| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Sweet Vegan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:53 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Inspired by the other thread...

I have owned "My Sweet Vegan" for over a year now and still haven't made anything from it! I always turn to VJIYCJ and VCTOTW for my dessert needs. What have you made and loved from "My Sweet Vegan"? I'm going to be the only vegan at a Christmas party on Friday, maybe I'll bring something from it to share!

Post subject: Re: My Sweet Vegan
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:44 pm 
Dead by dawn

I've made the peanut butter scones with chocolate drizzle. Those are super quick and easy, and taste great (hmmm... might make a batch tonight...) I've also made the triple layer (maybe it's called triple threat?) chocolate cheesecake. It's definitely labor intensive, but it was for Christmas so I didn't mind going to a little more trouble, and it was REALLY good. I think those might be the only two I've made. The book is really beautiful, but not all of the recipes appeal to my particular tastes in baked goods.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:00 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Yeah, I don't use this one much either. I feel like there are a lot of recipes that call for things I don't typically have around and a fair number of the recipes just don't sound that appealing to me.

That said, I've made the black bottom blondies (which I thought were just okay) and the crumb-topped brownies (neat idea, but there are several other Isa/Terry brownie recipes I like better). I also used her root beer float cupcake recipe as a jumping-off point for the Dr Pepper cupcakes that I make a lot. And I feel like I made the cake part of the bananas foster cake as cupcakes for a friend once, but I might be imagining that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:02 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Pinko wrote:
Yeah, I don't use this one much either. I feel like there are a lot of recipes that call for things I don't typically have around and a fair number of the recipes just don't sound that appealing to me.

That said, I've made the black bottom blondies (which I thought were just okay) and the crumb-topped brownies (neat idea, but there are several other Isa/Terry brownie recipes I like better). I also used her root beer float cupcake recipe as a jumping-off point for the Dr Pepper cupcakes that I make a lot. And I feel like I made the cake part of the bananas foster cake as cupcakes for a friend once, but I might be imagining that.

Dr. Pepper cupcakes sound lovely!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:01 pm 
Saggy Butt

Location: A little cabin in the woods of the Willamette Valley
i made the black bottom blondies and they were.... well, not a hit in my house
so i haven't had the confidence to make anything else

oh wait, thats a lie. i made the whoopie pies once and they were tasty.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:04 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

I made the Oatmeal Raisin Rolls, the Strawberry Love Muffins from the breakfast section. They were easy to throw together and delicious.
The Decadent Almond cake and the Mocha Devastation Cake both were huge hits on party and with coworkers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:00 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I make the silken chocolate mousse cake a lot, it's pretty easy and gluten free.I also really like the chocolate peanut butter swirl cupcakes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:53 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

The pear tart is absolutely amazing as is the lemon-lime bundt. My sister regularly makes the icebox cheesecake and loves it but I have not tried it.
We also did not like the black bottom blondies.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:31 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I liked the peanut butter pillows and the peanut butter scones with chocolate drizzle. Oh, and the chocolate wasabi cupcakes are great!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:19 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Nutcase cookies are amazing. Whoopie pies and graham cream cheese cookie thing are good; ditto the peanut brittle.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:52 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The chai cheesecake is really good!

bird noises | book of faces

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:21 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I found the orange creamsicle cake to be easy and tasty. I think the only thing I had to buy for it that I don't keep around anyway is orange marmalade, and that wasn't a big deal.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:10 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the black bottom blondies, which didn't come out probably due to the lack of leavening. I also made the butterscotch blondies, which were good but were more like cake, probably cause I increased the baking powder or added baking soda or something in fear they would turn out like the other ones.

Mihl wrote:
The Decadent Almond cake and the Mocha Devastation Cake both were huge hits on party and with coworkers.

those are the two that I've been wanting to make, but since it would just be for me I haven't had a reason to. can you freeze cake?

I also want to try the party mix bars, but it calls for corn syrup, which I won't buy, and I don't know if brown syrup would work or if it would ruin the taste.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:16 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

mrsbadmouth wrote:
I found the orange creamsicle cake to be easy and tasty. I think the only thing I had to buy for it that I don't keep around anyway is orange marmalade, and that wasn't a big deal.

