| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Crunk
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:36 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Quote:
Eep, I am so embarrassed, Bianca, please do not apologize! I'm just an overly organized person (perhaps annoyingly so?!?!) and that is how I prefer cookbooks to be. However, I have plenty of cookbooks that aren't organized this way and I love them the same. I'm sure I will love your lots too! Can't wait to get my hands on your cookbook, mine shipped out yesterday, as I'm a fellow Southerner too down here in GA. Told my hubby about your "deviled eggs" (saw the pics on your blog I think) and he is very intrigued!

Don't be! I prefer my cookbooks organized that way too, and I had hoped to do that. But the publisher's style guide had all these rules about setting up the book, and that was one of them. I'm not a big fan of rules. :-P

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

My cookbook arrived today, man oh man I don't know why I waited so long to order, "cookin' crunk" is awesome and there are so many recipes I want to try! the "look" or formatting of the cookbook is sooo nice, one recipe per page (or longer if the recipe needs a second page). plus it's so southern how bianca says how many "helpins" each recipe makes rather than servings ;)

as promised here are all the recipe titles for the first four chapters. (I'll post the recipe titles for the other six chapters tomorrow)

just the basics (condiments, sauces, and faux meats): tofu mayo, country buttermilk ranch dressing, vegan worcestershire sauce, creamy tahini sauce, memphis-style barbecue sauce, basic cheesy sauce, sweet 'n' spicy marinated tofu, tofu chicken, seitan chicken, ground tsp beef, creole steamed sausages

grits, gravies, and such (big ol' southern breakfasts): tofu cottage cheese, chocolate gravy, sausage gravy with sage, bringin' home the tempeh bacon, cheesy tempeh bacon grits, sweet potato hash, cinnamon pecan waffles, sorghum-drizzled french toast, cheesy tofu scramble, tofu scramble enchiladas, breakfast lasagna, brown sugar-baked tofu ham with redeye gravy, southern tofu chicken biscuits

don't spoil your supper (appetizers and snacks): garlicky black-eyed pea hummus, no-tell ro*tell cheese dip, cajun boiled peanuts, butter bean bruschetta, black-eyed pea corn cakes with roasted red bell pepper sauce, sweet potato-sausage balls with cheesy chili dipping sauce, deviled tofu bites, sweet 'n' sour bean balls, cheesy un-chicken quesadillas, save-the-pigs in a blanket

ladies (and gentlemen) who lunch (salads and sandwiches): jalepeno-lime watermelon salad, summer tomato salad, southwestern corn salad, white-trash pineapple salad, creamy poppy seed coleslaw, broccoli salad with spicy citrus vinaigrette, dill weed potato salad, eggless tofu-olive salad, seitan and red pear salad, bbq seitan salad, roasted veggie po-boys, pimiento cheese sandwiches, bbq black-eyed pea burgers, protein power pockets, fried green tomato and tofu sandwiches, fried tofu chicken wafflewiches with maple-mustard sauce, bbq "pulled" tempeh and carrot sandwiches, some-like-it-hot TLT

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:23 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Is waffle-sandwiches an American thing? I've never heard of them until I before I turned vegan.

and also: amazon needs to bring this now.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:12 pm 
And you never will.

daisysunshine wrote:
Is waffle-sandwiches an American thing? I've never heard of them until I before I turned vegan.

I don't know about waffle sandwiches, but chicken and waffles is a southern US thing (it's considered soul food). I think Bianca just decided that it would be more fun as a sandwich.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:08 am 
Saggy Butt

bookwormbethie wrote:
as promised here are all the recipe titles for the first four chapters. (I'll post the recipe titles for the other six chapters tomorrow)

just the basics (condiments, sauces, and faux meats): tofu mayo, country buttermilk ranch dressing, vegan worcestershire sauce, creamy tahini sauce, memphis-style barbecue sauce, basic cheesy sauce, sweet 'n' spicy marinated tofu, tofu chicken, seitan chicken, ground tsp beef, creole steamed sausages

