| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The HappyCow Cookbook
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:11 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Does anyone here have this, either from the bookstore or the library? I'd love to know more about the recipes in this one.

Post subject: Re: The HappyCow Cookbook
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:04 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I saw a copy of the book at Barnes & Noble, and I'm pretty excited about it! The book includes recipes from several vegan restaurants I know and love - like Sun Cafe, Native Foods, Veggie Grill, Millennium, Karyn's On Green... In addition to each restaurant offering a recipe, there is also a Q&A with the owner. I was particularly jazzed to see that the recipe from Native Foods was for the steak sandwich, which is one of my all time favorites.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:30 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

cadryskitchen wrote:
I was particularly jazzed to see that the recipe from Native Foods was for the steak sandwich, which is one of my all time favorites.

Sold!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:23 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've got it! My friends' restaurant is in it (Wayward in Seattle - it features Tami's recipe for nutloaf, which I can tell you is delicious), so I bought it from them. I think it has a really great, huge variety of interesting dishes. I love that it has recipes from some of the bigger names in vegan eats (Native Foods, Veggie Grill, Millennium, Candle Cafe, Real Food Daily, Loving hut etc) as well as dishes from restaurants I've visited that aren't in my hometown (Portobello, Counter Culture, Cornbread Cafe), two Seattle eateries, and restaurants I've never heard of and will probably never visit. It's an interesting book as well as a delicious one.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:32 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

cadryskitchen wrote:
I saw a copy of the book at Barnes & Noble, and I'm pretty excited about it! The book includes recipes from several vegan restaurants I know and love - like Sun Cafe, Native Foods, Veggie Grill, Millennium, Karyn's On Green... In addition to each restaurant offering a recipe, there is also a Q&A with the owner. I was particularly jazzed to see that the recipe from Native Foods was for the steak sandwich, which is one of my all time favorites.

What's the Veggie Grill recipe? I would love to know how they make their Chipotle Ranch dressing or the Creamy Ranch dressing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:53 am 
Saggy Butt

Loved Wayward. I think I ate there every day when I was in Seattle! Definitely need this book.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:01 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

The Veggie Grill recipes are Crostini Italiano, Farr (Out) Yam, and Cherry Royal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:11 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

AnnaP wrote:
The Veggie Grill recipes are Crostini Italiano, Farr (Out) Yam, and Cherry Royal.

I've never seen these items on their menu but maybe it's not the same Southern California based Veggie Grill chain I'm thinking of? A PDF of their menu can be found here.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:30 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

It is a Hollywood location. Weird, I'd expect all locations of a chain to serve the same menu items.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:52 am 
Smuggling Raisins

Lots of interesting recipes but I doubt I would make many of them. The layout is hard to go back and find recipes although it is fun to read about each restaurant.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:52 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

AnnaP wrote:
It is a Hollywood location. Weird, I'd expect all locations of a chain to serve the same menu items.

They do! The last time I was at the Hollywood location, it was the same as the others. Maybe these are items they have phased out or are planning to try in the future? This is very odd.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:51 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Shared my review and recipe today (Peacefood Cafe's Chickpea Fries) along with a giveaway.

http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2014/10 ... -giveaway/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I haven't used this book yet, but I plan to and I read all the interviews. I really like the concept. I neither live in the States nor travel, so this gives me the illusion of travelling and trying vegan restaurants. Many dishes look good.

But the most exasperating thing about this book, from my point of view, is this: you get to read about which dishes the owner considers the best and which dishes the customers love best. And then, most of the time, the recipes included are not for those dishes!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:31 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Minatomachi wrote:
But the most exasperating thing about this book, from my point of view, is this: you get to read about which dishes the owner considers the best and which dishes the customers love best. And then, most of the time, the recipes included are not for those dishes!

This is why I haven't purchased the book. Most restaurants have some mediocre dishes and I don't want the recipes for those. I'd much rather purchase the restaurant chef's cookbook, in cases where those are available.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:36 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

The kindle version of this cookbook is now on sale for $2.99 so I bought it. I've looked through it and some of the recipes look wonderful. Others look pretty good. But a few are puzzling in their inclusion. For example, the scrambled tofu recipe. I can make a better scrambled tofu than that without a recipe.

I don't believe the Veggie Grill recipes have been served at Veggie Grill in the past six years (I eat there regularly). I think they are just recipes the owner cooked up so he wouldn't have to give out any recipes from his restaurant menu. Honestly, I would have booted him from the book for this. People are purchasing the book to get some of the restaurant recipes.

