| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upcoming Cookbooks 2015
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:44 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

2015 cookbooks are on the horizon, so I thought I'd start a new thread for them (There is already a thread for upcoming 2014 cookbooks, so please post your thoughts on 2014 books there).

I'd love to hear what cookbook(s) Isa has in the works for 2015. I can't find them listed on Amazon yet. Those of you in the know about that, or about any other favorite author's 2015 cookbooks, I would be grateful if you add your info.

Currently listed on Amazon for 2015 are the following cookbooks:

Vegan Pressure Cooking: Quick and Easy One-Dish Meals in Minutes by J L Fields --Jan 1, 2015)

But I Could Never Go Vegan!: 125 Recipes that Prove You Can Live Without Cheese, It's Not All Rabbit Food, and Your Friends Will Still Come Over for Dinner by Kristy Turner – January 6, 2015

Love Fed: Purely Decadent and Completely Simple Raw, Plant-Based Desserts by Christina Ross – February 3, 2015

Of the ones I found on Amazon, I'm most interested in Vegan Pressure Cooking.

Post subject: Re: Upcoming Cookbooks 2015
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Isa's working on an entertaining book, but I don't think it has a name or release date yet.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:09 pm 

creep wrote:
Isa's working on an entertaining book, but I don't think it has a name or release date yet.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm looking forward to it! Where did you hear about it? I looked through the home page links but didn't see anything listed in the obvious places (Books, FAQ), and I didn't want people to think I was overlooking her.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

LFL wrote:
creep wrote:

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm looking forward to it! Where did you hear about it? I looked through the home page links but didn't see anything listed in the obvious places (Books, FAQ), and I didn't want people to think I was overlooking her.

I'm testing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:13 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Oooh! Thanks for posting. I'm very interested in "Vegan Pressure Cooking"! I just got an Instant Pot and I loooooooooooove it! I've mostly been using it to whip up steel cut oats, grains, lentils and beans to use in other recipes. It's so easy to use. Lorna Sass's "Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure" is awesome, and I think most recipes are either vegan or easily adapted to be vegan.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:27 pm 

crazynut wrote:
Oooh! Thanks for posting. I'm very interested in "Vegan Pressure Cooking"! I just got an Instant Pot and I loooooooooooove it! I've mostly been using it to whip up steel cut oats, grains, lentils and beans to use in other recipes. It's so easy to use. Lorna Sass's "Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure" is awesome, and I think most recipes are either vegan or easily adapted to be vegan.

Yes.By the way, Lorna' Sass Complete Vegetarian Kitchen (originally published as Recipes from an Ecological Kitchen) also has pressure cooking recipes. Each recipe in that cookbook comes with pressure cooking directions *and* regular directions, and unlike Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure, it's completely vegan.

Still, even though I have both Sass cookbooks and like them, I'm very interested in Vegan Pressure Cooking. It'd be great to see an update of that kind of cookbook.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:22 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

creep wrote:

I find all of Isa's books to be entertaining!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:06 pm 

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
creep wrote:

I find all of Isa's books to be entertaining!

They are. The chatty descriptions are one of my favorite aspects of her cookbooks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:53 am 
Nailed to the V

one of these days - we're going to see a Bowl Cookbook. (from isa! fingers crossed).
I'd be interested in the Pressure Cooker one but i'd probably kill someone (myself).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:18 pm 

daisysunshine wrote:
I'd be interested in the Pressure Cooker one but i'd probably kill someone (myself).

Actually today's pressure cookers are completely safe! They are tested by UL Laboratories to ensure that! This has been the case for over twenty years (that's how long I've owned mine) and it's a saddening thing that the misconception (based on old 1970s models) that pressure cookers pose a danger persists.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

LFL wrote:
daisysunshine wrote:

Actually today's pressure cookers are completely safe! They are tested by UL Laboratories to ensure that! This has been the case for over twenty years (that's how long I've owned mine) and it's a saddening thing that the misconception (based on old 1970s models) that pressure cookers pose a danger persists.

really! well that's interesting to know :)
[to be fair, that comment(s) came from my mom, and my best friend. I am so klutzy in the kitchen, I think they were like that doesn't look well for me]. but presssure cooking seems something i'd be interesting. this way i can make tonnes of pesto and have it shelf-stable!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:28 pm 

daisysunshine wrote:
[to be fair, that comment(s) came from my mom, and my best friend. I am so klutzy in the kitchen, I think they were like that doesn't look well for me]. but presssure cooking seems something i'd be interesting. this way i can make tonnes of pesto and have it shelf-stable!

