| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

zelavie wrote:
I'll have to try that, then. My grandmother always made me eat greens, and I always hated them. But I want to like all the veggies!

I *adore* the mess o' greens (using collards only - never seem to have turnips). The "pot likker" is AMAZING. Such a great side dish with some crispy sauteed tofu...

beethecookie wrote:
It sounds boring, but I made the Cream of Mushroom Soup from the book and it was a nice, solid recipe. We did not eat it straight; we turned it into two different casseroles. One was from Vegan Crunk; I want to say it was the Tofu Chicken and Pasta Bake. Yeah, that was it. It was like two weeks ago, but I kept forgetting to comment. Anyway, it turned out really good! I don't even usually like casseroles, but I think it's cuz cream of mushroom from a can always terrified me. Now I don't have to be scared anymore!

Can't wait to try it! The cream of celery was wonderful, so no surprise.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Collards taste good though. Turnip greens are gross, and she makes it work. Or maybe my taste buds have just grown up. That was my first turnip green experience in probably 3 or 4 years.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:38 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the fried green tomatoes over the weekend. I still don't like fried green tomatoes. I keep trying to like the texture of whole(ish) tomatoes and I just can't. The breading was great, though, and I managed to eat most of 2 slices in the Fried Green Tomato and Tofu Sandwiches. The Sweet and Sour Marinated Tofu is really, really good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:39 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I was just reading through this forum to look for some inspiration for using this book - I got it for christmas last year and have only used it once. BUT! That one thing I made was amazing, and I don't think I saw anyone mention it! It was the fried tofu chicken wafflewiches with maple-mustard sauce. They were a little labor intense and involved a fair amount of planning ahead (well, mostly remembered to marinade the tofu starting early in the day), but they were amazing. Even if you don't want to make the waffles/don't have a waffle iron, I'd highly recommend making the other parts and having the sandwich just on regular bread.That's what we did with the leftovers, and just ate the southern fried tofu chicken cold and it was still so, so good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:49 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

yeah i don't use this cookbook nearly as often as i should...... i wonder when bianca's next cookbook is being published, i'm interested in that one too!

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:30 pm 
Saggy Butt

I've used this book in the past and everything turned out brilliantly, I've made Chicken Seitan, Tofu Chicken, Creamy Tofu Chicken Pasta Bake, Cream of Mushroom Soup, Country Vegetable Soup, BBQ "Pulled" Tempeh & Carrot Sandwich, Hoppin John and Cheesy Tempeh Bacon Grits. Everything was delicious.

π

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Had the Seitan Beef Stew last night. It's creamy & delicious! (and pretty darn easy as well).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:10 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I finally made the tofu fish fry and hush-puppy muffins. As I was making the tofu, I thought that maybe I should add some more seasoning, but then I forgot. I'm glad I did because the tofu was perfect as is with the tartar sauce. I loved the addition of horseradish to the sauce, which made it like a delicious cocktail-tartar sauce hybrid. This meal is one of my new favorites from the book.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:17 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Tofu fish fry? That's the first thing that has made me really want to check this book out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:46 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

So I made the tofu fish fry, and I wasn't really feeling it. My mom and husband really liked it though. I've never used cornstarch as a major component of breading without frying it, and the cornstarch breading, just being baked, left this really unpleasant chalky feeling in my mouth. The flavor was good, I just couldn't enjoy it because of that. The hush puppy muffins were pretty good, a little dry though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:37 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I make the Creamy Tahini Sauce from Cookin' Crunk regularly. It's cheesy & nutty and is a great way to make a simple rice/bean/steamed vegetable meal infinitely more interesting. Highly recommended! (Bianca also posted it on her blog here: http://vegancrunk.blogspot.com/2013/08/ ... lates.html)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:49 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

cadryskitchen wrote:
I make the Creamy Tahini Sauce from Cookin' Crunk regularly. It's cheesy & nutty and is a great way to make a simple rice/bean/steamed vegetable meal infinitely more interesting. Highly recommended! (Bianca also posted it on her blog here: http://vegancrunk.blogspot.com/2013/08/ ... lates.html)

I completely agree! I'm using it this week for daily bowls of quinoa, steamed kale & baked tofu. It complements many ingredients very well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

creep wrote:
So I made the tofu fish fry, and I wasn't really feeling it. My mom and husband really liked it though. I've never used cornstarch as a major component of breading without frying it, and the cornstarch breading, just being baked, left this really unpleasant chalky feeling in my mouth. The flavor was good, I just couldn't enjoy it because of that. The hush puppy muffins were pretty good, a little dry though.

I liked these better reheated the next day. I think the cornstarch had the chance to absorb more moisture. So maybe next time I'll be sure to shake off as much cornstarch as possible.

Or just make the beer battered fried tofu from VB instead.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:07 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

If you don't have enough beer battered tofu recipes, the tofu fried chicken in this book is amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:26 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the Summer Squash/ Rice Casserole last night to use up some CSA squash. I wasn't sure how it was going to taste, what with so few ingredients. After an hour in the oven I had to more water because the pan was starting to burn & the rice wasn't completely cooked. There was a lovely creaminess to the dish, but I had to add extra salt to get any flavor from the dish. I haven't made a huge amount from this book yet, but from what I have about half the dishes fall on the blandish side.

On the other hand, I made the Caramelized Brussels with Pecans as a side & they didn't disappoint at all! I actually had forgotten I've made them before. Normally I roast my brussels with S&P, but I'm definitely keeping this one in mind. As a Southern gal, I've had my fair share of pecans and they are usually the one nut I try to avoid, however their specific flavor combined with sweetness & heat is a winning combo.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:59 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Last week I made the Tempeh Gumbo with Hoecakes. The gumbo made a ton. The roux made it very smooth which was nice, but I did cut down on the oil. The flavors improved the next day, as you would expect with a stew-type dish.

The hoecakes were a delight. Easy & fun to make, the flavor of these will go with just about any soup you can think of. I cut down on the oil for those too.

Lastly I made the fried green tomatoes. Amazingly, I've never had these before. These were kind of fun too, but the flavor was just okay for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6