| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baconish
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:00 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I am kind of excited about the release of Baconish. Has anyone tested from it?

Post subject: Re: Baconish
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

I'm looking forward to it too!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:19 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I was SO looking forward to this cookbook when I first saw it but now I have to cut sodium. I have a hard time imagining that vegan bacon won't be salty, so I plan to live vicariously through you guys!

Here's a link and a book description for those who haven't heard about this cookbook before:

http://www.amazon.com/Baconish-Sultry-Plant-Based-Recipes-Cheese/dp/1941252249

Quote:
Baconish is the only plant-based healthy bacon cookbook.

Satisfy your bacon cravings with the first plant-based bacon cookbook.

Everything tastes better with bacon. Now you can enjoy that salty, smoky, crispy yum made with healthy plant-based ingredients. It’s all in the seasonings, and these easy-to-make recipes are loaded with decadently delicious bacony flavor. Not only that, but these tasty plant-based bacons are low in fat and cholesterol-free.

Discover Leinana’s basic bacon recipes, made with a variety of plant-based ingredients, and use them to make your favorite dishes that traditionally call for bacon. With your plant-based bacons, you can make everything from Quiche Lorraine and a Bacon and Butternut Galette to BLTs, Bacon Cheeseburgers, and more, including:
Bacon Apple Fritters
Bacon-Stuffed French Toast
Risotto with Peas and Mushroom Bacon
Pasta Carbonara

These recipes are easy to make, using readily available ingredients, and versatile, too, allowing readers to use the various bacons interchangeably, whenever that salty, smoky, crispy craving strikes. These healthy, animal-friendly recipes are so flavorful, they will satisfy even the most hardcore bacon fiend. The book also includes gorgeous photography by Anthony Two Moons, helpful hints, and much more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:46 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

This sounds too strange not to preorder. Mushroom bacon sounds good.

I guess I'll get a little treat to my reader in the 19th!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:09 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I asked the library to order this because I really really shouldn't buy any more cookbooks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:48 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Wow! Less than twelve hours later I have an email from the library saying they're ordering the book. Libraries are the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:10 am 
Taco Scientist

I don't think I would have picked up this one but it showed up in the mail and I'm digging it! It starts with almost 20 recipes for bacon, seitan bacon, tofu bacon, eggplant bacon, carrot bacon, bacon bits, tempeh bacon, mushroom bacon, and so on. Then it's like a regular cookbook with breakfast, salads, soups, dinner, and desserts but they all utilize the bacon recipes (though you could use store-bought bacon).

So far I made the coconut bacon which I loved, it was super easy and cheap to make. I also made the seitan bacon which was a really easy baked seitan but used a lot of liquid smoke, maybe 3 Tablespoons total. Next time, I'd back off a bit but I really liked it still. I had some coconut bacon on mac and cheese and on a peanut butter and banana sandwich and I loved it.

The seitan bacon went into the carbonara which was pretty good. Next time I'd add some spinach since the recipe has 3 T of oil, 2 cups of cashews, fried bacon, pasta, and a cup of almond milk and that's the only way I'd be able to justify it to myself! I was really glad that my partner loved it too because he isn't generally a fan of liquid smoke.

I want to make the quiche lorraine, breakfast tacos, bacon and cheddar scones, corn chowder, and the snack mix for sure. All the recipes are really simple but many of them use vegan products, especially vegan cheese.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:58 am 
Saggy Butt

Eating the seitan bacon right now! I wasn't thinking about how strong my new black pepper is, so that's the dominant flavor, but still good. I've marked at least half the book to try.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:45 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I have this. it's sooo interesting! (i actually forgot i had pre-ordered it. I had pre-ordered it, thought i had cancelled it and poof. showed up my door). v. glad i did not.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:29 am 
BAD PASS

I just got it for Kindle for $7.99. Not too bad.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:20 am 
Tofu Pup

Do the recipes have "lots of oil"? I am trying to minimize my oil intake?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:10 am 

I always hated bacon as an Omni and am still not a huge fan but bought this book anyway. I made the seitan bacon & the cauliflower gratin. My husband thought they were awesome. I don't really like seitan but I liked it in the cauliflower dish. I'm going to make the coconut bacon this weekend and the panna cotta that uses it as a garnish. There are lots of other recipes I want to try too! But some of them I feel like, why are you ruining a perfectly good coffee cake by putting bacon in it - I have to remind myself every time that it's vegan and they still sound weird.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:45 am 
Taco Scientist

vegilorian wrote:
Do the recipes have "lots of oil"? I am trying to minimize my oil intake?

It's a bacon book so yes.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:56 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Pasta Carbonara! Cauliflower Gratin!

I've just looked it up and in the UK it's 16 quid for the paperback!!!! It's now on my list but I think it's gonna have to come down in price a bit

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:20 am 
BAD PASS

Somebody post some pics! I downloaded it for my Kindle, but I keep forgetting to look at it like a champ.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:10 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I just got this book. My mom was first obsessed with eggplant back and now it's coconut bacon. So it's perfect timing to get this book and make her something for Mothers Day lunch. I was thinking of her - but I marked a bunch of pages for myself. So many things that are clever and delicious-looking and I want to make them all right now!
I think the Croque Monsieur will be perfect for tomorrow. So much great information in the book and the pictures are just beautifully done. I am so happy I made the trip to the bookstore last night!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:31 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

*eggplant bacon

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:14 am 

I made the coconut bacon so I could make the panna cotta with coconut bacon garnish. Everyone loved it (omnis) but it was too bacony for me. The panna cotta part was good though!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:12 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I just got this because it's only just been released here. I've only read it, not cooked from it, but honestly I'm a little disappointed. It seems to me that I already have most of these recipes elsewhere. I was hoping for more interesting ways to add bacon flavours using food smokers or smoky tea and other ways I don't know about. It seems there's a lot of 'find this thing and bake it in liquid smoke, tamari, and maple syrup' at the beginning, then 'add this thing to mac and cheese or hot dogs' later on. It's sort of nice to have the recipes all under one heading but I think of it more as a curation of baconish recipes than anything new. I think the only bacon basic in there that I don't have in a book already is carrot.

Edit to add - the dessert section is probably the most adventurous and interesting but I very rarely make desserts.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:54 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I need this book!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:00 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I made the seitan and it was fine but my issue with this book is that I am not learning any new techniques at all. It's a bit of a bummer for such a specialized book. I doubt any of these recipes are bad but I think the book is more like a chapter than an entire cookbook.

Maybe years ago when I didn't know to reach for tamari, smoke, maple syrup for bacony stuff it would have been exciting. That said my husband was REALLY into that bacon--he likes how much maple syrup is in it (I don't--it's unnecessarily expensive), and it was much better after a couple days in the fridge.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:47 pm 
BAD PASS

I was really hoping for a rice paper bacon recipe. I have it on Kindle, so I'm not 100% sure, but I didn't see one. Otherwise, pretty sure the only bacon-y recipe I need is the tempeh bacon bits one in Salad Samurai.