| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crackers & Dips: More Than 50 Handmade Snacks by Ivy Manning
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:10 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Has anyone tried any of the recipes from Crackers & Dips: More Than 50 Handmade Snacks? If so, how were they?

On Amazon it mentions that the cookbook includes vegan and gluten-free options; I wonder whether they're available for every recipe? I love the idea of a cookbook devoted entirely to crackers and dips, so I'll definitely be investigating!

Post subject: Re: Crackers & Dips: More Than 50 Handmade Snacks by Ivy Man
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:20 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

LittleChicken wrote:
Has anyone tried any of the recipes from Crackers & Dips: More Than 50 Handmade Snacks? If so, how were they?

On Amazon it mentions that the cookbook includes vegan and gluten-free options; I wonder whether they're available for every recipe?

Obviously, it's hard to tell looking at what is currently available through Amazon's Look Inside feature online. Still, from what I can make out, this book doesn't appear to be particularly vegan friendly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:58 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I didn't think to use the Look Inside feature. You're right though, I only came across one vegan recipe in the preview (the Spanish Olive Oil Tortas). I've emailed the author and I'll update this thread when I receive a response.

I think Isa and Terry should write a savoury snack cookbook; I'm sure there's a market for it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:47 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

She's a food writer for my local paper and I would be surprised if it is more than token vegan friendly. I'd rather support vegans writing cookbooks than omnivores trying to cash in.

"...Ivy Manning capitalizes on the pure flavors of whole grains, real butter, cheese..."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:52 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

In case anyone's interested, here's the response I received from Ivy:
I'm afraid that I don't offer vegan options for every recipe, no. There are a few recipes where I offer alternatives to dairy in the recipe, but not for all of them. In a lot of the crackers, it's just a matter of subbing the butter in the recipe for coconut oil or non hydrogenated shortening, soy milk, etc. I counted 22 recipes that are vegan all on their own, with no tinkering. That's about half the book.
Hope this helps?

I'm curious, so I'll probably try to borrow it from the library this week.

Jill, I prefer to support vegan writers too but as far as I'm aware, there aren't any vegan savoury snack cookbooks available. If anyone does know of any, I'd love to hear about them!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:46 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Little Chicken, I feel like there are a lot of savory snacks in 500 vegan recipes. The whole index is on Look Inside on Amazon so you can check it out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:28 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i forget what cookbook i recently checked out the library that boasted it had vegan and GF options. it used coconut oil (so darn pricey!) and it had the flaxseed + water combination wrong which concerned me. so i usually stay away from cookbooks with vegan options, it's nice that the author was being thoughtful to our diet needs and possible concern for lots of vegan issues (animals, environment, etc...), but i feel they are more trying to expand the consumer buying base.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:23 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

LazySmurf wrote:
Little Chicken, I feel like there are a lot of savory snacks in 500 vegan recipes. The whole index is on Look Inside on Amazon so you can check it out.

Thanks LazySmurf! I have 500 Vegan Recipes but I haven't made anything from the snacks chapter yet. I'll have to do something about that!