| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super Natural Cooking by Heidi Swanson
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:10 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Hi PPK'ers. I see a thread for Heidi Swanson's second cookbook Super Natural Every Day, but I couldn't find one for her first cookbook Super Natural Cooking. Feel free to merge if this is a duplicate!

Any favorites from here? I haven't cooked out of this in a few years, but I picked it up today and made the steel cut oats (toasted coconut version) and the millet fried rice. I didn't feel like going outside to the grocery store today (it's snowing here), so I made both these recipes with just pantry staples. They were SOOOOOOOOOO good. Simple and easy, but the final results were phenomenal. Just good, wholesome ingredients cooked to perfection. I wasn't wow'ed by the millet fried rice at first, but I've already gone back for more helpings twice today. The flavors meld nicely after sitting for a while.

I've previously made the crunchy slaw salad and the grain-ola, both of which turned out great.

I've cooked much more from SNED than SNC, so I'm happy to delve into a book that I don't often use. I find her recipes to be extremely easy to veganize and well worth the effort. Even easier since now there are awesome commercial vegan cheese like Miyoko's and Kite Hill to replace the dairy cheese garnishes she often but optionally includes.

These days, I only buy vegan cookbooks, not even vegetarian, since I figure there are so many new awesome vegan cookbooks on the market and why bother to veganize non-vegan recipes? However, re-discovering Heidi's books makes me think I shouldn't be so close-minded.