grits, gravies, and such (big ol' southern breakfasts): tofu cottage cheese, chocolate gravy, sausage gravy with sage, bringin' home the tempeh bacon, cheesy tempeh bacon grits, sweet potato hash, cinnamon pecan waffles, sorghum-drizzled french toast, cheesy tofu scramble, tofu scramble enchiladas, breakfast lasagna, brown sugar-baked tofu ham with redeye gravy, southern tofu chicken biscuits

don't spoil your supper (appetizers and snacks): garlicky black-eyed pea hummus, no-tell ro*tell cheese dip, cajun boiled peanuts, butter bean bruschetta, black-eyed pea corn cakes with roasted red bell pepper sauce, sweet potato-sausage balls with cheesy chili dipping sauce, deviled tofu bites, sweet 'n' sour bean balls, cheesy un-chicken quesadillas, save-the-pigs in a blanket

ladies (and gentlemen) who lunch (salads and sandwiches): jalepeno-lime watermelon salad, summer tomato salad, southwestern corn salad, white-trash pineapple salad, creamy poppy seed coleslaw, broccoli salad with spicy citrus vinaigrette, dill weed potato salad, eggless tofu-olive salad, seitan and red pear salad, bbq seitan salad, roasted veggie po-boys, pimiento cheese sandwiches, bbq black-eyed pea burgers, protein power pockets, fried green tomato and tofu sandwiches, fried tofu chicken wafflewiches with maple-mustard sauce, bbq "pulled" tempeh and carrot sandwiches, some-like-it-hot TLT

Oh my! I put this on my birthday list because I'm currently obsessed with Southern US cooking, and now I really hope someone is getting it for me. It looks really good.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

and the other recipes/chapters :)

soup's on (soups and stews): vegan cream of mushroom soup, vegan cream of celery soup, summer's bountry veggie soup, country potato soup, harvest crowder peas, white bean and collard soup, southern fassolada, smoky chipotle pea soup, chipotle chickpea chili, tempeh gumbo, seitan beef stew

come 'n' get it (simple southern suppers): cauliflower creole, spaghetti with raid-the-garden marinara, bbq tofu spaghetti, spaghetti squash with tomatoes and tofu, creamy cashew mac and cheese, cheesy burger mac, red beans and quinoa, quinoa-stuffed bell peppers, baked tofu fish fry, southern fried tofu chicken, cornmeal-crusted tofu stix, tangy tempeh chops with green peppers, spicy seitan hot wangs, country-fried tempeh steak with soy milk gravy, bbq dry rub seitan ribs, seitan tips over brown rice, seitan and dumplin's, dijon-pecan seitan with maple-mustard glaze, hoppin' john with sausage and brown rice, eggplant and creole sausage jambalaya, bbq tempeh pizza, veggie lover's cornbread pizza

for the potluck (casseroles and savory pies): creamy squash casserole, granny's corn casserole, hash brown casserole, cheesy broccoli-rice casserole, mama's vegan cornbread dressing, boozy baked beans, creamy tofu chicken pasta bake, seitan and root vegetable potpie, hungry jill casserole, hot tamale pie

all the fixin's (savory sides): mess o' greens with turnips, caramelized brussels sprouts with pecans, caramelized cabbage and onion, un-fried corn, spicy jalapeno hominy, smoky stewed okra and tomatoes, cheesy twice-baked taters with leeks and dill, mashed sweet taters, curried sweet tater fries, fried green tomatoes, fried squash, fried cucumbers, mama's mac and tomatoes, nutty mushroom quinoa, dirty (south) rice

daily bread (biscuits, loaves, and cornbread):
whole wheat buttermilk biscuits, jalapeno-corn buttermilk cornbread, hoecakes, hush puppy corn muffins, whole wheat beer bread, savory sandwich waffles

sweet endings (decadent desserts): whole wheat blackberry cobbler, mandarin orange cobbler, whole wheat pie crust, fresh strawberry pie, pineapple cream pie with toasted coconut, old-fashioned coconut pie, pineapple custard pie, tipsy dark chocolate pecan pie, chocolate chip coconut bread puddin', chocolate fudgy puddin' cake, sweet sorghum cake, sweet potato bread, yella' cake with fudgy frosting, peanut butter and banana cupcakes with peanut buttercream, holy mole chocolate-chile cupcakes with cinnamon buttercream, vanilla-spice cupcakes with pumpkin buttercream, mint julep brownies, choco-chocolate chip praline cookies, peanut butter oatmeal cream pies, mississippi mud cookies, mama's chocolate pecan pralines

