It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Up and Coming Cookbooks 2012
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:59 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

bookwormbethie wrote:
bcakes wrote:
My copy of Cookin Crunk arrived.

This book has definitely piqued my interest and I'm thinking of buying it. I do swoon for a good table of contents or organized chapters. Does the table of contest list every single recipe and/or does each chapter page list the recipes in each chapter? I know a cookbook can still have fantastic recipes inside without my preferred organization ;) but I swoon for a well organized cookbook.

There still isn't a preview on amazon :( Can you share the chapter titles or anything??

There's no recipe list in the contents or on the chapter dividers. The index seems pretty complete (though I know that's not the same). Here are the chapters. The parenthesis are mine. I picked out recipes that sounded interesting to me, so not necessarily representative.

1. Just the Basics - Condiments, Sauces and Faux Meats (tofu chicken, creole sausage, etc.)
2. Grits, Gravies and Such - Big Ol' Southern Breakfasts (waffles, biscuits with chocolate gravy, tofu ham with redeye gravy, etc.)
3. Don't Spoil Your Supper - Appetizers and Snacks (No Tell Rotel Dip, sweet potato sausage balls, etc.)
4. Ladies and Gentlemen Who Lunch - Salads and Sandwiches (BBQ seitan salad, pimento cheese sandwiches)
5. Soup's On - Soups and Stews (cream soups that can be used in other recipes, beef stew)
6. Come 'N' Get It - Simple Southern Suppers (Tofu Fish Fry, seitan ribs)
7. For the Potluck - Casseroles and Savory Pies (cornbread dressing, Boozy Baked Beans)
8. All the Fixin's - Savory Sides (greens, sweet potato fries, etc.)
9. Daily Brea - Biscuits, Loves and Cornbread (biscuits, hush puppy muffins, cornbread)
10. Sweet Endings - Decadent Desserts (mandarin cobbler, chocolate praline cookies)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hot dang, this sounds like a good cookbook! and thank you so much for taking the time to type up all that info!

it's $13.02 on bn.com (i'm a member) and i was just e-mailed a 20% off coupon too. i'm torn between ordering cookin' crunk and nava atlas' wild about greens cookbook. both would be great new additions to have and both are so different!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:37 pm 
Nailed to the V

Bianca from Cookin' Crunk never got back to me. :( So no southern vegan food for me!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:17 am 
Level 7 Vegan

IsaChandra wrote:
EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
Veganomicon was released in paperback, although nearly 3 years after the hardcover, according to Amazon.

Nope, it wasn't that's a mistake. It is definitely uncommon for cookbooks in hardback to be released in softcover.

really? i'm 99% sure i saw a paperback version of V'con in a Whole Foods in London last year.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:39 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yeah, I definitely saw a paperback Veganomicon in the American Book Center in Amsterdam.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:42 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks, bcakes, I was hoping to see something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisysunshine wrote:
Bianca from Cookin' Crunk never got back to me. :( So no southern vegan food for me!

bummer, what was the advantage of ordering directly from her? autographed i suppose?

cookin' crunk is instock at amazon and bn.com and it's discounted pretty good ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:53 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Maybe the paperback V'con is a European thing? I have the paperback version and I'm in Europe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:22 pm 
Nailed to the V

Oh I'm Canadian, so I needed the shipping price. (Amazon.com and B&N gouge me for shipping, which is nuts. I'm RIGHT above you, it's not going far!)

But I actually sent her another email (last night) and she got right back to me :) so I am going to get this my next paycheque. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:39 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

daisysunshine wrote:
Oh I'm Canadian, so I needed the shipping price. (Amazon.com and B&N gouge me for shipping, which is nuts. I'm RIGHT above you, it's not going far!)

