| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VWAV vs. Veganomicon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:40 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hi y'all. would like to treat myself to an isa cookbook and have narrowed it down to either VWAV or Veganomicon. Basically looking for hearty and yum vegan meals that are from scratch and don't call for a lot of processed ingredients (like meat substitutes). I like trying out new flavors and different dishes from other cultures, but also like veganized traditional comfort food too. I don't necessarily need a chapter on desserts....

I'm sure both cookbooks are fantastic, but do any of y'all have a preference for one over the other?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

Post subject: Re: VWAV vs. Veganomicon
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:46 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

For sentimentality alone, I prefer VWAV, BUT VCON has quite a few more recipes I believe. Both books have ethnic dishes, comfort food, and desserts, but VCON may be more bang for your buck.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:52 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I really love VWAV, but if you can only get one right now, I'd go with Veganomicon just because it has more recipes. I promise you'll be happy with either choice though. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have and enjoy them both, but I cook out of the Veganomicon more often. I love the leek and bean cassoulet, and make the creole stuffed peppers frequently. So, I vote Veganomicon! Although you really can't go wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:52 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

i prefer VWAV because it's more basic, but i mean that in a good way. V'con is good for impressive dishes and out-of-the-box flavor combinations, but the recipes tend to require a lot of ingredients and/or multiple steps. lots of people aren't bothered by this; i am not one of them. the recipes in VWAV are generally simpler, more straightforward, and (to me) less intimidating.

have you considered Appetite For Reduction? that book's recipes are the least fussy of all, and perfect for throwing a weekday meal together.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:09 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I prefer VWAV too, and Appetite for Reduction is awesome.

Veganomicon's recipes are generally just too complicated for me to want to put together or shop for most of the time, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:34 pm 

I love the variety in Vcon. There are basic staples and spectacular entrees and everything in between. If I could only get one book I'd start with Vcon.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:49 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
For sentimentality alone, I prefer VWAV, BUT VCON has quite a few more recipes I believe. Both books have ethnic dishes, comfort food, and desserts, but VCON may be more bang for your buck.

Exactly this.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:45 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I would go with Veganomicon because I'm reading it right now and Isa mentions recipes from VWAV. Then says you can just google the recipe, no need to buy the book.

That being said I have both books. Love them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:06 am 

EmperorTomatoKetchup wrote:
the recipes in VWAV are generally simpler, more straightforward

I actually feel the opposite is true. To me, VCON does appear intimidating but in practice I have found the ingredients less esoteric and the dishes simpler. I believe Isa made an effort to use more accessible ingredients and make things easier. As an example, the seitan in VCON is just a simplified version of the VWAV seitan. There are recipes that require special ingredients but the book is so big there are a lot of basic options, too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:21 am 
WRETCHED

Isa's next cookbook is going to even have a better seitan recipe. I totally failed at the VWAV one but the tester recipe for the next one is my first boiled seitan 'hit'.

Anyway, it is a hard choice. I love the Chickpea-Broccoli Casserole from VWAV and a few others that I've made over the years.

Veganomicon though has the Kale & potato enchiladas and a lot of instructions on basic cooking. It really covers everything from simple to complex.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:17 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks everyone, thankfully the state i live in has both cookbooks so i have requested both to borrowed from other libraries and they are on their way to me :) i'll know which one to buy for keeps depending on which one makes me sad to return it ;)

i'm definitely looking for accessible ingredients (there is a natural food store in my town but alas no chickpea flour!) and eas of preparation, but i still don't mind something a bit more involved to put together after work because we cook from scratch one night, and then eat the left overs the following night, and then if anything is left it goes in the freezer :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:47 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks again everyone for the suggestions. i ended up ordering VWAV :)