| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Asian Vegan Kitchen
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:09 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I noticed that this book doesn't have it's own thread. I just purchased it, as suggested by a few other PPKers, and it's really great! I also know a lot of others on here have and love it. I'm having a hard time narrowing down what to make, especially since a lot of the dishes are so similar from country to country. It's not a big deal but one thing that bothers me is that it doesn't say on the bottom of each page which country you are looking in, so you have to keep flipping back to find the beginning of each chapter. So far I've made the Laksa, and it was really super delicious! Tonight, I'm going to try the Drunkard's Noodles. Yum.
What are your favorites?

Post subject: Re: The Asian Vegan Kitchen
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:29 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The Drunkard's Noodles were really delicious! It's really a simple dish, but so good. The Thai basil along with all the chilies and ginger really makes it.
Next up: Tom Yum.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:32 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Since I last posted, I've made the Laksa again and it is just so good. I've missed it so much after eating it all the time in Australia. I can't even believe how delicious this recipe is.
I also made the Red Lentil Fritters from the Malaysian section. They were okay, but I won't rush to make them again. I thought they were a bit dry, but I think I could have soaked the lentils longer. Also, I prefer spicier things, in general.
Made the Tom Yum today and it was super good! Perfect balance of spicy and sour. Added some noodles to make it into more of a dinner soup.

I'm really surprised no one else has chipped into this thread, yet! I've seen so much praise on the PPK for this book.

Also, I forgot to mention earlier, the author's name is Hema Parekh.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:48 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

This is a book that I hardly EVER use! I don't know why. I think I am kind of intimdated by it.

One that I LOOOOVE is the spicy potatoes and zuchinni in the Indian section. Man, those are awesome. And I now use mango powder in a lot of stuff.

I made the cashew curry, and it was really spectacular. But the color was kinda green, not the red like on the cover? Probably user error (me)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've never made the laksa! I really should, laksa is one of Boyfriend's favourite dishes. I really love the satay recipe from here, and my gyoza pages are all stuck together from spillages and overuse. I made a few other things during MoFo last year- the pakoras, nasi goreng and pad thai, I think- all of which were great. I don't think I've made anything from this book that I've disliked. I really do need to use it more often, though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:18 pm 
Saggy Butt

PoesiePie wrote:
I noticed that this book doesn't have it's own thread. I just purchased it, as suggested by a few other PPKers, and it's really great! I also know a lot of others on here have and love it. I'm having a hard time narrowing down what to make, especially since a lot of the dishes are so similar from country to country. It's not a big deal but one thing that bothers me is that it doesn't say on the bottom of each page which country you are looking in, so you have to keep flipping back to find the beginning of each chapter. So far I've made the Laksa, and it was really super delicious! Tonight, I'm going to try the Drunkard's Noodles. Yum.
What are your favorites?

Where did you buy it, PoesiePie? On Amazon, it looks like it's out of print, and the used copies start at $45!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Try Book Depository. It looks like they have pre-orders for a re-release or something in 10 days, for $16.

I got my copy at a local vegan festival years ago, it was my first ever vegan cookbook.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:46 am 
Saggy Butt

Thanks, Erinnerung. I hadn't thought of looking there. I ordered it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:56 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Chicki, you just mentioned 2 of the recipes I've really been eye-ing up!

Erin, do it! He will be so pleased.

Zinnia, that's strange. I ordered mine pretty recently from the American Book Center. Glad you found a copy. Let us know what you make!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I really hope this makes it on the cookbook challenge we are going to have! I need to use this book more. If not, I will use it on the 'free week' fo sho.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:27 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I will write up all the recipes with reviews I have already tried as soon as I'm back home (in 2 weeks). Everything I have made from this book has been at least good, and most things have actually been wonderful. I really need to use this more!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:06 am 
Not NOT A Furry

So, now I've finally found the time to review the recipes I've tried.

Indian section:
Spicy white lentil soup - a soupy dal made with split urad dal which give it a lovely velvety texture
Mushroom and green pea curry (with recipe almond gravy) - very rich gravy. I made it with cooked giant beans instead of peas because they needed using up but peas or another fresh vegetable would have worked better. Needs a good blender for a smooth gravy.
Saffron rice with almonds and cashews - lovely, flavorful rice dish
Spiced zucchini and potato - love this dish! quick, easy, very tasty. Also good with peas instead of zucchini.

