much.

I like the idea of this book a lot and I have seen some of the beautiful photographs, but was wondering what the recipes are like.

Are they all side type dishes and do they all use loats of unusual greens?

Post subject: Re: Wild about Greens by Nava Atlas
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:45 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Is it out already? I have it on my wish list but thought it hadn't been released yet.
I entered the competition to win a copy on FatFree Vegan Kitchen but since about a gazillion other people did too I probably didn't win. Ha... :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:54 am 
Chard Martyr

This looked like a bit of a forced theme to me at first, but I'm liking what I see in the amazon preview simply because my CSA keeps loading me up with heaps of bitter greens. I DON'T need another cookbook but I'll definitely leaf through this and consider it when it's in stores.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:34 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

ComradeSquirrel wrote:
Is it out already? I have it on my wish list but thought it hadn't been released yet.
I entered the competition to win a copy on FatFree Vegan Kitchen but since about a gazillion other people did too I probably didn't win. Ha... :(

Oh, not sure. I know it won't be out in the UK for ages but I just assumed it was out in the US already. Maybe not.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:13 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I have this cookbook but haven't made much out of it -- just used the basic saute recipe for kale and collards. I will say that it was the first time my husband and I tried collards and we liked them. There are some nice recipe ideas for massaged kale salads, although I haven't tried them yet. I do like the idea of eating more greens -- just too lazy to break out of my rut -- I seem to stick with spinach, kale, arugula!

I would say it's a good source for people like me who want to try eating more greens and don't know much about the various types. She explains each type in great detail and what recipes work well for watercress, mustard greens, bok choy, etc.

ps. The recipes vary from simple sautes to main dishes with grains and/or beans, to smoothies. Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:23 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

It's at my local bookstore (in Edmonton). I'm heading tonight to take a look. I looked at it at amazon.com and it seems like a great book. She did mention about not using too many hard to find greens but using mostly commonly purchased/accessible greens.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:51 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm borrowing this from my library tomorrow - I love greens (and get a ton from my CSA now) and am looking forward to finding some new ways to cook them. Has anyone else cooked recipes from this book?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:03 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I succumbed to this cookbook, too. I haven't made anything from it since it's not really greens season here. The recipes use the kind of easy-to-find greens that you're likely to get in a CSA box or find at the grocery store or farmers' market. Collards, kale, spinach, bok choy.

There's a pretty good mix of recipes. It's organized by cooking technique more than course, but a lot of the dishes are hearty enough to be mains. There's also a section on smoothies and juices that I'm not really interested. The design is pretty.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:41 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This is in my amazon cart. It's only $10*, so I'm tempted.

*you know how when one must buy things on amazon for school or work purposes, so an extra $10-20 sneaks in the cart because you are already spending a boatload anyway?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Anyone have any favorites yet? I just bought it on Amazon. $12 for a hardcover is pretty good, and I've been eyeing this one since it released.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:14 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

So far I've only made the greens with polenta wedges. We really liked it. In fact, I'm eating more of it for lunch.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:11 am 
Tofu Pup

this book is only for vegetariens?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:06 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

biggeorge355 wrote:
this book is only for vegetariens?

it's for everyone.

i also got it in the amazon sale. i hadn't made anything yet, but i definitely don't eat enough greens, so this book will help solve that problem.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:53 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Ooh, I really want this! I think when I first heard about it, the Look Inside wasn't available yet, so I didn't know there would be so many greens-heavy main dish recipes (I imagined more sides, I guess).

And I definitely need to eat more varied greens. When I'm trying to be healthy I get stuck on green smoothies and kale salads, so I really need to branch out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:07 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I got mine yesterday. They all look like solid recipes that I'll use, though there was nothing particularly inventive or exciting. There's a section on basic preparation of greens that'll make a good reference.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:29 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

In a bizarre twist, my MOTHER (the one who daily bisques about me owning too many cookbooks) ordered it. It's beautiful!

I'm excited about trying recipes. It's a beautifully designed and printed book, and most of the recipes look great. True, maybe nothing truly innovative, but that wasn't the point of the book anyway. The pastas and soups and smoothies sound great.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:33 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

We made the rosemary potatoes & sausage with collards thing. Tasty!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:52 pm 

^ Oh good, I think that's what I bought Field Roast for (it was like 2 hours ago and I can't even remember).

I saw this in Barnes & Noble today and had to get it- yay! I'm excited to try out a few things- the hoisin-glazed bok choy with tofu and soba is up first. Then I think the collard-wrapped enchiladas, maybe?

For me, simple recipes are good. I have a TON of cookbooks with more involved stuff, but I really just want QUICK, tasty, healthy weeknight meals most of the time. And I'm not a good cook, as far as improvising goes, so I need guidance.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The lemon tahini sauce is super simple and really tasty.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:20 am 

Amy wrote:
I'm excited to try out a few things- the hoisin-glazed bok choy with tofu and soba is up first.

I was not crazy about this. I didn't like the particular soba noodles I bought though, and my pan was way too crowded so nothing was glazed so much as gently warmed up with some sauce. But that sauce was pretty bland.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:45 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

any new feedback on this cookbook? bn.com has it for $12.90 (48% off) and I'm a member so it would ship for free, plus I have a 15% coupon code too so that would knock the price down a bit more.....

I intrigued by the idea since I know I don't eat enough greens, just "green leaf" or "romaine" lettuce for salad. And sometimes braised/sauted turnip greens.

What do y'all think? Can some of these green dishes be main courses? I know fresh is always best, but do these recipes work with frozen/defrosted greens?

How is overall flavor of the recipes as I do like some bold tastes!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:47 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

There's a chapter on mixing greens with grains and beans, and I think many of those would make good main courses. A lot of the soups would work, too. Nava has instructions for freezing your own greens, and I don't see why you can't use frozen greens in recipes where they'll be boiled, baked, or sauteed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bookwormbethie wrote:
any new feedback on this cookbook? bn.com has it for $12.90 (48% off) and I'm a member so it would ship for free, plus I have a 15% coupon code too so that would knock the price down a bit more.....

I intrigued by the idea since I know I don't eat enough greens, just "green leaf" or "romaine" lettuce for salad. And sometimes braised/sauted turnip greens.

What do y'all think? Can some of these green dishes be main courses? I know fresh is always best, but do these recipes work with frozen/defrosted greens?

How is overall flavor of the recipes as I do like some bold tastes!

I think it's probably great for someone who has trouble getting greens into their diet. The recipes are simple, but good. There are some instances where I'd probably increase the spices, but that's an easy change to make.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:05 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Amy wrote:
Amy wrote:
I'm excited to try out a few things- the hoisin-glazed bok choy with tofu and soba is up first.

I was not crazy about this. I didn't like the particular soba noodles I bought though, and my pan was way too crowded so nothing was glazed so much as gently warmed up with some sauce. But that sauce was pretty bland.

bummer, i like hoisin sauce and find it pretty flavorful. in your opinion, what made the sauce taste bland to you?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:01 pm 

bookwormbethie wrote:
Amy wrote:
Amy wrote:

bummer, i like hoisin sauce and find it pretty flavorful. in your opinion, what made the sauce taste bland to you?

I'm not sure. Maybe there wasn't enough of it, or too much orange juice watering it down. Just not enough spice and flavor in general.

I definitely screwed up the with cooking though, so that didn't help.