I forgot - I made that too! It was a little too sweet for my taste, but super easy and everyone else really like it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:15 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm surprised this book doesn't come up more often...(esp with the upcoming release of Hannah Kaminsky's "Vegan Desserts). I really LOVE it. The recipes are so original - so its worth your money to buy this book even if you have 10000 vegan dessert books on your shelf (at least that's how I justified it to myself) :) The Cashew Creme Pear Tart was quite frankly the best vegan dessert I have made...its utterly addictive. The Autumn Harvest Pie was the best tasting pie I have ever made :) I've only made about 5 things from this book and hope to make more...I have the same problem though as some of the other commentators on this thread. Sometimes you just don't have 2 tbsps of this or that soy creamer in the house :) But the book is really worth the search for the potentially hard to find ingredients.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:55 am 
Not NOT A Furry

The doughnuts are wonderful! I was daunted at first but they're not hard at all. :) There are probably other things but I can't remember and I don't have the book with me right now...

lavegan wrote:
can you freeze cake?

Yes!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:59 am 
Naked Under Apron

The Triple Threat Cheesecake is amazing and not nearly as complicated in execution as the recipe would suggest.

Mat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:42 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I get the most requests for the peanut butter chocolate swirl cupcakes.
The Orange Dreamsicle bars were very good.
As were the peanut butter scones and the peanut brittle.
I didn't care for the blondies - they seemed undercooked and I like my brownies more cake like.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:33 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made the Graham Fig Scones and really liked them, even though I'm a longtime scone hater. I used plain whole wheat flour instead of the ww pastry flour that it called for, so they were pretty dry and crumbly but I liked them that way. I thought the figs were too sweet and sort of tasted like raisins, which I don't like but would rather use them instead of cutting up the sticky figs, and the taste is similar anyway. I also thought about soaking the figs or raisins in boiling water, then using the water in the dough to infuse the scones with the fruit flavor. But now I'm trying to recall if the scones even have any liquid, probably not.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:37 am 
Ninja Master

I just downloaded the kindle edition of this as I wanted the recipe for the Pfeffernusse cookies (after Jojo made them last weekend and I discovered they are amazing). It looks pretty good, I'm going to make a couple of things from it over christmas I think.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:13 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

baps wrote:
I just downloaded the kindle edition of this as I wanted the recipe for the Pfeffernusse cookies (after Jojo made them last weekend and I discovered they are amazing). It looks pretty good, I'm going to make a couple of things from it over christmas I think.

Twinsies! After the pfeffernusse, I want to try the doughnuts and the whoopie pies.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:17 am 
Ninja Master

:0) I even ordered anise extract off ebay!

I definitely want to try the doughnuts too and the orange dreamsicle snack cake sounds pretty damn good.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:51 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

My brother said he had something to give me from his girlfriend and I had no idea what it could be since I don't see her often and we're not very close yet. We did talk about veganism and baking over Christmas and she took a bunch of the cookies I made home. Anyhow, she gave me this book, so I am checking to see what y'all liked so I can make something yummy to give to her with my thank you note.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:47 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

boychucker wrote:
My brother said he had something to give me from his girlfriend and I had no idea what it could be since I don't see her often and we're not very close yet. We did talk about veganism and baking over Christmas and she took a bunch of the cookies I made home. Anyhow, she gave me this book, so I am checking to see what y'all liked so I can make something yummy to give to her with my thank you note.

i've only made the black & white cookies, which i thought were pretty good. (haven't tried Isa & Terry's recipe, so i can't compare.)

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:37 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i made the lychee cupcakes this weekend.
i found i had to bake them longer than the recipe said but i could not find real lychee nuts so i used the kind in a can in heavy syrup and basically just took the fruits out of the syrup and pureed them in the food processor. i think it ended up being over 7 oz but i didnt want to waste any so im thinking that affected baking time.
also she mentions it can make usually 13 cupcakes. no way! i think for me it made 10!

that being said the cupcakes were SO YUMMY. i loved them. they came out super moist and just yummy.

the raspberry frosting of course turned out wicked runny. that im pretty sure is just me personally. ive never made a vegan frosting that wasn't runny. i have issues. i dont know what my issue is.

overall i thought they were super yummy and totally worth looking for the lychees HOWEVER my husband was like "these are gross"

HAHAHAHAHAA

oh well MORE for me!