| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun May 29, 2016 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Canning Kitchen
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:37 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Anyone else can?
I didn't until I got this cookbook. It is not nearly as daunting as I once thought, especially since this is for small batch canning.

Love this cookbook. It is accidentally nearly vegan. I spotted only one mustard recipe with honey, that is it.

Made the apple butter, applesauce, dill pickles and peach BBQ sauce and will hopefully make the pickled beets this weekend.

Shared my review, recipe for the canning applesauce and a chance to win the cookbook:

https://tastespace.wordpress.com/2015/1 ... -giveaway/

Enjoy!

Post subject: Re: The Canning Kitchen
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:38 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I can! I've been canning for a few years. I put up some tomato sauce just yesterday, in fact, and I'm canning some whole tomatillos this afternoon. I even made local blackberry jam as favors for our wedding 3 weeks ago.

Since it's just me & Mike and we can only eat so much jam, I love small-batch canning ideas. I have several canning books already, but I'm definitely going to check this one out, too!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:00 pm 
Saggy Butt

That book looks so good! I left a comment. I have canned water bath stuff like various pickled vegetables, high-acid jams and chutneys, tomato sauce.

For some reason both my mom and dad (who are divorced and never talk to each other) both started getting really into canning around the same time several years ago, and got me into it, too. I am sometimes hesitant to start a canning project though, because sometimes it takes so long, so things I can accomplish in a few hours sound great!

Also we're moving to a new home that has a dishwasher, which I don't care about that much in general but I know my dad uses his to sterilize his jars for canning, which sounds like it will help streamline the process a lot. So maybe that will help encourage me to start canning more.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:51 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the salted caramel pear butter and it was awesome. I hope to share it on the blog next week.