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:48 am 
ugh

bookwormbethie wrote:
spicy seitan hot wangs

*snort*

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:50 pm 
And you never will.

b.vicious wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
spicy seitan hot wangs

*snort*

Haha, I'm so used to people calling them 'wangs' that it took me a second to figure out what you were snorting at. (There's even a place here in Memphis called "All About Dem Wangs")

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:41 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

thar be pimento cheese.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:15 pm 
Naked Under Apron

oh yes, the pimento cheese is lovely!

i tested for Bianca and absolutely adored everything we made. her mess o' greens with turnips are the only greens my spouse will eat (they are ridiculously good) and he requests her country potato soup all the time.

the chipotle chickpea chili and tempeh gumbo are omni-friendly and so are Bianca's sweet 'n' sour bean balls (my personal fav). also, her bbq "pulled" tempeh and carrot sandwiches = scrumtrulescent. we make them every three weeks or so during the summer.

and before i forget - you've just gotta make her creamy squash casserole, country-fried tempeh steak with soy milk gravy, and black-eyed pea burgers. mmmmmmmmm!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:25 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I've now cooked several recipes out of this cookbook...seriously, the Rotel Cheese Dip recipe is worth buying the book alone! OMG, there are not words for that recipe...I used the mild Rotel tomatoes and my picky kids gobbled it up...also excellent over rice...again, FABULOUS recipe! I'm going to make this for an upcoming potluck for my work, and I'm not going to tell my co-workers. I'll bet they won't even notice.

I also made the Creamy Squash Casserole...YUM!!! The Brown Sugar Baked Tofu Ham recipe is also a keeper for my household. I dind't make the Redeye gravy as I'm not into feeding my kids (under the age of 8) black coffee (!). I also made the sweet potato bread. I was really really mad as I had to throw the whole thing out. It may be my oven, which is kinda sucky. I also had to add extra rice milk because I thought the batter was too thick. On a happier side, the whole wheat buttermilk biscuits are the BEST I've ever made. I was lazy and just cut them into squares. They rose so high, they were just gorgeous and tasted excellent!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:50 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

[quote="J_Rice"]I've now cooked several recipes out of this cookbook...seriously, the Rotel Cheese Dip recipe is worth buying the book alone! OMG, there are not words for that recipe...I used the mild Rotel tomatoes and my picky kids gobbled it up...also excellent over rice...again, FABULOUS recipe! I'm going to make this for an upcoming potluck for my work, and I'm not going to tell my co-workers. I'll bet they won't even notice.

I forgot to add... the Rotel Cheese Dip recipe is tofu based, no fake products just tofu and nooch (personally, I avoid fake vegan meats / cheese). And I made it fat-free by omitting the few teaspoons of olive oil. Seriously, it is sooooooo good. My mouth is watering as I write this!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:50 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Bianca
(or anyone else)

Gimme Lean isn't available in Canada (or if it is, it's not available near me). What can I use for the recipes that you use it for? :) ta!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:43 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Question: Are there very many recipes in the book that are soy-free or can be easily modified to exclude soy? The titles and recipes look amazing but at the moment I can only financially justify books that have a lot of recipes I can make for my whole family (spouse has a new and fairly dramatic intolerance to soy). Thanks!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:54 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

daisysunshine wrote:
Bianca
(or anyone else)

Gimme Lean isn't available in Canada (or if it is, it's not available near me). What can I use for the recipes that you use it for? :) ta!

