| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pies and Tarts with Heart by Dynise Balcavage
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:08 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Has anyone tested for this, or pre-ordered it and received it early? I'm very curious about this book.

Post subject: Re: Pies and Tarts with Heart by Dynise Balcavage
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:58 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

It's hard to justify having another book JUST for pie. I feel like it might've been a bad idea on her part to even bother writing one, but I love her other two cookbooks. I've heard there are savory pies in here too, so I'd be interested in hearing about those if anyone knows anything.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:49 pm 

creep wrote:
It's hard to justify having another book JUST for pie. I feel like it might've been a bad idea on her part to even bother writing one, but I love her other two cookbooks. I've heard there are savory pies in here too, so I'd be interested in hearing about those if anyone knows anything.

I know what you mean, besides Isa and Terry's classic Vegan Pie in the Sky there is also Easy as Vegan Pie by Hannah Kaminsky and Gluten Free and Vegan Pie by Jennifer Katzinger and Charity Burggraaf coming out later this year. It seems like overkill.

Still, I have and love Balcavage's Urban Vegan, so I'm very curious about this one, especially due to the savory pies. You can preview the table of contents on Amazon, and the chapter headings are as follows:

Chapter 1: Before You Get Rolling: Getting Started
Chapter 2: Crust Basics and Recipes
Chapter 3: Traditional Pies
Chapter 4: Decadent and Creamy Pies
Chapter 5: Citrus Pies and Tarts
Chapter 6: Pies in the Raw
Chapter 7: Nutty Pies
Chapter 8: Arty Tarts and Free-Spirited Pies
Chapter 9: Savory Pies and Tarts
Chapter 10: "Imposter" Pies
Chapter 11: Pie Toppers

The pies in the "Savory Pies and Tarts" chapter are:

Sun Dried Tomato Tahini Tart
Aloo-Palak Pie
Tomato Tart
Quiche, 10 Ways
Booze-Infused Mushroom Polenta Pie
Classic Seitan Pot Pie
Pot Pie Marsala
Hash Brown Crusted Breakfast Pie
Greek Spinach Pie
Red Pepper Onion Tarte Tatin
Easy Cheeseburger Pie
Pennsylvania Dutch Corn Pie
North African Inspired Kale Pie
Caramelized Onion Tart with Apple Chile Chutney
Cornish Pasties
Mexican Tortilla Pie
Fennel, Leek and Olive Tartlettes

The "Imposter" Pies chapter has a few savory dishes too: Shepherd's Pie, Macaroni Pie and Pizza Pie with 10 Topping Options.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:55 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Thanks for all that! Some of those are pretty appealing, but it sounds like more of a special-occasion book. I'm undecided!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I hadn't really looked at this one because I have Urban Vegan and I don't really care for it, but some of those savoury pies sound really good. And a bit more interesting than the standard seitan and vegetable kind of thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:55 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

This looks like the most complete vegan pie book on the market judging by the preview and the table of contents, so I am glad it was published. And it looks pretty, too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:53 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I pre-ordered it, but haven't received it--is it out yet? I have and love VPITS, so I don't really need another pie book, but the author seems really sweet and she posts pictures of her cats on FB...I'm a sucker like that. I'm happy with a cookbook if it has at least one or two recipes that I end up making a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:21 pm 

KrisB wrote:
I pre-ordered it, but haven't received it--is it out yet?

Amazon lists August 1st as the publication date so I guess not. Sometimes books ship a week early so I decided to ask. Please post about the book when you get it. I would love to know more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:59 am 
Saggy Butt

KrisB wrote:
I pre-ordered it, but haven't received it--is it out yet? I have and love VPITS, so I don't really need another pie book, but the author seems really sweet and she posts pictures of her cats on FB...I'm a sucker like that. I'm happy with a cookbook if it has at least one or two recipes that I end up making a lot.

I pre-ordered through Book Depository, and it's out as of now but I'm now waiting for my copy to ship from the UK to Oz. :( The available preview looks awesome, I have VPITS but I like that this one also has savoury pies and without my copy of VPITS right beside me I can't compare the sweet pies listed in the contents of this one to it yet. Might have to do that later.
I'm hoping since it's sub titled Expert Pie-building Techniques for 60+ Sweet and Savory Vegan Pies that it might contain a more in-depth guide to pie making itself than VPITS - as in I'm hoiping the recipes will be a bonus on top of a really good technique guide.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:53 am 
Saggy Butt

I just got this for my birthday! I haven't had a chance to really look through it yet, though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:06 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I already love this book. I've only tried the pumpkin pie, but it's really good, and there are a ton I can't wait to make!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:04 pm 

I would love to hear more from those of you who have ordered this book, when you get it and have a chance to make some of the recipes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have it - (sorry it took me sooo long - i've been without a computer for THREE WEEKS. doom).
it's good.

i love and adore pie so for me having all these pie books is good good good! there were a few recipes that i'd like to try out, and i mainly got it for the savoury recipes.

i saw the gluten free one at work, and they use coconut oil instead of butter/shortening, which makes me want to get it, for the sole fact that i can make pie for my best friend. who can't eat soy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:29 pm 

I finally received this book after preordering it quite a while ago. I haven't made anything yet, but I had a chance to flip through it. It's different enough from VPITS so I'm happy with this purchase.

It's a lovely book. There is a photo for each recipe--I know some people really care about that. Also, each recipe is on one page:no flipping. I know some people really like that too. The pie crusts use a mixture of all purpose and whole wheat pastry flours, except for the GF recipe. The GF recipe just calls for 'gluten free flour.' They call for margarine as the fat. There are also recipes for cookie crusts, nut based crusts, and crusts made from grains, mashed potatoes and hash browns.

