| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Holiday Cookbooks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:49 am 
Saggy Butt

I've just ordered Vegan for the Holidays by Zel Allen, I had a look inside on Amazon and I liked what I saw. I just couldn't see enough of Nava Atlas's book to make a decision about it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

darksideknitter wrote:
I've just ordered Vegan for the Holidays by Zel Allen, I had a look inside on Amazon and I liked what I saw. I just couldn't see enough of Nava Atlas's book to make a decision about it.

I hear you on the lack of previewing ability. It's something I find frustrating as well. I have an old Nava Atlas cookbook called Vegetarian Celebrations that I like a lot, but it's not vegan. I would love a veganized version of it but in recent years her later cookbooks and recipes have not worked as well for me.

Could you post your thoughts on Zel Allen's Vegan for the Holidays when you get it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

LFL wrote:
darksideknitter wrote:

I hear you on the lack of previewing ability. It's something I find frustrating as well. I have an old Nava Atlas cookbook called Vegetarian Celebrations that I like a lot, but it's not vegan. I would love a veganized version of it but in recent years her later cookbooks and recipes have not worked as well for me.

Could you post your thoughts on Zel Allen's Vegan for the Holidays when you get it?

Will do!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:00 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

LFL wrote:
darksideknitter wrote:

A friend of mine was either a recipe tester or a reviewer for it - either way she got an advance copy and I had a look at it. Everything in it looked pretty good, and she was really excited about it. Cultural differences (she's American, I'm English) caused the biggest divide as I didn't know what half the recipes were. Similarly, she once spent Christmas with my family when she was a travelling boho-hobo and stared in amazement at how differently we do Christmas. Still, for a bunch of foods I only really know from TV, it looked pretty good!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:25 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Giving this thread a bump. I hope to get more opinions on holiday cookbooks (not just the ones previously mentioned, but also any others you can recommend).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:34 am 
Huffs Nooch

I have Party Vegan, Celebrate Vegan and Quick and Easy Vegan Celebrations. I'm not sure why I'm so greedy for holiday books when I don't celebrate in any big way. I also seem to have a minor cookbook hoarding problem :-).

No one has mentioned The Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick Goudreau, which has seasonal menus for entertaining, including holidays. There are plenty of recipes that are suitable for everyday too.

Chapter 1 Cozy Coupling: Romantic Dinners for Two (spring, summer, fall, winter menus)
Chapter 2 Fun with Friends: Casual Meals for Four to Six
Chapter 3 Pulling Out the Stops: Formal Dining for Six to Ten
Chapter 4 Let's Celebrate: Menus for Special Occasions (suggested for bar or bat mitzvah, engagement, graduation, Mother's/Father's Day, new job, dog or cat adoption)
Chapter 5 Honoring Tradition: Feasts For the Holidays
Chapter 6 Excuses to Party: Buffets, Heavy Appetizers, and Finger Food

The holiday chapter is divided into spring/summer and autumn/winter. Spring/summer: The Wild Brunch (?), When Irish Eyes Are Smiling, A Passover Seder. Autumn/winter: It's A Wonderful Life, Home For the Holidays, Winter Wonderland.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Kris, what is your favorite among the four cookbooks you've mentioned?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:24 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

i'm planning to use some recipes from Vegan Holiday Kitchen for Thanksgiving. i'll report back how they turn out.

I'm going to put my cats in a baby bjorn and be like, "LOOK WE CAN STILL HANG OUT LOOK WE'RE HAVING A PLAYDATE." - bathsheba

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:37 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I have made 4 things from Vegan for the Holidays (Old World Goulash, Mushroom Barley Cholent, Ground Nut Stew & Winter Almond Chowder).
I have tried the Goulash, it was quite tasty and wholesome but not my favourite goulash recipe, I've had better and won't be bothering with it again.

The other 3 I have frozen for next week, but they tasted good while I was making them. The one thing I found about the recipes I used was how healthy they were, no added oil/vegan butter etc which I was expecting them to be full of. The only high calorie ingredient was peanut butter.

