| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:51 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I just saw this one on Amazon.com (after pre-ordering a copy of the Appetite for Reduction) and am curious if any of you have it? It got great reviews but it won't let me see inside.

Post subject: Re: Alternative Vegan: International Vegan Fare
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:22 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I haven't got the book but he has a podcast that is great (look up Alternative Vegan in iTunes). He does recipes that don't rely on any packaged foods, his background is Indian.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:19 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I've got the first version. I don't know if it has changed a lot. I don't like it much. It's a very weird mix of recipes, some with long lists of ingredients
and some without, and lots of the instructions are too vague. Maybe the new publishers will have sorted that part out?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:42 am 
Seagull of the PPK

there's a thread about this on the old PPK (and i am first too lazy and second too incompetent to find it). i have it, and the book was worth the purchase price just for three or four recipes (tomato rice, coconut rice, mango pickle, there's another)... but honestly had i known that i would have just gotten the recipes off the interwebz, or maybe a book of indian vegan cooking, since i think his indian recipes are really the stars of the book.
there are some that are non-indian that are good too, but they're mostly pretty simple (oven roasted potatoes, corn fritters), nothing revolutionary.
Liz is right, some of the recipes are literally "put hummus on lavash bread and roll up" while others involve four pages of instructions. And i was surprised how many recipes involved "boughten" stuff. i can't just pop down to the store and buy lavash or hummus, i have to make it all, so it was a bit disappointing. he also (in my opinion) does rely on the same spice blend for a lot of his recipes (not sure if you are familiar, but kind of like the moosewood, everything was butter and onions?), if you are not a cumin or sesame fan you are going to like very little of this book.
also, i was surprised at how many of the recipes involved deep frying. i don't really have the will, inclination or space to deep fry that often, personally.
--disclosure, i have first edition.--

check out dino's blog, though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:50 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

I mostly agree with Efcliz and torque. I have never used the book much. What bothered me most is the fact that you never know how many people the recipe serves. I don't want to eat a pot of seasoned rice for a week straight.

I think many recipes are aimed at beginner cooks, that's why they are so simple.

But the banana bread is the best banana bread I have ever had. It only calls for three or four ingredients and one of them is peanut butter, I think. That bread is so good!