| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 967 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:56 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

making the tofu cemita sandwiches tonight, i'm confident they will come out fantastic due to the happy comments about that recipe here. mmmmm.......... can't wait for dinner ;)

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:19 pm 
Nailed to the V

Just finished a bowl of the White Bean Farro Soup with the Chickpea Parmigiana Topping. I'm in the most delightful, happy food coma right now! The soup is wonderfully hearty, creamy, and satisfying. The topping is very unique, but I love it! It gives the soup such a lovely, fresh brightness from the lemon juice. I can't wait to test it out in other dishes, too!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

ah the tofu cemita sandwich was awesome. didn't have lime juice so subbed orange juice and all was fine. we only used 1 TBS chipotle/adobe, i can't imagine how spicy 3 TBS would have been!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:58 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I made the scrambled chickpea eggs. I had to use red onion instead of shallots since I was out and used a tortilla wrap instead of injera because I'm too broke to go shopping for ingredients. It was seriously tasty. I ate half of the entire recipe and now I'm tempted to go back for seconds.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Anek wrote:
Just made the Orange & Fennel Tempeh, omg it was the most delicious thing ever! I love tempeh but all the juicy recipes take so long, this was simple and quick and so damn tasty. A keeper.

I can't find this! What page is it on?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:10 pm 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

fisticuffs wrote:
Anek wrote:
Just made the Orange & Fennel Tempeh, omg it was the most delicious thing ever! I love tempeh but all the juicy recipes take so long, this was simple and quick and so damn tasty. A keeper.

I can't find this! What page is it on?

PM!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Shukriyya wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
@Shukriyya
do you need any help with this index project???

I can't really think of a good way to share the workload among people, but I'll let you know if I do! Thanks for offering! :)

okay, it just seems like an enormous project!
a chapter a person?

i was thinking of going through myself, with some of the more harder-to-find or exotic ingredeints, and making a list of recipes that use those same ingredients, you know so you aren't stuck with a half open something and not know what to do with it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:03 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Do you mean things like the various sauces? Because I wasn't going to include those, so feel free to make a list! We can combine them afterwards.

I was basically just going to list various vegetables and the recipes in which they occur, because that's how I use indexes. You know, like: "Oh, I have some cauliflower that needs to be eaten, which recipes use cauliflower?" I'm also going to include items that are often used in other recipes, like the basic baked tofu, so you can make a double batch and then use them in different recipes.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:38 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Good Lard, you guys aren't kidding about the index on this thing.

I've been trying to find the chickpea eggs people are raving about and can't. Not a single entry under chickpea or garbanzo.

Poor Terry. Such a beautiful labor of love and her publisher has to fork up something as simple as the index.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:19 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

lavawitch wrote:

I've been trying to find the chickpea eggs people are raving about and can't. Not a single entry under chickpea or garbanzo.

Poor Terry. Such a beautiful labor of love and her publisher has to fork up something as simple as the index.

Page 269 (I found it under beans.)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:32 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Thanks. I finally went through the table of contents to find it.

I feel like we should all try to give page numbers when we talk about this book.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:34 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Shukriyya wrote:
Do you mean things like the various sauces? Because I wasn't going to include those, so feel free to make a list! We can combine them afterwards.

I was basically just going to list various vegetables and the recipes in which they occur, because that's how I use indexes. You know, like: "Oh, I have some cauliflower that needs to be eaten, which recipes use cauliflower?" I'm also going to include items that are often used in other recipes, like the basic baked tofu, so you can make a double batch and then use them in different recipes.

not sure about the various sauces, i haven't picked up the book in a few days, but i was more thinking about some of the ingredients that need to be sought out, i.e. jackfruit in a can, or something like that. something that your grocery store is not going to carry. a situation where the recipe might not use all the ingredient and now you're like, what else can i do with this?

so yes, if you would like, i'll start working on this, and we can combine later.......

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

lavawitch wrote:

agreed. at first i didn't care about the lack of a great index, but now i admit, i find it mildy annoying. although the table of contents is awesome ;)

i also wish there was an appendix in the back where all the recipes were listed by country/region.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:03 pm 

In the past week I've made a bunch of dishes! Tonight was the bibimbap and bulgogi seitan. It was amazing. I'd always lamented the lack of a rock bowl (or whatever those are called) and never thought to fry the rice in a dutch oven to get it nice and crunchy. Yesterday I made the Tibetan momos, sambal, and cabbage slaw. And earlier in the week I did the baked gnocchi and the endive and apple salad, and sesame noodles and mango-avocado-cashew salad. It was all SO good!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:34 am 

bookwormbethie wrote:
i also wish there was an appendix in the back where all the recipes were listed by country/region.

Yes!

mandycoot: dolsot is the stone pot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I made the curry lobia last night. Super easy and delicious! It went straight into the freezer for a later meal, but what I tasted was yummy and perfect for naan scooping.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:56 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Also...boyfriend made the Egyptian Lentil Soup and it was awesome. We ate it fresh and later for leftovers. Great both times.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:38 am 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I made just the carmalized onions from the Egyptian Lentil Soup recipe, and put them on a pita bread and toasted it in the oven (served with another soup)

It was SO GOOD. Those onions are the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:15 pm 

Just ate a bowl of Korean stir-fried noodles. I had to make a bunch of substitutions but it was so good! I added baked tofu and napa cabbage and did not use any evil mushrooms. A bit of kimchi on the side. Sadly the last of the farmers' market kimchi so now I'll have to wait until mid-August for more. The stuff they sell in supermarkets is absolutely vile.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:38 pm 

Page numbers! The baked tofu recipe is on page 50 and the noodles on page 228-9.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:51 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

i made the sauerkraut and mushroom soup with grilled field roast smoked apple and sage sausages last night. everybody thought that it sounded gross, but they loved it when they ate it. my omni nephew even liked it! the sour dilly cream is on page 70 and the soup is on page 130.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:07 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I made pad see ew over the weekend - it was easy and good (but I at least doubled the sauce and then randomly poured more sauce ingredients over the leftovers to make them saucy enough for me). It also made way more dirty dishes than such a simple dish deserved.

My mother in law made me the quinoa-spinach-date salad, which is fantastic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:47 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Has anyone made the Mediterranean variation of the baked tofu (p50)? Mine is still in the oven, some 20 minutes past the recommended time, swimming in an ocean of marinade. I double checked in the book, and it does indeed call for 1/2 cup each of orange juice and white wine. It's easily twice as much marinade as the Asian variety, probably more. Is this a typo?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:56 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I just made it last night actually, and mine came out just fine in the allotted time and all of the marinade had been soaked up. I wonder if it could be particular to the tofu that you used or a deep baking dish. I used the 16 oz. super firm tofu (that doesn't have to be pressed) and put it in slices in a lasagna-sized baking dish.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:06 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I made the Fusilli with Almost-sicilian Arugula Pesto, Potatoes, and Peas (p.241) tonight and it was really yummy and so easy to make!
I omitted the chili pepper so that it wouldn't be to spicy for my 16 month old daughter. She really loved it as well, and she can be very picky so that's good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 967 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 39  Next