I have also bought Very Vegan Christmas Cookies, not made anything yet but will be over the next couple of weeks.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:19 pm 
Huffs Nooch

LFL wrote:

That's a tough call, since I don't really use them as holiday cookbooks. I haven't actually made any of the recipes in Party Vegan or Quick and Easy Vegan Celebrations, though they both have very appealing menus. I bought Party Vegan for the holiday seitan roast, but then Isa shared her leek and mushroom stuffed seitan roll on the blog and that's all I ever want to make now for the holidays. I bought QEVC for the mac and cheese recipe, but I always make the one from Vegan Diner or Isa's chipotle mac and cheese.

I have soft spot for The Vegan Table because it was one of my first vegan cookbooks and I enjoy Colleen's essays on vegan topics throughout the book. It also has lovely photos. And you have to love a girl that puts an entire head of garlic in soup for a romantic dinner for two, lol.

Celebrate Vegan is, for me, the most fun, and that edges it to fav status. She has a menu for Festivus! The menus are not as traditional as the other books and they make me want to cook for each holiday.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:57 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I have been baking from Very Vegan Christmas Cookies and all I can say is "Damn Ellen Brown knows how to bake".
I have so far made the Stained Glass Cookies & Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. Both recipes have worked perfectly and tasted fantastic

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Goodreads

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:40 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

KrisB wrote:
LFL wrote:

Celebrate Vegan is, for me, the most fun, and that edges it to fav status. She has a menu for Festivus! The menus are not as traditional as the other books and they make me want to cook for each holiday.

Thanks! You've sold me on Celebrate Vegan. I added it to my holiday gift wish list.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:39 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

darksideknitter wrote:
LFL wrote:
darksideknitter wrote:

!

I have Nava Atlas' book. It's beautiful, and it appears it has some really great recipes. I would say it's more along the lines of veganized traditional holiday foods, with a heavy emphasis on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and a large section for Hanukah / Jewish celebrations. I haven't yet cooked a lot out of it, but am definitely eyeing it as the holidays draw near, and I need to cook things that are more traditional for omni friends / family who aren't too adventurous in their food selections and otherwise get freaked out by veganism. A lot of the recipes seem like I could bring them to a potluck and no one would even notice they're vegan, so I don't have to have difficult explanations / awkward conversations and other types of weird food-drama that often surrounds the holidays. Yes, I'm a conflict-avoidant personality! And for the record, I'm a Nava Atlas fan...I have a lot of her other cookbooks, I find her recipes simple, healthy, and generally picky-eater friendly.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:09 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I have Party Vegan and Vegan Holiday Kitchen, but it's only been a short time. Party Vegan covers lots of occasions, but has only one menu for each. Vegan Holiday Kitchen covers a fewer number of celebrations, but with more recipes.

In Party Vegan, I liked the Black Rice and Chickpea Salad (not sure of the exact recipe title).

In Vegan Holiday Kitchen, I loved the Whole Wheat Stuffing with Pine Nuts and Dried Fruit. I was not impressed by the Hearty Lentil and Mushroom Shepherd's Pie.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:33 pm 
Chard Martyr

Not even vegan, but the Healthy Hedonist Holidays is one of my favourite go-tos for special holidays. I also love The (Almost No-Fat) Holiday Cookbook by BCG even though the title would probably deter me if I didn't completely trust Bryanna's recipes. Celebrate Vegan is my favourite of Dynise's books.

I seem to hoard holiday cookbooks, as I have almost all mentioned. I don't love Party Vegan and I ended up giving it away, and Vegan Holiday Kitchen is so pretty to look at but none of the recipes appeal much to me, though I do remember liking the wild mushroom soup okay. I feel like Bryant Terry's The Inspired Vegan has lots of really unique recipes/menus that would be great for the holidays. Veganomicon has some great options for winter holiday entrees.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:52 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

In the US at least, Party Vegan is currently only $2.51 to kindle users.