The Traditional Pies chapter, in addition to the usual apple, pumpkin and berry pies, has pies made with parsnips, Shoo-Fly Pie, and a Crostata di Marmellata, which is described as a "fancy Italian Pop Tart.' In Decadent and Creamy Pies, there is a Fluffernutter Pie, Butterscotch Pudding Pie, some ice cream pies made with store bought ice cream, among others. There's a whole chapter just for Citrus Pies and Tarts, which I am pretty enthused about--Key Lime, Lemon Fluff, Lemon Bar Pie, Pink Grapefruit, annnd Chocolate Orange Curd Tart. Pies in the Raw has cute little nut based fruit tarts. Then there's a chapter of pecan type pies and a chapter of free form tarts. I won't repeat the savory pies as they were listed above, but they look really good! The book finishes with some whoopie pies, pizzas and pie toppings.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:11 pm 

KrisB wrote:
I finally received this book after preordering it quite a while ago. I haven't made anything yet, but I had a chance to flip through it. It's different enough from VPITS so I'm happy with this purchase.

It's a lovely book. There is a photo for each recipe--I know some people really care about that. Also, each recipe is on one page:no flipping. I know some people really like that too. The pie crusts use a mixture of all purpose and whole wheat pastry flours, except for the GF recipe. The GF recipe just calls for 'gluten free flour.' They call for margarine as the fat. There are also recipes for cookie crusts, nut based crusts, and crusts made from grains, mashed potatoes and hash browns.

The Traditional Pies chapter, in addition to the usual apple, pumpkin and berry pies, has pies made with parsnips, Shoo-Fly Pie, and a Crostata di Marmellata, which is described as a "fancy Italian Pop Tart.' In Decadent and Creamy Pies, there is a Fluffernutter Pie, Butterscotch Pudding Pie, some ice cream pies made with store bought ice cream, among others. There's a whole chapter just for Citrus Pies and Tarts, which I am pretty enthused about--Key Lime, Lemon Fluff, Lemon Bar Pie, Pink Grapefruit, annnd Chocolate Orange Curd Tart. Pies in the Raw has cute little nut based fruit tarts. Then there's a chapter of pecan type pies and a chapter of free form tarts. I won't repeat the savory pies as they were listed above, but they look really good! The book finishes with some whoopie pies, pizzas and pie toppings.

That sounds really yummy. I see there is an ebook version out now as well. Normally I get most books for the kindle because I find that more convenient, but with all the photographs, I can't decide which edition to get. I have a Kindle Paperwhite which I love but it doesn't do color.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:49 pm 

LFL, that's a tough call. Photos don't make or break a book for me (it's the recipe headers that sway me), but I have to say this book is beautiful. It's funny, I get almost all my books on Kindle now, except cookbooks. I tend not to use my Kindle cookbooks or end up buying hard copies.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:50 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

KrisB wrote:
LFL, that's a tough call. Photos don't make or break a book for me (it's the recipe headers that sway me), but I have to say this book is beautiful. It's funny, I get almost all my books on Kindle now, except cookbooks. I tend not to use my Kindle cookbooks or end up buying hard copies.

I do the opposite - I don't like reading ebooks, but I use them for cookbooks because I like that I can search by ingredient, and because it's so much cheaper I can buy twice as many cookbooks.

LFL wrote:

That sounds really yummy. I see there is an ebook version out now as well. Normally I get most books for the kindle because I find that more convenient, but with all the photographs, I can't decide which edition to get. I have a Kindle Paperwhite which I love but it doesn't do color.

You could read it on Kindle for PC (it's free) if you wish to see the pictures in color. But I agree that even in color it wouldn't be as pretty as the paper version.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I am seriously considering this. For those still curious, I see that there's a (sadly non-vegan but still vegetarian) adaptation of one of the recipes over on the Lisa's Kitchen blog.

http://foodandspice.blogspot.dk/2013/08 ... r-pie.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:26 pm 

Minatomachi wrote:
KrisB wrote:

I do the opposite - I don't like reading ebooks, but I use them for cookbooks because I like that I can search by ingredient, and because it's so much cheaper I can buy twice as many cookbooks.

Those are among the reasons I generally opt for electronic cookbooks as well. I also like that when we travel to visit family I can bring my cookbook collection with me. Since most of our relatives aren't vegan, it's helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

ScandinaVegan wrote:
I am seriously considering this. For those still curious, I see that there's a (sadly non-vegan but still vegetarian) adaptation of one of the recipes over on the Lisa's Kitchen blog.

http://foodandspice.blogspot.dk/2013/08 ... r-pie.html

it's weird that she got all up in arms with "margarine."
had Dynise had said butter (as we all know in vegan-land she means either sepctrum or earth balance for storebought brands), would it have made a difference?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:09 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

We are giving away a bunch of copies on the mofo blog today
http://www.veganmofo.com/giveaway-pies- ... ment-81291

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:49 pm 

Thanks, I entered.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:47 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I think I'm making the grasshopper ice cream pie tonight! I was torn between one of the cookie crust recipes since I had some cookies needing use, and I just happen to have chocolate and mint chocolate chip ice cream in the freezer from root canal week...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:44 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I think I need to try the Fluffernutter pie soon, I have everything for it except the cookie crust.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:07 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Dynise's recipe for Fluffernutter Pie is feature on GirlieGirlArmy. Look'in very good !

Fluffernutter Pie
http://girliegirlarmy.com/nosh/20130919 ... utter-pie/