| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 985 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

Made the Like an Egyptian Lentil Soup today, and yum! It was wonderful and filling, and I especially loved the extra step of caramelizing the onions in a separate pan and then adding them to the soup at the end. Nummy.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:45 am 
WELFARIST!

daisychain wrote:
seitanicverses wrote:
Ohhh...my friends are staying over too and I'm thinking of making a nice breakfast for them. If they can handle it and are feeling adventurous, I might make the banh mi's for them in the morning (tofu scramble might be a bit much to ask though of omnis, but I have no doubt the banh mis are delicious and might win them over if I can get them to try them). They're super folks though so if I make them, they'll probably try them happily.

A few omni's at work have had a taste of mine anytime I've had it for lunch and they all were really impressed.

Good to know! My only concern is that daikon radishes aren't always available where I shop and I want to give the sammich every advantage, and Terry says in the preamble that the radish relish really makes it extra special. Hope they have daikons when I go shopping this Friday.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made them without the daikon and they were still awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:33 pm 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I have made them without the radishes more often than with. It is still incredible.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:13 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I think you could make the pickle just doubling the carrot and leaving out the daikon and it'd still be awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:49 am 
WELFARIST!

Thanks, guys, for your help and reassurance in subbing the daikon on the relish or leaving it out alternatively. <3 I'm sure it'll be grand. My friend called me last night and said her and her hubby couldn't wait to see me and eat my delicious food this weekend. I think I'll make the sammiches in the morning and then have granola and fruit salad as back up just in case they really balk at them but honestly, I think they'll happily chow down. After all, they made a Tofurkey feast for me last time I went over to their place for dinner and even had a vegan pumpkin cheesecake from a bakery that was positively yummy!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

hi all. i've neglected this cookbook for too long :( how is the beer-bathed seitan stew? it reads pretty darn tasty ;) it's one page 156. also, i'm very very new to making seitan. do seitan cutlets have a very different texture from steamed seitan sausages? i was thinking of just making some sausages (with appropriate seasoning) and using them in the recipe instead.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bookwormbethie wrote:
hi all. i've neglected this cookbook for too long :( how is the beer-bathed seitan stew? it reads pretty darn tasty ;) it's one page 156. also, i'm very very new to making seitan. do seitan cutlets have a very different texture from steamed seitan sausages? i was thinking of just making some sausages (with appropriate seasoning) and using them in the recipe instead.

If it's steamed, it's pretty much the same as sausage without spices.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:11 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Oh man the banh mi is good.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:59 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I just got this insanely gorgeous book yesterday. I'm so excited! I have a whole tub of miso that needs using up, so I made the Noodles with Miso Broth. SO GOOD. I had all the pantry items on hand (including dried shittakes, how random!). I'm gluten-free so used Eden 100% buckwheat soba noodles. At $10 a pack, I had to save them for a special occasion, and this was it! So delicious. Cannot wait to make more. The Korean and German recipes appeal to me the most, though I saw a Turkish zucchini thing that is screaming at me. Love this book already.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

The Chipotle Tofu Cemita Sandwiches are divine. I even messed up the marinade by accidentally omitting the tomato paste, and it was still awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:23 pm 

I had the shredded cabbage with toasted mustard seeds this evening. It was quite nice. Not something I would usually go for so not made up my mind whether I am crazy about it yet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:26 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

The sesame noodles are awesome. Added some beefy seitan for protein, and an avocado. Had to skip the toasted sesame seeds because the ones I had were really old and I didn't want to risk it. I added more sauce to my plate than I'd planned (it's so good) and now I don't have enough for another meal. But if I make more I'll have more than I can eat. :(

Made the ginger marinated cucumbers too, but weren't that impressed. They didn't really add anything to the dish so I don't think I'll make them again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:51 am 
Saggy Butt

Has anyone made the cheesecake yet? Was wondering whether it would go over well for omnis, too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:32 am 
WELFARIST!

The salad (Greek salad/Hortiziki - sp?) was a huge hit with my omni friends as was the pastistio (seconds were asked for of all the food I made) and one friend asked for seconds of the tarte tatin, too. I liked the tarte tatin myself and the recipe works great as written but it's not my fave dessert. I think it would be best if you could find soy ice cream to serve with it (I could only find Coconut Bliss vanilla ice cream to serve with it but apples and coconut really don't go together but I offered it anyway and only one friend took the ice cream and agreed with me that apples and coconuts are not a good fit). But with soy ice cream, it would be better. I don't have an overly sweet tooth but the pie, to my taste, was slightly lacking in sugar. The pastry is lovely and it's a great recipe and not too difficult, either.

And the banh mi the next morning. I loved those! My breakfast guests cleaned their plates and really enjoyed them, too. Really filling, easy to make and super yum. I have some leftover daikon relish so I think I'll make those again this weekend and all for ME!

I think my dinner was a great hit and judging by all the requests for seconds and the scraped clean plates after dinner, my (omni) friends did, too. Thanks, Terry!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:40 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

seitanicverses wrote:
The salad (Greek salad/Hortiziki - sp?) was a huge hit with my omni friends as was the pastistio (seconds were asked for of all the food I made) and one friend asked for seconds of the tarte tatin, too.

Does the Pastistio have lentils in it? My mom stole my copy and I can't remember and Terry is ignoring me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:53 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Nope!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:39 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I had the golden tandoori tofu tonight and it was delicious!!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:12 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I made the preserved lemon braised tempeh with green olives (p267), and the spiced couscous (p303). The tempeh was decent, but had a lot of bitter flavors going on. I think I would like it better with the olives chopped instead of left whole. I added golden raisins to the couscous, and it was quite a nice combo with the tempeh. I would definitely make the couscous again as it was so simple to make, and tasty.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:51 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

i made the beer-bathed seitan stew for dinner tonight, page 156. sooooooooo good. my omni hubby gave the dish 2 thumbs up and said it exceeded his expectations! he admitted he thought the seitan might have broke down, dissolved or gotten mushy while cooking, but none of that happened! next time though we will add a bit of apple cider vinegar in the dish too, we thought it needed just a touch of sour. but as we made it with just the mustard suggestion, it was divine.

instead of making terry's seitan cutlets, i used the basic steamed sausage recipe from 'vegan brunch' but borrowed some different seasoning ideas from the big thread with steamed sausage seasoning variations. i used 3 out of the 4 sausages.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:23 am 

I need to get my act together and ring some supplies companies to see if they will sell me a sack of VWG so I can make the seitan dishes. That's my mission for tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:29 pm 

I made the mapo tofu tonight, fresh shitake option, and loved it. I just used one pack of Mori Nu, so less than half the recipe, and halved everything else except I had a few extra mushrooms, and it was fantastic. Served with brown rice and fried Pak choi. There's an aubergine dish in there with very similar ingredients so I'm going to try that next time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:38 pm 

Gah!!! I found Thai thin soy sauce in the Asian supermarket but it had E numbers I didn't know and my phone was dead so I couldn't google to make sure they werent animal derived.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:09 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

mmm butecha for breakfast with leftover naan!! so, so good. However, both times I've made this my flour mixture went to "too thick to whisk" almost immediately, I certainly couldn't have used a whisk for 4-6 minutes. And then it got very very stiff but I managed to keep stirring (ow my arm hurts!) for a total of like 8 minutes. I really wanted to make sure the flour didn't taste raw, even though I'd toasted it as called for. I'd like to make a fluffier and less dense end product, maybe I should up the liquid ingredients hmm...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:22 pm 

Hahaha, I had leftover butecha for breakfast the last 2 days! (see the 'best thing about your day' thread!).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 985 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 40  Next