I think you might be thinking of pressure canning, which I admit I don't know much about. Pressure cooking is really nice for cooking things fast. I've had good experiences using it to make dishes with dried beans, or long-cooking vegetables, in less time and in some cases (such as risottos) with less effort. The flavors that result are also a bit better than when cooking with a regular pot.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:28 pm 

Celine Steen and Tamasin Noyes' 2015 cookbook looks interesting:

The Great Vegan Protein Book: Fill Up the Healthy Way with More than 100 Delicious Protein-Based Vegan Recipes by Celine Steen and Tamasin Noyes -- February 1, 2015

Has anyone tested for it? Know anything about it?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:57 am 
Nailed to the V

I haven't. but i preordered it.

the Betty goes Vegan gang (Annie and Dan Shannon - maybe? have a book out 2015 - their website says so but i see nothing, nada zilchers on amazon either com or ca)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:07 pm 

daisysunshine wrote:
the Betty goes Vegan gang (Annie and Dan Shannon - maybe? have a book out 2015 - their website says so but i see nothing, nada zilchers on amazon either com or ca)

I could've sworn I saw their 2015 book listed on Amazon before, but it's not there now! I don't know what happened and I can't remember what it was focused on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

LFL wrote:
daisysunshine wrote:

I could've sworn I saw their 2015 book listed on Amazon before, but it's not there now! I don't know what happened and I can't remember what it was focused on.

curious! at any rate - i bought betty goes vegan after waffling on it for like what? a year +? everyone keeps saying it's a great book, and i figure i can just cross out the meat subs and use my own seitan mix like others suggested :) when in doubt, get another tomb!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:01 pm 

daisysunshine wrote:
curious! at any rate - i bought betty goes vegan after waffling on it for like what? a year +? everyone keeps saying it's a great book, and i figure i can just cross out the meat subs and use my own seitan mix like others suggested :) when in doubt, get another tomb!

LOL. Though I think you mean tome-- a tomb is another word for a grave.

There is a book called My New Roots: Plant-Based Recipes for Every Season by Sarah Britton listed as coming out in March of 2015. I wonder if it's going to be focused on root vegetables.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:14 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

LFL wrote:
There is a book called My New Roots: Plant-Based Recipes for Every Season by Sarah Britton listed as coming out in March of 2015. I wonder if it's going to be focused on root vegetables.

It's the name of her blog.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:37 pm 

fruitbat wrote:
LFL wrote:

It's the name of her blog.

Ah, I see. Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:52 am 
So Totally Yiffy

LFL wrote:
daisysunshine wrote:

Here's what I found:
http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Kitchen-Wisdom-Delicious-Recipes/dp/1455557536 - February 10, 2015
Vegan Kitchen Wisdom: Over 200 Delicious Recipes and Tips to Save you Money and Stock Your Pantry
by Annie Shannon (Author), Dan Shannon (Author)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:11 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

The pressure cooker one sounds awesome. I, too own the Lorna Saas book, and I love it, but a one would be great. Looooove my pressure cooker!

The protein one also looks good. I am really trying to get my protein up. Not that I am wasting away on rabbit food (haha) but I am exercising a lot and with weights. I really need to get more protein in my meals (like 125g+ per day), not just with shakes and stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:25 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Word on the street is that Kathy from Healthy. Happy. Life is working on a cookbook due for Spring 2015 called Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen. I would be SO happy if this is confirmed :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:35 pm 
Saggy Butt

Here is another one for January:

Greens 24/7: More Than 100 Quick, Easy, and Delicious Recipes for Eating Leafy Greens and Other Green Veggies at Every Meal, Every Day Paperback – January 6, 2015
by Jessica Nadel
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/161519 ... eexpe0b-20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:35 pm 

gingerlime wrote:
LFL wrote:
daisysunshine wrote:

Here's what I found:
http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Kitchen-Wisdom-Delicious-Recipes/dp/1455557536 - February 10, 2015
Vegan Kitchen Wisdom: Over 200 Delicious Recipes and Tips to Save you Money and Stock Your Pantry
by Annie Shannon (Author), Dan Shannon (Author)

That was it! I wonder why I couldn't find it again after seeing it that once?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:41 pm 

Chicki wrote:
The pressure cooker one sounds awesome. I, too own the Lorna Saas book, and I love it, but a one would be great. Looooove my pressure cooker!

Lorna Sass has two pressure cooking books, but yeah, it will be great to have a third. Pressure cooking goes so well with a vegan diet that I'm surprised more vegans haven't discovered it.

Quote:
The protein one also looks good. I am really trying to get my protein up. Not that I am wasting away on rabbit food (haha) but I am exercising a lot and with weights. I really need to get more protein in my meals (like 125g+ per day), not just with shakes and stuff.

I have heard so much mixed nutritional advice about protein that I'm confused about what the ideal amount is. I've heard more than once that a lot of protein can cause calcium depletion, so I hope the high protein cookbook takes that into account and that the recipes are calcium rich, as well.