I also think this could have been a stellar cookbook if Eric Brent and Glen Merzer had selected the restaurants for inclusion based on the quality of the recipes they submitted for inclusion. But it seems that instead the restaurants were chosen based on another agenda. Which is fine, I guess, but then don't bill it primarily as a cookbook. Call it The Happy Cow Book of Interviews with Vegan Restaurant Owners.

I'm happy enough with the book to feel okay about purchasing it for $2.99, but glad I didn't pay full price.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:11 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Up to now I've tried two recipes. The G'day Satay Pie was really creamy and delicious (I made one big pie instead of five small ones), I would make that again with pleasure. The Moroccan Tajine was a failure, with an extremely watery date sauce, a meh taste and a texture halfway between cooked and raw. Since it's from various contributers, it's bound to be of varying quality.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:44 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Minatomachi wrote:
Since it's from various contributers, it's bound to be of varying quality.

I've had some other cookbooks with various contributors that had some variation in quality, but never this much. I have this cookbook for example and although not vegetarian or vegan, the quality of the recipes is more consistent. With the number of restaurants in their database, I think the HappyCow folks could have put together an amazing cookbook had the quality of the recipes been their highest consideration.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:12 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Do you think the HappyCow people reviewed the recipes? I supposed recipes from restaurants in cookbooks were usually included as is, but maybe they are usually tested after they are received from the contributors, to make sure of their quality?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:12 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I agree that the recipes I've tried needed significant tweaking. With many contributors it might be tricky to agree on changes from testers, but this one needed more testing and editing. It's made me hesitant to make more from the book, because I don't want to spend a lot of time and money to have to fix the result.

I did a blog review of it a few months ago: http://cadryskitchen.com/2014/10/15/rev ... -cookbook/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:14 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Minatomachi wrote:
Do you think the HappyCow people reviewed the recipes? I supposed recipes from restaurants in cookbooks were usually included as is, but maybe they are usually tested after they are received from the contributors, to make sure of their quality?

I don't think tweaking the recipes would have worked, since people are purchasing the book to have restaurant recipes. My solution would have been different. This might be a controversial statement, but I feel HappyCow could have included vegan recipes from vegetarian or veg-friendly restaurants as well as from vegan restaurants. That would have given them a wider pool of recipes to choose from, and they could have tested all of them and selected only the best ones, while excluding weaker recipes and restaurants, without making any tweaks. If the primary purpose of the book was to serve as a cookbook, this would have been the best compromise.

I could be wrong, but from looking at the book, it seems to me that HappyCow's main purpose in publishing it was to publicize the restaurants they chose to profile and to publicize their own website, rather than to create the best cookbook possible.

Last edited by LFL on Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:18 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

cadryskitchen wrote:
I agree that the recipes I've tried needed significant tweaking. With many contributors it might be tricky to agree on changes from testers, but this one needed more testing and editing. It's made me hesitant to make more from the book, because I don't want to spend a lot of time and money to have to fix the result.

I did a blog review of it a few months ago: http://cadryskitchen.com/2014/10/15/rev ... -cookbook/

Thanks for linking your review! If the directions aren't clear, that's an additional problem I hadn't thought of.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:34 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

cadryskitchen wrote:

Thanks for the review, it's particulary useful with this kind of book when people share what worked and what didn't. The link to Easy Vegan is very useful too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:13 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Oh, good, LFL & Minatomachi! I'm glad it was useful.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I made the chocolate-hazelnut-raspberry cake for my birthday cake. I had leftover icing, which is a minor defect, and the cake broke when I unmolded it, which happened last time I baked a cake from Isa, too (I should know to use parchment paper by now). Anyway, I glued it up with icing, so it looked elegant... from the outside.

The icing is intensely chocolatey and thick like buttercream, but much healthier since it is mostly made of silken tofu and dark chocolate. The cake is very light (as in, not dense) and moist at the same time. I was over-cautious and reduced the maple syrup because it looked like a lot of liquid... but it made the cake more prone to breaking, so I should just have trusted the recipe this time! I would eliminate the cocoa from the icing though, because the melted chocolate is enough in my opinion. I also reduced the vanilla and used white flour since one of the guests cannot have whole flour.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:53 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The Hayashi Rice is easy and good. It is a spaghetti-sauce-meets-Japan kind of dish. I used shiitakes for the mushrooms and skipped the red wine. Note that four portions in Japan are more like two portions to me.