But I actually sent her another email (last night) and she got right back to me :) so I am going to get this my next paycheque. :)

glad she got back to you, your e-mail probably got accidentally lost in her e-mail box, i'm sure her e-mail box is loaded right now!

i ended up ordering 'wild about greens' by nava atlas. bianca's book is still on my wish list though and will most likely be ordered soon :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:29 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

daisysunshine wrote:

can you not order it from amazon.ca?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Try Book Depository! I can't order anything from Amazon because the shipping is ridiculous (if they ship an item here at all, the postage is like $50), so I get everything from Book Depository now. I've been really, really happy with them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:23 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

chapters.ca isn't bad either.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:53 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bcakes wrote:

There's no recipe list in the contents or on the chapter dividers. The index seems pretty complete (though I know that's not the same). Here are the chapters. The parenthesis are mine. I picked out recipes that sounded interesting to me, so not necessarily representative.

1. Just the Basics - Condiments, Sauces and Faux Meats (tofu chicken, creole sausage, etc.)
2. Grits, Gravies and Such - Big Ol' Southern Breakfasts (waffles, biscuits with chocolate gravy, tofu ham with redeye gravy, etc.)
3. Don't Spoil Your Supper - Appetizers and Snacks (No Tell Rotel Dip, sweet potato sausage balls, etc.)
4. Ladies and Gentlemen Who Lunch - Salads and Sandwiches (BBQ seitan salad, pimento cheese sandwiches)
5. Soup's On - Soups and Stews (cream soups that can be used in other recipes, beef stew)
7. For the Potluck - Casseroles and Savory Pies (cornbread dressing, Boozy Baked Beans)
9. Daily Brea - Biscuits, Loves and Cornbread (biscuits, hush puppy muffins, cornbread)
10. Sweet Endings - Decadent Desserts (mandarin cobbler, chocolate praline cookies)

Dammit, I had decided that I didn't need this book and now look at what you've done.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I know, right?! the cornbread dressing alone is probably worth the price ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:51 pm 
Nailed to the V

You know I feel so dumb. It never even OCCURRED to me to check amazon.ca/chapters. I now feel dumb.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:19 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I totally pre-ordered Vegan Eats World today. I had to do it in the name of free shipping on Amazon.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

bekki wrote:
bcakes wrote:

Dammit, I had decided that I didn't need this book and now look at what you've done.

yeah, and I've made it worse ;) I just typed out all the recipes in the first 4 chapters (in the separate discussion thread related to this cookbook)!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

lobsteriffic wrote:
I totally pre-ordered Vegan Eats World today. I had to do it in the name of free shipping on Amazon.

I did too! I totally don't have the money for it, but I can't NOT have it when it comes out, sooo....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:31 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

creep wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

I did too! I totally don't have the money for it, but I can't NOT have it when it comes out, sooo....

i ordered mine a month and a half ago. i really hope they don't make me wait another month for it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:00 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
creep wrote:
lobsteriffic wrote:

i ordered mine a month and a half ago. i really hope they don't make me wait another month for it.

I'm hoping it will come early, as they do sometimes...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:27 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Every time I've pre-ordered, I've gotten the book early. Fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:31 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have a right itch to pre-order Vegan Eats World. I must be strong and at least wait until next payday.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:52 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I pre-ordered Vegan Eats World. I was going to wait and see some reviews from more people, since I don't use Viva Vegan that much... not because the recipes don't turn out delicious, but because it seems that a lot of them take a long time to make or require other recipes (like seitan or sofrito, etc.) to make and I suck at planning ahead. I decided to take the plunge and order anyway, though, because how can I not?! It would make my collection incomplete! Haha.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Freetahtah wrote:
I pre-ordered Vegan Eats World. I was going to wait and see some reviews from more people, since I don't use Viva Vegan that much... not because the recipes don't turn out delicious, but because it seems that a lot of them take a long time to make or require other recipes (like seitan or sofrito, etc.) to make and I suck at planning ahead. I decided to take the plunge and order anyway, though, because how can I not?! It would make my collection incomplete! Haha.

I feel the same way about VV, but I definitely have some easier recipes that I go back to over and over. The couple recipes from Vegan Eats World that are on the blog right now don't look terribly involved.