| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:10 pm 
Huffs Nooch

We made the Sizzling Pho Noodle Soup with the Savory Baked Tofu option. The tofu was perfect, but the noodle broth was WAYYYY too cinnamon-y for our taste. We followed the directions to the letter. Anyone else with this problem? I looked up other pho recipes online, and most seem to use just 1 cinnamon stick instead of the 3 called for in this recipe. Kind of disappointed...going to re-purpose the ingredients to make the Vietnamese Noodle Salad from AFR.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:17 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

bcakes wrote:
This week I made the red wine braised leeks and mushrooms and the roasted beet salad. The beet salad was delicious and very easy (basically peel and roast the beets and mix the dressing). The leeks and mushrooms were good, but I think I would cut the leeks smaller next time to make them easier to clean and easier to eat. Leaving them almost whole was a nice presentation, but they turned out chewier than I would have liked. (My husband really liked them, which isn't a surprise because he generally likes anything with a savory sauce).

I'm planning on cooking the red wine braised leeks and mushrooms this week but had some apprehensions about slicing the leeks so thickly. Do you think it would still work if I sliced them quite thinly (1/4 inch) and sauteed them before adding the wine? I don't mind if they fall apart. :-)

Also, does anyone know whether there's any reason why the mushrooms can't also be braised in the wine with the leeks? Would they absorb too much wine (and if so, is that really a bad thing...)?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:00 am 
Saggy Butt

Efcliz wrote:
I have had a jar of those pickles constantly in my fridge since testing. I love them. I just keep throwing extra daikon and carrot into the same liquid as I use them up.

Just made the daikon pickles last night, because I had a daikon radish in the fridge and remembered seeing a VEW recipe. They were yummy atop lettuce wrap grilled veggie burgers, and even better atop my spin on the Vcon Brooklyn Deli Macaroni Salad... WOW. My husband was raving about the salad, couldn't believe it was vegan - and then once I gave him a bite WITH the pickles? Over the top, for sure - I agree. Like fireworks on the palate. This shall be my breakfast today, in fact!

I fouled up, in my haste, and read the "y-shaped vegetable peeler" but NOT the "julienne" part - so I made ribbons of daikon and carrot before I realized my mistake. However, the texture and appearance were fabulous in ribbon form! The only bad part was the peppercorns were constantly wrapped up and hiding in the ribbons I'd served myself, something I imagine isn't a problem with smaller matchstick veggies.

I find myself using this book way too infrequently, and it's a bummer. When I pull it down from the shelf, I always seem to be missing multiple ingredients, or can't find a recipe that seems fitting to what I have AND meets my cravings. Rather than my usual digging thru the plethora of other books as a craving strikes, with a semi-full American pantry, I think this book takes a little bit of planning ahead - so I shall work on that!

I really like the idea of re-using the liquid, and adding fresh veggies. Thank you!

ETA: Just served up a nice plate of the macaroni salad + daikon pickles and leftover/cold tofu chicharones from VV... <yum>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:25 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Had a decadent vegan meal last night, and needed a light, clean, green breakfast this morning to compensate. Ate the entire batch of Sesame Wow Greens, and it was so good I was licking the bowl clean. This might be my new favorite breakfast! I cut back on the sesame sauce by half since I was consuming the whole batch at once, and am saving the rest of the sauce for tomorrow. Brilliant, simple, delicious meal.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:10 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I've received another request for the VEW index (the old one, not the one by region), so here's the download link in case someone else wants it too: Vegan Eats World Index.pdf. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm borrowing this from the library to try it out (until I can buy it!), and I only have one week left before it's due back. What three things should I make?! I like food from all cuisines, but I'm leaning towards Bulgogi for a Korean fusion pizza I've been trying to make (but still need to pick up chickpea flour!), as well as the panzanella. Or are there other better things to try? I want to do some of the Thai things, but I don't know that I'll have all the soy sauces in time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

That panzanella is to die for.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm trying to think of things I've made that you don't need to go out of your way for weird ingredients... The panzanella is to die for, like AP said, so another vote confirming that choice. I also really like the chickpea scrambled eggs and the seitan gyros. I've made all the curries and have liked them, but if I had to pick one The Its Not Easy Being Green curry is standing out in my mind (can't offhand confirm the special ingredient stipulation though).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

emmalv wrote:
I'm trying to think of things I've made that you don't need to go out of your way for weird ingredients... The panzanella is to die for, like AP said, so another vote confirming that choice. I also really like the chickpea scrambled eggs and the seitan gyros. I've made all the curries and have liked them, but if I had to pick one The Its Not Easy Being Green curry is standing out in my mind (can't offhand confirm the special ingredient stipulation though).

It calls for galangal, which I couldn't find here, but I think it's optional. Oh, and lemongrass, but I think that's an easier find. Other things that I really liked were the autumn kale salad (can't think of the actual name) and the Egyptian lentil soup.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:37 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

allularpunk wrote:
emmalv wrote:

It calls for galangal, which I couldn't find here, but I think it's optional. Oh, and lemongrass, but I think that's an easier find. Other things that I really liked were the autumn kale salad (can't think of the actual name) and the Egyptian lentil soup.

