| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker - Robin Robertson
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:56 pm 
Saggy Butt

Moon wrote:
I love my slow cooker but only have a couple vegan recipes - so obviously I need this book. But slow cookers are probably the handiest thing ever.

When I used to have one, I used it for beans all the time. None of the other vegetarian recipes online seemed good, mostly cause I'm not a huge soup fan. Now I need a slow cooker again. Mine got lost in a move :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:22 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Just curious if anyone has any opinions on her frittata recipes? I'm contemplating incorporating one into my Easter brunch lineup in order to free up some time while getting everything else together, but I do get nervous serving untested recipes to others (particularly when omnis are included). I wonder if tried and true VB fritattas are the way to go instead, time constraints be damned...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:34 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I made the Braised Manchurian-Style Cauliflower yesterday. I had everything ready the night before when I realized it was meant to be cooked for only 4-5 hours. Not to worry, I have a programmable slow cooker, but I thought that maybe 5 hours on warm might be too much for the cauliflower (but I would have done it if necessary). Not to worry, my son would be home in the afternoon so I called him from work and got him to turn on the machine at 2. When I got home I added the last teaspoon of vinegar and an hour later, after driving one son to Scouts and going for a walk with another, added some chopped cilantro.

I ate it with dry-fried tofu because I wanted something plain to go with the flavourful sauce, and the sauce was so flavourful. The meal was delicious and I went back for seconds,which I rarely do. I ended up eating half of it, or half a head of cauliflower! Now I have never had Gobi Manchurian (which I hear is delicious) so have nothing to compare it to but this recipe is a keeper.

The only change I made is I used onion and garlic powder. I realized not long ago that the off taste that made me dislike meals from the slow cooker is a chemical change in the onion (and possibly garlic). Now I use none or substitute the powder and things taste much better.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:45 am 
Level 7 Vegan

The tortilla soup was omni-approved, but I bulked it up with some beans and added more spice. I think a lot of these recipes need some additional kick for my tastes.

I think I'm going to try her slow cooker seitan this weekend. Anyone try it before?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:54 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I just got this book from the library and I'm officially in love. I made the North African chickpea soup the other night. AWESOME. I made the lakshi last night and I'm eating it for breakfast right now. Definitely increasing the spice levels on everything, big-time, but I always do that. I just got a slow cooker for the first time, so I really appreciate both the awesome recipes and also the clear instructions on what works in a slow cooker and why. HELL YEAH. What should I try next?? :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:23 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I made the Brunswick bean stew today. Used edamame instead of limas and did two cans kidney beans instead of kidney and pintos.

The flavour profile is simple but a little different from the bean soups and stews I usually make - smoky and a bit sweet, almost like a BBQ soup. I was worried it would just taste like bland chili but it's definitely a bit different.

Of course, it's pretty mild and could use extra seasoning in the pot. If I make it again I'll use more mustard and add more black pepper. As it was I just added some Frank's and fresh black pepper to my bowl.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:03 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I got this book for Christmas and made my first recipe the other day. The farm stand stew. I used kale instead of fennel because I had a bunch in my fridge. I also pressure cooked it instead of slow cooking it. It was pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:00 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Made the wine braised seitan and mushrooms from Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker tonight, and it was quite tasty. Mildly spiced in usual fashion but a lot of flavour comes from the wine, and I didn't feel it needed much much else. I didn't bother with gravy browner since it's not something I keep around and I ended up with a lovely brown sauce so no worries there.

I had a couple issues that are more handler error than recipe error. I didn't grease the cooker insert which was dumb, and she says to not let the seitan pieces touch which wasn't an option as my cooker is deep as opposed to wide and shallow. So I did end up with some large seitan lumps but they broke up easily enough and the pieces that stuck to the insert were good and crispy which I have no problem with.

Had it with mashed potatoes and it was a really nice dinner.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:57 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I've made a few more things that I didn't report on earlier, whoops!

The creole jambalaya was yummy and really easy to throw together. I think I cheated on the spices and just used a packaged "Cajun" blend, and I really just eyeballed the amount but it turned out well. I loved the tempeh in it, but I think I just really like tempeh. I would cut the tempeh smaller and get it well browned before putting in the cooker but that's just a preference thing.

The baked potato soup hardly counts as a recipe. Basically you're just cooking potatoes, onion and garlic in broth or water and then putting toppings on when you eat. But it was really fun for something different and not something I would have thought to make on my own. Also an excellent excuse to eat super processed bacon bits.

Tonight we had the chili potato gratin. An excellent excuse for me to pull out the mandolin! I wanted something chili like but I feel like we eat chili a lot so having the flavours with a bit of a different spin was cool. Again I didn't closely follow Robin's spicing instructions but I think it would have been pretty good as written. I used Daiya in it but it really gets melted in to the dish well so don't be afraid to use her cheesy sauce recipe instead.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:19 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Made the split pea and barley stew. Super fast to prep and a healthy, warming, filling, and tasty dinner. Mr Moon really liked it, and it was so fast to throw together on Sunday night that it will definitely be made again. Plus I love barley.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:26 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Has anyone else made the meatloaf? Not a success for me, 5 hours later it was still the same mush that went into the cooker. I am going give it a whirl through the oven but it might be trashed.

Mat.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:37 pm 
Semen Strong

I bought this on CQ's recommendation and loved the laksa! I have Vegan Slowcooker for 2 or Just for You, so I wasn't sure I needed this, but after seeing all the recipes, I am so glad I got it! Especially for summer cooking.

I want to try the ribs and the Mulligatawny and the seitan!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:57 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I made the smokey maple baked beans last weekend and they are really good. Like I never want to buy baked beans in a can again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:33 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

matwinser wrote:
Has anyone else made the meatloaf? Not a success for me, 5 hours later it was still the same mush that went into the cooker. I am going give it a whirl through the oven but it might be trashed.

Mat.

did it get better in the oven?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:47 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

No, I ended up mixing it in with the veg and baking it for an hour and it was still mush.

I had to toss it.

Mat.