| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:19 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I made the bisteeya and carrot salad yesterday, and both were fantastic. Working with phyllo was surprisingly painless, and it was definitely a good show stopper type entree.

I'm 6 for 6 on recipes from this book!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

I ordered this from Herbivore on the weekend. I was gonna ask for it for Christmas, but I can't wait any longer! Soon, my cookbook envy will end!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:35 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The cultured cheese spread with French herbs is fantastic!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:36 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Last night made the Island Brown Rice and Peas (not really peas, but beans. I used kidney beans)

It was a solid beans and rice recipe. Very cheap, nice flavor profile, and made a TON. I do think that it needs to be punched up a bit. I will add more peppers and some ginger next time I think. Yes, there will be a next time. It did take FOREVER to cook though. Stupid brown rice. Good recipe to make on the weekend when you have time, and use it throughout the week.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Chicki wrote:
Last night made the Island Brown Rice and Peas (not really peas, but beans. I used kidney beans)

It was a solid beans and rice recipe. Very cheap, nice flavor profile, and made a TON. I do think that it needs to be punched up a bit. I will add more peppers and some ginger next time I think. Yes, there will be a next time. It did take FOREVER to cook though. Stupid brown rice. Good recipe to make on the weekend when you have time, and use it throughout the week.

I liked this one! We couldn't find habaneros, so my husband added Dave's Insanity Sauce instead. It was hot as fork.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:25 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

saveur wrote:
My take on shashuska is the same as you - egg simmered in a tomato broth. In my pre-vegan days, I tried Smitten Kitchen's recipe but found a bit too spicy for me. I've made the recipe in VEW and did not find it at all the same.. I wondered whether the tahini was supposed to replace the egg??

Thanks, that's good to know. I spent my early childhood in Israel and I know my parents were a bit unconventional with their shakshouka (sometimes they'd put cheese in it, too) but it was basically scrambled eggs with tomato sauce, green peppers and spices.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:47 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

The picture of the shakshuka looks so good, though! I haven't tried it yet, but I definitely will.

Does anyone know a brand of vegan vegetarian stir-fry/oyster sauce? The one I looked at at the store (Lee Kum Kee brand) didn't seem to be vegan due to some additives and I can't find anything on the web.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:16 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Shukriyya wrote:
The picture of the shakshuka looks so good, though! I haven't tried it yet, but I definitely will.

Does anyone know a brand of vegan vegetarian stir-fry/oyster sauce? The one I looked at at the store (Lee Kum Kee brand) didn't seem to be vegan due to some additives and I can't find anything on the web.

That's the one I bought. What doesn't look vegan about it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:11 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

I wasn't sure about some of the E-numbers and when I looked it up I found this website which says it contains E631 (which is usually made from meat or fish) and E627 (could be from animal sources as well). The website could be wrong, but I can't seem to find the ingredients on Lee Kum Kee's website.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:47 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I'm in the U.S., and the one I bought doesn't say any of that stuff. Soooo, I dunno.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:02 pm 
Saggy Butt

I made three recipes so far this week. First up was the Yassa Lemon Mustard Tofu. OMG this was so good. I like mustard but was a bit worried about the amount. I did not cook mine at 400F. I thought it was a bit high and know that my oven usually burns things quickly at that temp. I cooked it at 375F instead. The tofu was so juicy. My omni husband loved it and gave me a great idea for the leftovers - put it in a sandwich. Tofu, onions, and carrots on toasted bread, with lettuce, vegan mayo and some hot sauce. It was a great way to use the leftover tofu.

Next was the Jollof Brown Rice with Fresh Thyme. So good. Again, I didn't bake it at 400. Next time I might try the higher temp to get the rice crispier. But this was very good and will make it again.

Last night was the Greek Creamy Lemon Rice Soup. Another winner. I gobbled up two big bowls of this. I never had the classic non-vegan version of this, but my husband has and he said it was very close and liked this vegan version better. Yeah!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:15 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I think that lemon soup might be next on my list. Sounds really good!

Last night I made the pickled red onions. Just wanted something extra to go on my Ancho Lentil Tacos.

Dude, this was so easy, and they are SO GOOD. Een my onion hating partner liked them!

I have a bunch left over. I am the kind of person that gets cravings for sour/savory/spicy stuff, not sweets. So the container will probably be gone by the end of the week.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:19 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm a wimp. I made the great big vegetable couscous (preserved lemon version) and it was hot but very good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:31 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

The ma po tofu and spicy eggplant are tasty! Pretty similar-tasting though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:12 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Shukriyya wrote:
I wasn't sure about some of the E-numbers and when I looked it up I found this website which says it contains E631 (which is usually made from meat or fish) and E627 (could be from animal sources as well). The website could be wrong, but I can't seem to find the ingredients on Lee Kum Kee's website.