Awesome. I will definitely do the panzanella, and probably the green curry. Oddly enough, it is super easy for me to get galangal here. And definitely lemongrass too. I will have to look for the Egyptian soup recipe and the chickpea eggs. Thanks, guys!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:44 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

allularpunk wrote:
emmalv wrote:

I know I didn't use galangal, so either its optional or I didn't feel it suffered without it! And lemongrass should hopefully be easier to find, even without resorting to WF. I also bought a small canister of dried lemongrass for in a pinch (but fresh is obviously way better). Anyway, there's plenty of good stuff without needing to find specialty items.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I managed to find the galangal here at a local asian supermarket. That curry is amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:02 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

allularpunk wrote:
emmalv wrote:

I know I didn't use galangal, so either its optional or I didn't feel it suffered without it! And lemongrass should hopefully be easier to find, even without resorting to WF. I also bought a small canister of dried lemongrass for in a pinch (but fresh is obviously way better). Anyway, there's plenty of good stuff without needing to find specialty items.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:26 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I haven't made anything I haven't liked, but the bulgogi is CRAZY GOOD. We've made it like three times since the book came out, which is a lot, considering we make new recipes more often than repeats.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:54 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I made the garlic naan recipe tonight. Best. naan. recipe. EVER!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:37 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Iselia wrote:
I made the garlic naan recipe tonight. Best. naan. recipe. EVER!

I made half-whole wheat version of the garlic naan (+ sprinkled with parsley because I don't have cilantro) and then spread ajvar on it. Crazy good.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:57 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I finally caved and bought the book... and it does look wonderful indeed.

Just had the panzanella for dinner (half recipe all for myself, ha!) and it was lovely. I did not have canned plain artichokes so I used some that are already marinated with herbs and oil and come in a jar. It worked perfectly! The only thing I might modify in the future ist to add a little sweetener to the dressing for balancing out the acidity.

Also, I just finished a batch of the greek lemon-rice-soup thingy. Although it is technically summer, weather has been unfriendly last week so I figured a hearty soup would not hurt. I never had avgolemono soup so I cannot compare but it was good for what it is. Not spectacular but very tasty and came together pretty easily.

And I just made half a batch of the baked tofu, Eastern European version to eat in sandwiches. Will report back.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:08 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I brought a variation on the quiona pistachio date salad to a forth of July family BBQ/potluck. Everyone looooved it and wanted the recipe!

I did dried apricots instead of dates since they were on sale and really nice. I actually like the salad now better with apricots!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:16 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Chicki wrote:
I brought a variation on the quiona pistachio date salad to a forth of July family BBQ/potluck. Everyone looooved it and wanted the recipe!

I did dried apricots instead of dates since they were on sale and really nice. I actually like the salad now better with apricots!

Yeah, that salad is really good and was popular with my omni family. Apricots sound like a good swap too, and the colour would be a nice contrast. I should make it for a potluck sometime. That one, and the roasted pita chips, butternut squash and kale salad (can't remember the exact name) are my two favourites from what I've tried.

creep wrote:
I haven't made anything I haven't liked, but the bulgogi is CRAZY GOOD. We've made it like three times since the book came out, which is a lot, considering we make new recipes more often than repeats.

How did I not notice the bulgogi recipe?! Get in ma mouf! Will have to make that asap.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:45 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

oh man. I made the Seitan Bo Bun, but with tofu in the same marinade and just sort of used whatever veggies I had in the fridge to cut up on top - lettuce, carrots, thin slices of kohlrabi and of course cilantro and mint. It was last minute meal, so I didn't make it exactly to the recipe, but oh man, was it delicious! that sauce!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:41 am 
WELFARIST!

ijustdiedinside wrote:
oh man. I made the Seitan Bo Bun, but with tofu in the same marinade and just sort of used whatever veggies I had in the fridge to cut up on top - lettuce, carrots, thin slices of kohlrabi and of course cilantro and mint. It was last minute meal, so I didn't make it exactly to the recipe, but oh man, was it delicious! that sauce!!

Ha! I was just coming in to post that I have to make that salad again soon--it's my favorite thing thus far from the book (of stuff tried so far) and one of my all-time favorite things EVAR. I think subbing tofu would be fabulous in it, especially if you don't have time to make the special (I think it's coriander) seitan ahead.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:12 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Made the Pad Thai tonight, and it was hands-down the best one I've ever made at home. I did not use avocados, as the recipe instructs. I used a whole mess of other veggies, though (mushrooms, bok choy, spinach, green peppers, scallions, bean sprouts) and it was so delicious. I seem to have a problem working with those noodles, though. I always get some clumps that stick together, no matter what I do.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:08 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Made the Jamaican curry powder and the squash plantain curry with it today. I did change the vegetables a little according to what I had on hand (no chayote or zucchini, only one plantain, added carrots and peas, thai chilis instead of habanero).

I like it! It is my first time eating Jamaican curry and I enjoyed the flavour profile a lot! Sadly the squash I used does not have the best flavour after being in the freezer for half a year but the end result is still good. And now I have Jamaican curry powder to use in other recipes. Yay!

Oh and that baked tofu with Eastern European flavours? It was gone too quickly! Will definitely repeat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:58 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The red lentil dahl is super easy and amaaazing. I'm pretty sure we had everything already in our pantry too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The shakshuka is awesome! Green tahini sauce mandatory though. That was my favorite part. It looks complicated because of the long ingredient list, but it was actually really easy... 30 minute meal easy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 41  Next