| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Vegan Casseroles by Julie Hasson
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:50 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I'm really excited for this cookbook! I love Julie's other books, and I love casseroles but often lack inspiration. I see on Amazon that this is due out in October, so I know I'm really jumping the gun with this thread, but I was wondering if anyone had been (or is) a tester and could share your experiences with the recipes so that we could enjoy vicariously through you until this comes out!

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

Post subject: Re: Vegan Casseroles by Julie Hasson
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:50 pm 
Nailed to the V

I can not WAIT for this.
love Julie's stuff.

(i seriously wished i was a tester) heh.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:14 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Casseroles are my favorite type of dinners, because you can just throw all of the components for a meal- veggie, protein, grain, etc- into a pan, and then catch up on chores or reading or TV while it bakes, and then presto! A healthy balanced dinner! I will definitely check out this cookbook.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:09 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Also really looking forward to this! I love casseroles for the "down time factor"!

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:07 pm 
Huffs Nooch

This is definitely the book I'm most looking forward to right now. I was thinking of saving the book credit I got from the Amazon antitrust settlement to buy it, but Afro-Vegan weakened my resolve.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:23 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I really, really hope it has a lot of make-ahead, one dish meal kind of things. Freezable ideal. I preordered it and really wish it were already out since I've been making lots of meals to freeze.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:31 pm 
WRETCHED

The only casserole I've ever made is the chickpea/broccoli one from VWaV but I'm curious if a casserole book would be for me. I'll be interested.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:20 pm 
Chip Strong

While many of us are eagerly awaiting this book, would it be worth it to have a casserole thread? I love casseroles and would love a thread just on that topic. Successes from other cookbooks, links to blog casserole ideas that have worked, or that we'd like to try. What do you guys think? I guess summer is an odd time to be talking about casseroles, but I'm an all year round casserole lover.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

linanil wrote:
The only casserole I've ever made is the chickpea/broccoli one from VWaV but I'm curious if a casserole book would be for me. I'll be interested.

I regularly make some of the casseroles on fatfree vegan, which is how I fell in love with casseroles. I like to make them on Sundays and then have leftovers for a couple of days. I can't wait for this book and it's great timing for fall when you can actually use your oven again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:43 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

jean wrote:
While many of us are eagerly awaiting this book, would it be worth it to have a casserole thread? I love casseroles and would love a thread just on that topic. Successes from other cookbooks, links to blog casserole ideas that have worked, or that we'd like to try. What do you guys think? I guess summer is an odd time to be talking about casseroles, but I'm an all year round casserole lover.

Yes, I lurve casseroles.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:07 pm 
WRETCHED

Butternut wrote:
linanil wrote:

I regularly make some of the casseroles on fatfree vegan, which is how I fell in love with casseroles. I like to make them on Sundays and then have leftovers for a couple of days. I can't wait for this book and it's great timing for fall when you can actually use your oven again.

Yes, thinking about using my oven right now makes me cringe but the idea of making casseroles is tempting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:28 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

jean wrote:
... would it be worth it to have a casserole thread? I love casseroles and would love a thread just on that topic. ....

Yes, please. That'd be great.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:35 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

linanil wrote:

Are you sure? I thought I had never made a casserole in my life, but then it was pointed out to me that lasagna and enchiladas are casseroles, both of which I was making all the time. But other than those, casseroles were neither something I grew up with or made. However, my spouse will occasionally request a casserole for dinner, usually on cold fall and winter nights, or when we are busy and this is seen as a time saving suggestion. I'm not sure that casseroles are very time saving. If you want them to be tasty it seems there is often a lot of chopping and browning and sauce making and such work involved before the throw it in the oven step. But they can be nice warm comfort food on a cold night, and they are often great for making in big batches, freezing, and re-heating later. Oh, cabbage rolls. Do those count as a casserole? I grew up with those and then invented a really nice Hungarian cabbage roll recipe that I like to make now and then. Any way, Julie is a kitchen goddess, so I'm curious to see what she does with this theme.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:36 pm 
Chip Strong

dalron wrote:
jean wrote:
... would it be worth it to have a casserole thread? I love casseroles and would love a thread just on that topic. ....

Yes, please. That'd be great.

Okay, I started one. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:10 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

jean wrote:

Okay, I started one. :)

Thank you. :)

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=31348

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:40 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

This looks promising!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:58 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
linanil wrote:

Are you sure? I thought I had never made a casserole in my life, but then it was pointed out to me that lasagna and enchiladas are casseroles, both of which I was making all the time. But other than those, casseroles were neither something I grew up with or made. However, my spouse will occasionally request a casserole for dinner, usually on cold fall and winter nights, or when we are busy and this is seen as a time saving suggestion. I'm not sure that casseroles are very time saving. If you want them to be tasty it seems there is often a lot of chopping and browning and sauce making and such work involved before the throw it in the oven step. But they can be nice warm comfort food on a cold night, and they are often great for making in big batches, freezing, and re-heating later. Oh, cabbage rolls. Do those count as a casserole? I grew up with those and then invented a really nice Hungarian cabbage roll recipe that I like to make now and then. Any way, Julie is a kitchen goddess, so I'm curious to see what she does with this theme.

I think nonvegan casseroles tend to be more convenient because they rely on things like canned soup, sour cream, eggs, and cheese. Vegan versions you often have to start by making subs for those ingredients.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:58 pm 
Chip Strong

jean wrote:

I like that idea, its especially good for those of us in the UK where summer is 2 degrees warmer than winter!

π

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:06 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Star wrote:
... like that idea, its especially good for those of us in the UK where summer is 2 degrees warmer than winter!

And in Australia where we are in the first week of winter. It's 7C outside at 3pm and a casserole would've been so nice for dinner.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:36 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

It's the summer here and it is 8c today. I need me some casseroles! Think I will be getting this book.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:10 am 
WRETCHED

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
linanil wrote:

I wasn't thinking about enchiladas and lasagna. I did make lasagna once (when I was testing AFR) and I've probably made enchiladas (on my own) once or twice. My mom used to make enchiladas all the time. I figured those were layered things, not quite casseroles. So yeah although casseroles aren't something I grew up with in general (unless you count enchiladas) but I'd be interested to see where Julie takes this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:33 am 
WELFARIST!

Love me some casseroles. Love the ease of preparation and lovely flavors of Vegan Diner so I'll be picking this one up for sure when it comes out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:44 am 
Chip Strong

dalron wrote:
Star wrote:
... like that idea, its especially good for those of us in the UK where summer is 2 degrees warmer than winter!

And in Australia where we are in the first week of winter. It's 7C outside at 3pm and a casserole would've been so nice for dinner.

See, we be thinking of you folks in the antipodes. It's probably my husband's fixation with AFL, and the footie games and or videos going on the background each night, that has my mind on winter-like food.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:45 am 
Chip Strong

oops, double post

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:20 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

jean wrote:
dalron wrote:
Star wrote:

See, we be thinking of you folks in the antipodes. It's probably my husband's fixation with AFL, and the footie games and or videos going on the background each night, that has my mind on winter-like food.

Your husband is obviously a sensible, well-rounded and immensely likeable man. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next