Japanese section:
Crunchy vegetable salad with Japanese-style dressing - this was just okay. I felt that the measurements for the vegetables seemed off and the dressing was not flavorful enough for the amount of vegetables.
Persimmon with walnut dressing - really lovely and unusual dish from the vegetarian Buddhist cuisine!
Spinach with sesame dressing - A good take on a restaurant classic although I always omit the carrot. The dressing uses sesame paste and ground roasted sesame seeds for an intense sesame flavor.
Vinegared cucumber and wakame - I loved this simple dish as a palate cleanser even without the myouga! I also liked the instructions for arranging the ingredients.
Fried rice with pickled mustard greens - extremely fast dish when you can get the takana asked for. Also very tasty and taught me the concept of frying rice with pickles. What a great and delicious idea that has brought me some quick and easy dinners.
Braised onions and potatoes - everybody needs to eat this. SO good and homestyle cooking at its best!
Burdock and carrot kinpira - tasted absolutely authentic. Love.
Simmered pumpkin - Great recipe for getting used to the technique of nimono. Loved this particular recipe!
Stir-fried lotus root - Another kinpira, also great.

Chinese section:
Spicy tofu (Mapo Tofu) - Absolutely loved this! This recipe results in a rather Japanese style Mapo Tofu though. I did replace the eggplant and scallion with one onion and that was perfect.

Thai section:
Chili fried rice - this recipe uses red curry paste which makes this another quick and easy dinner option. I've made this several times and loved it every time.
Thai stir-fried noodles with tofu (pad thai) - This was just okay. The sauce was not flavorful enough so it turned out a little bland. I think increasing the amount of sauce ingredients would help a great lot.

Vietnamese section:
Stir-fried eggplant and tofu in spicy sauce - this was good but not spectacular. I'm pretty sure I made some minor modifications to the recipe though, like omitting the 1 tsp spicy chili sauce because that would have requiered me to make that recipe.

General note: I really like the layout of the book, it is clear and easy to read. Also, the instrucions for the recipes are really well structured, short and precise with the exact right amount of information.

Leafing through this book made me remember how much I like it and that I really need to try more recipes!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:22 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Finally, I cooked some stuff out of this book! it's a good book, but I think the ingredients scared me a little. but I have been to the asian market!

I made the Gyoza a few weeks ago. Well, used it as a base at least. I added some TVP re-hydrated in a spicy soy broth, and made a few other changes to the rest. My (omni) partner loves these. We made a bunch and froze them and have been eating them weekly. He said last night "I could eat 100 of these"

Last night we had the Stir-fried eggplant and tofu in spicy sauce. Like Lily said, it was not a show stopper, but I really liked it. it was FAST to make too. Easy weeknight dinner without a lot of expensive ingredients. I used my own dry fried tofu (instead of deep fried) and roasted the cashews instead of frying them to be a little healthier. What I loved in this recipe was all the shallots and the cashews. Great with brown rice. Not OVER rice, but mixed in a bowl, both my partner and I agreed that was best. Oh, and leftovers were pretty excellent for lunch today.

Gonna make more out of this book, I swear. I realize now I can sub a lot of ingredients, and it will still be good (curry paste, chilli sauce, dry fry tofu etc) and save me time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:02 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

what specifically about the ingredients scared you? hard to find ingredients? just asking, cuz this title interests me....

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:05 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Yes, I think some of the ingredients (like fried tofu, some of the soy sauces and stuff) and also the time aspect. A lot of the recipes call for making your own curry paste, broth etc. So when you do all of that, a recipe can take an awful long time to make, if you dont have those elements done already.

It's not very rational, since I do that stuff with a lot of other books, but when I would browse through this one, it always just seemed like a lot of WORK. Going to get the ingredients, then making the paste/sauce/broth etc.

But really, it's all unfounded. I have an asian market close by, I can sub a lot of ingredients including the pastes (I have a thai and an indian curry paste I bought that I love) and making broth is a piece of cake. Or, I always have regular all-purpose hommade broth in my fridge anyways.

And the few times that I made my own curry pastes, it was AWESOME.

So all of my reasons were unfounded and irrational, and I do love this book and will cook out of it more often! It really is an awesome cookbook. Beautiful too. The introductions to each chaper are really great. I would reccomend this book fo' sho'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:34 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I don't really -love- this book, but I do like it. I don't cook from it very often, especially not since Vegan Eats World came out, but what I have made has pretty much all been quite good, though I often have to bump up the flavor or spice. Some of the recipes are fantastic and are in my regular rotation, but many of them are rather elaborate for me. Most of the ingredients are pretty basic. I don't mind making my own curry paste, but I had a hard time with recipes that require me to first make dashi or Thai vegetable stock or whatever, since I hate having all this extra and nowhere to really store it. I also don't have a kitchen scale (I know, I know) and having some of the ingredients measured in ounces is kind of annoying for a book that otherwise uses American measures.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:27 pm 
Crazy bat lady

Trying to find the recipes that have been mentioned above made me realize that it possibly has the worst index ever.

I guess I just need to cook from it more?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:43 pm 
Tofu Pup

My first post!
I've made the Green Mango Salad (p.114), and all my family loved it.
It's really easy to do and not time-consuming (about 15 minutes), so I'll definitely do it again.
The cashews go really well with mango. I didn't have chili at home so I used serano pepper and jalapeno, but it was still very good.