| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: reFresh
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:45 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

Does anyone have this cookbook? I was trawling Amazon and came across it and thought it looked interesting.

Post subject: Re: reFresh
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:08 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I have it. Have made some of the dips and sauces from it, and some of the rice bowls. I quite like it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:13 am 
Nooch of Earl

I bought "Fresh: at home" after visiting the restaurant in Toronto; I LOVED their pan-fried tofu, which has some of the appeal of fried chicken. And the recipe is actually easy to make at home! Their books all looked similar. If you're a big fan of bowls, noodle dishes, and sammiches it's a good book. Everything I've made from "Fresh" has been really really good and well received by the husband, but I usually improv those kinds of dishes so I can't say I've used it all THAT much.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:50 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Their burger recipe is really tasty! Their scrambled tofu is delicious too!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:19 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

My mother has it, but all I've made from it is the burgers. Next time I'm home I should make more from it; the burgers were pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:52 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I have it too, and I second the sauces/dressings!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:08 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I have it, and have never made or fancied making anything, so I'm keeping an eye on this thread too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:26 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

The Black Bean Passion soup is my go to black bean soup. So tasty. And I used to make the bowls for lunches on a pretty regular basis but right now am into the AfR bowls; I'm sure I'll add them back into the repertoire sooner or later, as they are pretty delicious and very filling. Actually, the rice instructions make way too much rice now that I think about, once you add the other stuff to your bowl, but whatever. Nom!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:38 am 

Resurrecting this thread, because I got Fresh for Xmas so rather than start a new one I thought I'd ask about it here. Both books feel similar and they've both definitely got too many juices/smoothie/superfood type stuff for my liking, but the other stuff looks quite good. Any more favourites from either book since this thread started?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:58 am 

I have few specific recommendations since I promptly sold my copy after finding too much redundancy and too many juices/smoothies, but I do really like the salad dressings and the sauces in all the Fresh books. I had the quinoa onion rings at the restaurant when I was last in Toronto and they were delicious--I believe that recipe is in the book?

I feel like all the books (there are three now, right?) are nice templates for cooking, but they suffer from that restaurant cookbook unreliability.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:50 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I recently picked up Fresh because it was in the sale section at work, but I haven't made anything from it yet. To be fair, though, I haven't made anything from any cookbook in the last few weeks because I've just been too dang busy. That said, I've had reFresh for a few years (since first visiting the restaurant) and I've barely made anything from it either. I think I've made one or two bowls (the one I remember is the Dragon Bowl) and I've made the miso gravy on numerous occasions to use on my own concoctions.

I do still want to try some of the sandwiches and wraps because I'm always looking for lunch ideas, but I just never seem to get around to using these books.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:11 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Maybe I should pick up some of these books. Everything I've had at their restaurants has been delicious! This summer a new one is opening 5 minutes from my apartment (and right next door to my gym)! But it would be a lot easier on my wallet if I could recreate their yumminess at home.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:13 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Efcliz wrote:
Resurrecting this thread, because I got Fresh for Xmas so rather than start a new one I thought I'd ask about it here. Both books feel similar and they've both definitely got too many juices/smoothie/superfood type stuff for my liking, but the other stuff looks quite good. Any more favourites from either book since this thread started?

I have the original edition of reFresh, titled Juice for Life. According to the copy on Amazon, Juice for Life was "completely revised and updated" for the reFresh edition. So I don't know if the recipes are exactly the same, but I can tell you that one of my favorite meals in the world is the Green Goddess bowl.

I'll also add that in the Juice for Life cookbook, the Simple Sauce recipe (a component of the Green Goddess bowl) contains a crucial copyediting error. It lists sesame oil where it should say roasted sesame oil. I know this because I had the Green Goddess bowl a few times when I've visited Toronto, and when I looked at the recipe it didn't look quite right to me. So, shortly after purchasing the cookbook I called the restaurant to find out if they use plain sesame oil or roasted/toasted sesame oil. They said the cookbook had it wrong, and they used roasted.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:23 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

why do the recipes seem so unappealing? when i actually look at the recipes and THINK about them i end up thinking "oh well, it probably will taste fine" but I still feel no desire to try it out..

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

If the recipes seem unappealing than maybe it's because (in my cookbook at least) the sauces for the recipes are listed in a different section of the cookbook from the recipes themselves.

I have found everything I've had at Tal's restaurant delicious, but I haven't made much from her cookbook, not because of the flavor but because the recipes look time consuming and I'm a slow cook.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:40 am 

I finally got round to doing some cooking from these books if anyone is interested. http://cookingtheveganbooks.com/2013/08 ... d-refresh/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:15 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Efcliz wrote:
I finally got round to doing some cooking from these books if anyone is interested. http://cookingtheveganbooks.com/2013/08 ... d-refresh/

Great reveiw, Efcliz! Thanks for posting that! I'm going to have to delve into these books. I think I went to Fresh something like five times while I was in Toronto in May. I love that place. The Dragon Bowl is my fave, and about the only thing I've made out of the books. You've inspired me to give them another look.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:03 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I really want to get the reFresh book but Amazon and Indigo (in Canada anyway) are constantly out of stock. I have borrowed it from the library a few times, but I would definitely buy my own copy! I hope it's not out of print. I wonder if you can buy copies at the actual restaurant (I live in Toronto).

ETA: The miso gravy is the best thing ever. EVER.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:05 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I think you can, lobsteriffic. In any case, I saw display copies on the counter at the Bloor location this summer, so I assumed they were for sale there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:22 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

lepelaar wrote:
I think you can, lobsteriffic. In any case, I saw display copies on the counter at the Bloor location this summer, so I assumed they were for sale there.

Thanks! I'll go and check into it!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:10 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, lobsteriffic, I've seen them selling the cookbooks at the Bloor Street restaurant (Bloor/Spadina) in the past. When the hey are they gonna open the Yonge/Eglinton Fresh? Every time I pass the site on the bus, which is often enough, it's still not open yet. Summers almost over!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:52 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

lobsteriffic wrote:

Quoted for truth.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:21 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Efcliz wrote:

Nice review. You're tempting me to break out my copy of Juice for Life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:59 pm 

lobsteriffic wrote:
I really want to get the reFresh book but Amazon and Indigo (in Canada anyway) are constantly out of stock. I have borrowed it from the library a few times, but I would definitely buy my own copy! I hope it's not out of print. I wonder if you can buy copies at the actual restaurant (I live in Toronto).

They always have tonnes of used copies at Russell Books in Victoria! I imagine you'd be able to find it used in Toronto.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:40 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

seitanicverses wrote:
Yeah, lobsteriffic, I've seen them selling the cookbooks at the Bloor Street restaurant (Bloor/Spadina) in the past. When the hey are they gonna open the Yonge/Eglinton Fresh? Every time I pass the site on the bus, which is often enough, it's still not open yet. Summers almost over!

No date yet for Y&E opening. Boo!

Thanks for the suggestions! Going to the restaurant to buy the book means eating there, which sounds like a delicious excursion.