I use Yves Veggie Ground Round. I really like that it is available in different flavours. Their ground 'chicken' is pretty good, too.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Ta, vgnwitch :)
I wasn't sure if that would work, because it doesn't come in tube form.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:51 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I guess it depends what kind of recipe you want to use it in. I've tried Gimme Lean and it is a lot stickier, but in my opinion doesn't taste very good (it had a weird plastic-like flavour). If you were to use the veggie ground round for meatloaf, you would need to add a binding agent to help it stay together (I like mashed potato). For anything else, though, it should be okay as is.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:44 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

J_Rice wrote:
I've now cooked several recipes out of this cookbook...seriously, the Rotel Cheese Dip recipe is worth buying the book alone! OMG, there are not words for that recipe...I used the mild Rotel tomatoes and my picky kids gobbled it up...also excellent over rice...again, FABULOUS recipe! I'm going to make this for an upcoming potluck for my work, and I'm not going to tell my co-workers. I'll bet they won't even notice.

I also made the Creamy Squash Casserole...YUM!!! The Brown Sugar Baked Tofu Ham recipe is also a keeper for my household. I dind't make the Redeye gravy as I'm not into feeding my kids (under the age of 8) black coffee (!). I also made the sweet potato bread. I was really really mad as I had to throw the whole thing out. It may be my oven, which is kinda sucky. I also had to add extra rice milk because I thought the batter was too thick. On a happier side, the whole wheat buttermilk biscuits are the BEST I've ever made. I was lazy and just cut them into squares. They rose so high, they were just gorgeous and tasted excellent!

that's a bummer about the bread :( we aren't huge sweet potato fans so i can't say that i'll be able to try that recipe and see how it comes out in my oven. what exactly when wrong with the bread when you took it out of the oven? i'm no baking expert, but i have had some thick bread batters before that to my surprise have turned out and baked fantastically -- for example, nava atlas's 'three grain brown bread.' how much extra rice milk did you add??

i'll definitely have to try those biscuits. i've been in search of the "perfect" biscuit recipe for a while now ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:21 pm 

Quote:
Bianca
(or anyone else)

Hey there! That's pretty much the only fake meat I call for because I've not found a good alternative. If you a recipe (or could find one online) for homemade sausage patties, that would work. Or you could try another brand of sausage patty (the other brands here aren't vegan .... at least where I live ... but Canada may have another vegan sausage patty option). For any recipe that calls for chopping up the patties (like in the breakfast casserole), you could just make the homemade Creole Steamed Sausages from the book and chop those up. Or Tofurky sausages. I hope that helps! I think there are 2 or 3 recipes that call for Gimme Lean.

On the soy-free question, I will say that there are a LOT of recipes that call for tofu or tempeh because I prefer those over fake meat. But there are definitely a number of recipes that use seitan or beans instead. It's a pretty even mix, I'd say. Also, any recipe that calls for soy milk can be made with any plant milk.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:01 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thanks for answering my soy question! :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:05 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Just ordered the book from Amazon...now they only have 1 copy left. ;) I'm happy that it has nutritional information.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:04 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

I found a recipe for making your own Gimmie Lean:

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipes/m ... 71056.html

It still requires a veggie burger, and seitan, but it's better than a kick in the pants? Gimme Lean has that unique quality of being incredibly sticky (and delicious) so it's kind of hard to sub for it exactly. If you don't want to follow that exact recipe, some kind of veggie crumbles + mashed beans + seasonings would probably work well.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:59 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

It came today -- just flipping through it, I'm really excited to try some recipes. There are some things in here I thought I'd never eat again. I'm so excited to make vegan versions some of the things I grew up eating.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:29 pm 

Hey guys! The "Look Inside" feature is now available for Cookin' Crunk on Amazon! After I heard your concerns, I asked the publisher what we could do. They said Amazon was supposed to already have offered that, and they didn't realize it wasn't offered. So they reached out to Amazon, and now it's there. It only shows a few recipes, but you can view the entire index, plus the pantry stocking section and the intro stuff.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:37 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

yay! Amazon can be really slow to do their part for stuff like that.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next