I assumed that because it's specifically called vegetarian that those are from non-animal sources but it might be worth dropping them an email.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:17 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

PorshaJo wrote:
Last night was the Greek Creamy Lemon Rice Soup. Another winner. I gobbled up two big bowls of this. I never had the classic non-vegan version of this, but my husband has and he said it was very close and liked this vegan version better. Yeah!

After a couple days in the fridge, I thought this soup tasted exactly like I remember traditional chicken noodle tasting. It makes me want to try it with soy curls next!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:33 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

molly wrote:
PorshaJo wrote:

After a couple days in the fridge, I thought this soup tasted exactly like I remember traditional chicken noodle tasting. It makes me want to try it with soy curls next!

i'm so excited to make this recipe. this was one of my favorite soups as a kid! we used to go to this fancy greek restaurant and I'd always order it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:01 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

I made Pad See Ew a couple days ago, it was totally delicious! And easy!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:43 am 
ugh

I just got this from the library. Damn, you all weren't kidding when you set it was a beautiful book. The introductory sections and menus towards the end look like they'll be really helpful.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:31 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

j-dub wrote:

I am going to make that dish this weekend. Brought the cookbook to work, stopping by the ranch 99 market on the way home tonight to try and find some of the hard to find ingredients (the soy sauces etc).

Did you sub any of the sauces or anything? In case I have to? The Ranch 99 store is more korean/Japenese friendly, not so much Thai.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:56 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Chicki wrote:
j-dub wrote:

I am going to make that dish this weekend. Brought the cookbook to work, stopping by the ranch 99 market on the way home tonight to try and find some of the hard to find ingredients (the soy sauces etc).

Did you sub any of the sauces or anything? In case I have to? The Ranch 99 store is more korean/Japenese friendly, not so much Thai.

Yeah, I couldn't find them either and didn't have time to adventure into Chinatown. I used half dark mushroom soy sauce and half braggs. I'm sure it's not so authentic but it's plenty tasty.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:15 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I made the Seitan Gyro Roll Ups today, they were super garlicky and delicious. I'll be making them again fo' sure!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:21 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I did a couple of things from this book over the weekend. Excited about them (and bored at work), so here are my reviews.

The Pad See Ew was so so so so spot on. It tasted EXACTLY like it does at my favorite Thai restaurant. I did visit a couple of asian market stores (a Ranch 99 and a special Thai market) so I was able to get all the ingredients for the sauce. I also found a very nice, very cheap 'dry' tofu, which means already baked in a package. This is also exactly how the tofu is at most Thai restaurants around here. I also subbed in regular broccoli and carrots for the chinese broccoli (also what our local Thai place does). I did get the fresh wide noodles. Those last forever in the fridge or freezer by the way, so we stocked up.

It was so good. Seriously. This is one of our favorite things to eat when we go out for Thai food. We kept looking at each other and saying how awsome this was. Making the spicy drunken noodles tonight! Can't wait!

I also made the Jackfruit Carnitas and the white beans and rice. The beans and rice was good, a nice basic beans and rice dish, cheap and easy to make. Needs a little something though, so I added lots of hot sauce. Also added some frozen corn at the end to stretch it out for leftovers during the week.

So this was my first time using Jackfruit. It kinda freaked me out. It looks so much like canned shredded chicken while I was shredding it up with my fingers. Once it was cooked, it looked just like pork. And the texture was spot on too. It freaked me out, but I liked it. Will be using again.

The marinade was great, but it was SUPER HOT for me. I don't understand why. My partner didn't think it was hot enough. I have a slight allergy to pineapple, my mouth gets really ichy and stuff, so I think this might have made it seem hotter to me than it actually was! I served the tacos with avacado and the pickeled red onions (also from this book - they are soooo good)

Going to make the lettuce wraps this week too. And although I didn't use a recipe from the book, I was inspired to make Gyoza, since I found vegan wrappers at Ranch 99. (I also found Mock Duck finally. Can't wait to use it, but my parnter is scared of it. I should never have let him see the can)

Spent like $45 at the asian markets. Now I have enough stuff to make like a dozen things, just need to buy the veggies and proteins. Totally worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:08 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I made a tweaked version of the pho while testing, but I made it properly today. Well, I made the broth and seitan yesterday afternoon, marinated the tofu overnight and put it all together when I got in. It was the best thing ever to come home to after an endless freezing cold Monday. Delicious.

I'm making the pineapple fried rice tomorrow. This is a good food week.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:06 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Hello everyone! Happy to see you're enjoying the booksky!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1023 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 41  Next